rescue signal equipment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uscgrescueswimmer,
Do you have a pic of your jacket? And perhaps a listing of all the gadgets you carry for ocean diving? I need to start my collection/wishlist. :wink:

cdiver2:
You have answered one of my main questions. When I lived in the UK and dived with the club boat we always called the CG and told them when,where,how many and what time we should be back. Then a call when we got back to let them know. I have never heard of this being done in the US and wondered if this was a case of divers not doing it or the CG not wanting them to do it.

I will get back to them. Thanks

pretty much its that we are so busy with the stuff on our plates now its just easier not to have to keep track of divers. This may sound harsh but not being like a babysitter. You know we would have people all the time that fininsh diving make a honest mistake to forget to call and decide to go have a nice dinner somewere. Mean while we have resources trying to find out were these people are. That is pretty much the main reason.

uscgrescueswimmer:
pretty much its that we are so busy with the stuff on our plates now its just easier not to have to keep track of divers. This may sound harsh but not being like a babysitter. You know we would have people all the time that fininsh diving make a honest mistake to forget to call and decide to go have a nice dinner somewere. Mean while we have resources trying to find out were these people are. That is pretty much the main reason.

I thought that was the reason. There is a diffrence between the US and UK CG, In the UK all they do is search & Rescue the navy takes care of a lot of the other things that you guys do.

Desa:
:yelclap: What he said
Im glad my first post could contribute some good for me and anybody that got some good info from it.

hehe...

I carry 2 6 foot orange sausages bungied on the lower corners of the backpack (can always reach one with either hand). 2nd flash light (LED type always on my BC shoulder strap for every dive wether a 'main' light goes or not. Always have small reel in a pocket and add a wreck reel for all ocean/deep dives. Carry a clear/red signal mirror on the strap opposit side from backup light (sits flat under the BC inflator hose).

Just ordered the 330 foot strobelight refrenced above along with a safety whistle... :wink:

My wife and I both have noise making devices, SMB's, and lights. I also carry a jon line, which I could use to tie us together, and as far as a streamer, I guess we could deflate one of the SMB's. I also carry a signaling mirror and a pair of diving flares. I guess a strobe is next on the list of "must haves."

I think the idea behind the rescue streamer is that the length is what makes it visible - 25' versus 6'. The theory is that a straight line is easier for the eye to detect.

Scubaroo:
I think the idea behind the rescue streamer is that the length is what makes it visible - 25' versus 6'. The theory is that a straight line is easier for the eye to detect.

and I heard that length wasn't important :wink:

Having been involved in a previous thread where scubaroo mentioned the safety streamer, I was enamoured with the idea and have made one! I didn't have the funds to purchse one so I bought some bright yellow sail-type fabric- reinforced it with plastic collar stays (like the real safety stremers) to prevent it twisting, and made it the same size. I have thankfully not had to try it out yet, but It might help in an emergency.

Oh- and to add to the list- whistles, sausage,(one six foot- one big plastic condom 12 fter) signal mirror (newly bought) flashing mini-strobe.

safe diving everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom