Review: DRIS 28lb BP/W System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was a wonderful thread to stumble upon ( thread-jack aside! ). I took the advice and PM's DRIS. His reply was very good and I just ordered one. (Used Sik_Z33's email in the referral field.)

It was a toss up between this and the Zeagle Express Tech and I think I'm going to be very happy with this rig. If you read this, thanks Mike!!

Regards,
Chris

Yes, Mike is great. Hi-Jack, but thank you for taking care of my regulator issue.

And good choice, chrpai, I would take DRIS bp/w over Express Tech any day. It has potential take you much further in your diving career.

Thanks so much Seajay! really appreciate your explanation there and thanks to you, i think i finally rigged everything up except for the SS tank bands.

This is my 1st BCD and my 1st experience with a BP/W. After rigging it up and putting it on without the heavy tank, i can feel that the backplate definitely does not hurt as much as i thought it would. My initial thought was that a SS BP would hurt my back due to its inability to conform to my body but after putting it on , it feels like the BP actuallly supports my back.

Wing wise, i must say it is pretty streamline and it does not jut out of my body as much as i thought it would, which is a good thing but i guess this would depend on one's body size as well.

For a beginner, i reckon this BP/W an awesome buy and would recommend it to anyone looking for a BP/W package!

And I must say Thanks to Debbie for being so accommodating despite my numerous questions and requests. so Kudos to you DRIS!

You're welcome, tin_2! Call me or text me at 843-252-4500 if you have any questions - which I am sure you will. :)

Congrats on a great purchase!

When I got the wing those were my thoughts exactly even though its clearly shown in the pictures with no cam slots. I'm also all for being as secure as possible and I see what you mean but with the STA securely bolted to the BP this rig feels solid as a rock. I was also bummed because I can't use this wing with my transpac if I ever wanted to. But now I'm not sure how much diving the old transpac is going to get now that I've seen the light.
I wouldn't worry at all about using a STA. If you think about, doubled tanks are secured to plates with those same 2 bolts.
In fact time was DiveRite plates and Halcyon single wings had no cam slots. The single tank adapter was developed to....well adapt a plate, typically used to support banded doubles, for use with a single tank.
I much prefer using a STA. Although I have not yet tried a DSS rig which is a proprietary system designed and developed for use without a STA.

Same experience here as Splitlip.

I have used lots of different plates - DSS, Oxycheq (Scott Koplin), Fred T, Dive Rite, OMS... In various sizes, thicknesses, weights, and materials. I have dived plates and wings without STAs (Halcyon Pioneer wings) and with STAs from Oxycheq (Koplin), Dive Rite and Halcyon. Some of the STAs were weighted, some of them not, some of them convertible (removable weights), one of them a two-piece design, and one of them a "light" hourglass design.

There's advantages and disadvantages to many of the different configurations that I've dived, but in the long run I chose to dive a Koplin (Oxycheq) "light" STA (in an hourglass shape) on my Oxycheq (Koplin) stainless plate in medium (standard) length with a Halcyon Eclipse 30 wing. I also very much like the same plate made by Halcyon. Both have beautiful finishes to them.

I find that STA-less configurations feel less solid than STAed configurations, especially when gearing up and before you have the cam bands tight on the rig. I also find that the extra 1/2" of space provided by a STA helps me to find better head/first stage clearance without having to put the tank so low on my back that the tank hits the backs of my legs or prevents me from being able to manipulate my valve.

A recent thread on the subject shows that many people agree with my opinion, but not everybody does... And that it can be a very volatile subject. :)

FWIW, I am 6'1" tall and 225 lbs.

Also FWIW, this DRIS system is virtually identical to my own chosen system that I describe above.

Now... let's talk about hoses.... :wink:

Yes, lets!

DIR/UTD/Hog being what it is, I've come across multiple opinions / statements:

1) Rec style is fine for rec diving
2) Dive the same for Tec and Rec - 7' hose
3) 5' hose is fine for Rec / Openwater use
4) 5' hose is better for Rec because if you don't have a canister it'll be hard to stow the extra 2'.

My gear ( DRIS 28lb BP/W and Hog single tank D1/D2 kit with 26" hose and black 1.5" SPG and 7' hose ) arrives next week so it kinda is what it is but I wouldn't mind talking it out.

anyone else unable to find the
DRIS 28lb
BP/W on dive right scuba site? my uncle is thinking of gettin one after seeing mine and its no longer on their site

Yes, lets!

DIR/UTD/Hog being what it is, I've come across multiple opinions / statements:

1) Rec style is fine for rec diving
2) Dive the same for Tec and Rec - 7' hose
3) 5' hose is fine for Rec / Openwater use
4) 5' hose is better for Rec because if you don't have a canister it'll be hard to stow the extra 2'.

My gear ( DRIS 28lb BP/W and Hog single tank D1/D2 kit with 26" hose and black 1.5" SPG and 7' hose ) arrives next week so it kinda is what it is but I wouldn't mind talking it out.

You did the right thing, and there's always various opinions about it.

Firstly, I haven't seen a PADI AOW book in many years, but a Hogarthian style long hose primary used to be pictured on page 8 of it, circa 2001 or so. The concept of a Hog long hose primary may be unusual to many, but that's the fault of your instructor if it was covered in the AOW manual. It should have been covered in class if it was covered in your AOW class manuals.

Secondly, ALL diving is "decompression" diving... That is, the same basic rules apply whether you're a sport diver, "rec" diver, "tech" diver, commercial diver, scientific diver, military diver, or whatever. Yes, the agencies have to classify "levels" of diving so that they can progressively sell more classes, and so they tend to do it by calling some of it "rec" and some of it "tech." But it's a misnomer. Diving gets progressively more technical the more you do it - that is, some dives are more advanced than others - but there is no real division of "rec" and "tech," and you'll do better and progress faster if you wipe the concept from your brain. PADI classifies "tech" diving as, "Diving outside the limits of recreational diving," but to those who dive to 250' and do staged decompression, unless it's a job requirement, it's still "recreational." In other words, it's "fun," and that's the only reason they do it, regardless of depth, gear choices, gasses used, or complexity of the dive. In fact, to a commercial diver, any dive that's not a paying job is "recreational." To a military diver, any job that isn't a training or "live" is "recreational."

Conversely, I have seen many divers diving doubles or rebreathers or FFMs or drysuits or doing staged diving or even diving backplates, wings or "tech" BCs WITHIN "recreational limits," so the line for "rec" and "tech" is equally blurry from both sides. Avoid using the concept so that you will not see a barrier to your next advancement in dive skills and "level" of diving. Dividing some diving as "rec" and some as "tech" only serves as a barrier - a fence, so to speak - that you will have to hurdle in thought, skill, planning, preparation, emergency response, gear choice, and gear configuration when/if you get there.

Regarding the need to consider some dives as more complex than others, if the truth were to be told, there would not be the dual classification of only "rec" and "tech" - there would be many classifications. It wouldn't be fair to call a "level 1" dive "rec" and "level 2" through "level 99" as "tech."

...So the concept of "rec" and "tech" serves no purpose but to restrict diver learning, is equally blurry regardless of which side you look at it from, and is nondescriptive regarding how advanced a person must be or whether or not they have the right skill set to handle that "level" of diving. The same nondescript issue holds true for the term "nitrox" - don't even get me started on it. Nitrox means "nitrogen and oxygen," just as "trimix" means "a mix of three" and "heliox" means "heliumm and oxygen." AIR is nitrox. So is 32%, 36%, 50%, or even 99%. Breathing gasses should never be called something random, as the wrong mix at the wrong depth can kill you as dead as putting a gun in your mouth and pulling the trigger. It should be called by it's maximum operating depth, or "MOD." 32% is "MOD 120." 36% is "MOD 100." Air is "MOD 210." Yes, at 100 or 120 or 210 feet those might not be the ideal mixes to be breathing, and they might obligate you for decompression or narc you horribly or whatever, but the depth at which you die should be what the gas is called. Simple. Yech. :)

Anyway, making the choice that you have - to use a backplate and wing with a 7' long hose primary second stage is a wonderful way to flatten that made-up division between "rec" and "tech"... Learn to dive all of your dives with this setup, and moving to doubles or stages or rebreathers or whatever you are told is "tech" will be second nature and will not require you to learn new skills in new gear.

...So yes, you have done the right thing - that is, chosen a gear configuration which will serve you in ALL "types" of diving.

The 7' primary is easily tucked into the waist belt part of the harness. Alternatively, I have seen people hook it under their can light battery, their knife, or a pocket (Halcyon makes a wonderful "hard pocket" that threads onto the waist part of the harness for this purpose, and it works well.

Yes, the 5' hose is an alternative if you are diving a single tank. It threads under the right arm and does not require any tucking and yet still allows the same OOG response as a 7' primary. However, using a 5' hose immediately limits you to diving non-overhead environments like caves, wrecks, and decompression obligations.

The 7' hose has no such limitation.

Do you know the basis behind using a 7' hose? Do you know why not 8' or 9' or 6'? Do you want to know, if you don't already?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom