Reusing DUI neck seal zip ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the zipper still doesn't leak enough to convince me to drop the $130 on a replacement. I've been spending my gear time on rebuilding regs and valves, but when I do replace the zipper I'll post about it.

If you do a search, I have found some very good guides before on here, which I would most likely follow while I make my own :) No need to rebuild the wheel, but every DIYer has a different experience and view of the project, and can provide help with different aspects they experienced problems with.

Well, if I wind up doing mine before you do your I'll be sure to post it too. Good luck. Zippers seem to be a varied experience for DIY for sure. I'm thinking contact cement for adhesive and E-6000 for sealant.

Jake

Reviving and old thread to ask a question: Did you use or feel you needed some sort of jig or template to make it easier to make sure the neck rings and seal line nicely? I could see having a problem installing the neck seal in the suit if the rings aren't lined up.

I'm guessing you used seal cement for the neck seal as well?

Thanks,

Henrik

I did not use a jig...I put on the outside or top ring first, and it kind of fell into place easily. I lined the bottom up to the top seal as best I could. The rings and seal are flexible, which makes it a little difficult to get it perfect. I actually did have issues getting the neck seal to hold in place in the drysuit, most likely because the top and bottom rings were ever so slightly misaligned.

I did use the same seal cement on wrist and neck. Still holding up fine a year later, but the wrist seals are still too tight for the person using the suit, so I might replace them with some larger seals. If I were doing it again from scratch, I would spend another $15 or whatnot on an extra set of wrist seals, one size larger than I thought was right, to make sure the user would be happy. Or, you could use cone seals...

Thanks for the extra info. Sounds like some sort of jig to line up the top and bottom rings might be helpful. I'll see if I can come up with something.

sorry to resurrect such on old thread but I wanted to try this and I'm unsure on the correct glue to use. Would aquasure work? JahJahwarrior said seal cement is that the mcnett one?
I also found this thread but I'm not familiar with any of the glues mentioned (or where to source them in europe...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom