RG2000 Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok well you are probably right- What about ... I hate to even say this name but OMS-

There is a Company here in Ca that makes thier BCS-- Corona CA

It's all moot anyways... You point was taken- We have to trust that the Companies that hired the real manufactures... With our lives basically- And that's the way the world is...

ok... allow me to play devil's advocate, if you will (god forbid!)

a regulator is a regulator. so long as it gives you gas at depth, it's all good.

when was the last time you heard of a crappy regulator failing? is there any proof
that a NoName reg has killed more divers than a WonderfulBrand reg?

so... why pay out the wazoo for a name when a crappy reg will get you down and back up safely?

H2Andy:
ok... allow me to play devil's advocate, if you will (god forbid!)

a regulator is a regulator. so long as it gives you gas at depth, it's all good.

when was the last time you heard of a crappy regulator failing? is there any proof

so... why pay out the wazoo for a name when a crappy reg will get you down and back up safely?

With regs, its about performance. Some regs just don't give the same ease of breathing as others. Not an issue at 20ft but at 200ft, it could lead to CO2 buildup and other nasties that go with it. Will it kill you by itself, no. It could be a link in a chain though. (Also add it freezing, free flows etc)

Mike

H2Andy:

Actually, there are some regs that I would NEVER dive with. Not that I actually like Rodale's, but they did test a few regs made by one manufacturer (the name escapes me) that they said are not suitable for using. The WOB was high even at 30 ft or something. Those kind of regs are very sketchy. Also, if you cant tell the difference between an Aqualung Calypso and an Aqualung Legend LX at 130 ft, I cant help you...

Which brings us to another question: Does anyone know the name of the company that makes the DR regs? Contact info for them? Please PM me with this info. I did have a phone conversation with someone from this board about them, and the name was mentioned, but I dont recall what it is. Thanks...

IST makes them I think

LUBOLD8431:
Also, if you cant tell the difference between an Aqualung Calypso and an Aqualung Legend LX at 130 ft, I cant help you...

wow this thread is so old i almost (almost) feel guilty answering this...

Lubold, my question is not whether a Porsche drives better
than a Ford. certainly it does.

my question was, if you are not willing to shell out the megabucks for a Porsche, doesn't the Ford get you there and back?

now, since regs are life-support equipment, everybody always says, "but you're risking your life."

and my question was directed at that: is there any real evidence that cheaper regs fail more often at depth and endanger divers at such a rate, that shelling the bucks makes sense.

i have this feeling that a workhorse and cheap regulator like the Dacors can get you there and back fine over and over again.

of course if you WANT to spend more money and feel safer/better, you can.

but the issue is, is it SAFER in a quantifiable manner to spend those bucks?

just trying to be clear with my question.

Calypso is an unbalanced piston compared to the Legend's balanced diaphragm. You wont get the performance that you would want (or need) at 130 ft. Now, I know this is a recreational diving board, so I wont go any farther than that. However, when some people go diving with low performing equipment, go deeper than they should, and then that reg cant provide the air that they need because they are starting to freak out and breath heavy (which then produces stress, and may lead to panic) this could lead to a fatality or other injury. ALso, its usually the newbies that pick the cheap gear, because they dont want to spend the money for good gear. Its also the newbies that usually get into trouble. So, I ask, is it really worth it to get a cheap reg???

BTW, the only case that I think the calypso should be used is for rental regs, where the renters are not going deeper than 100 ft.
If someone doesnt want to spend $500 or $600 for a reg, I can understand that. If they are not doing any technical diving, and just doing rec diving no deeper than 130 ft, then I can recommend a good reg that wont get you killed. Apeks AT-20. Thats a balanced diaphragm reg, and a great one at that. You got to spend a little money to get something decent. The cheapest reg on the market is not a great reg.

To answer your last question, to a point, yes, when you spend more money, you get a safer reg. After a certain point, it just becomes about the features, and not the performance. I certainly wont buy a Black Pearl reg, which is an APeks ATX-200 with some fancy design on it. Everyone needs to figure out what type of diving they are going to be doing, and choose a reg that will work under those conditions. Then, if you want to splurge and get the best, you can. Thats the freedom we have in this country to choose for ourselves. I choose to dive with a high performance reg, because its my choice, my life, and this is life-support equipment. There are some regs you couldnt PAY me to dive (even to only 60 ft!!!)...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom