Rocky Point ,Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad somebody else joined in, I was starting to feel like a salesman. Went back and read the Dive Training articles. Thay said about the same thing I did only a little more polite. I think you'll enjoy SC, just allow at least 4 days.

Fishkiller,,,, looking forward to the report.

don O

ok the desertdivers website is down
here is the Phone number (520)887-2822

I miss spelled http://www.garysdiveshop.com it plays cool music so turn up your speakers

the report is being posted now

I will call them next week. I think this is where we will plan our trip too, assuming my surgeon will release me to dive. Has anyone dived following major neck surgery and how did it go?

Did you go yet? San Carlos is nice from July through December. There are some good boats. The best one Poseidon's Mistress sunk this fall in a hurricane. major bummer.

How did your neck injury affect you? Hope it's better now.

Try La Paz sometime on the other side of the Gulf. Or Loreto. Very nice diving and more bucolic environs. See my response to a Baja Cal question on another thread.

SC is much better than San Diego. Cal water is cold!

Grins.

Hi, haven't gone yet. The neck is doing really well. Don't think I'm going to have time or money to make the trip in December so am postponing until March. What's San Carlos like than? I can't wait to go. We're thinking about moving to Tucson area in 2 years so that will be our regular spot I hope. Has to beat Oklahoma diving!! Hope I see some sharks. If I do get a chance to go over the holidays I'll let you know how it went. Is Baja expeditions only on the west side of the gulf? How's Gary's dive shop? Any places in San Carlos you recommend for sleeping/eating and diving?

I don't know anything about Gary's. It may be good, I've just never had a reason to go to a dive shop in Guaymas. Desert divers in Tucson seems to have a good rep though and they may be a good place to start. Also in Phoenix (where I live) there is a really good little shop that books a lot of trips to San Carlos. It's called Aqua Illusions and I think they have a web site. I like it because it's the kind of shop where they don't try to make you feel stupid if you didn't get your training with them and they don't try to pressure you on anything.

I think Baja Ex only does trips on the Baja side of the gulf.

One idea is to check Orbitz.com or Hotwire.com and look for their deals for trips that include air and hotels to Guaymas. The club med there has some very nice day dive boats and is not too resorty. Only problem is that it's also not very mexican. But you can always go just tour the town.

Also check for packages to La Paz or more likely Cabo San Lucas.

March is unfortunately not the best month for diving in the gulf. there are lots of plankton blooms that are good for fish and whales but not so great for visibility. Still, I've had some good low viz dives there. But then again, I learned to dive in the Mekong river.

If you just gotta go diving in march you might want to check package prices to Cancun, or better yet to Akumal on the Caribbean coast. Very clear and warm.

Good luck with your move to Tucson. It's my home and I spend a lot of time there but it's grown so much I don't know half of it anymore.:(

If you still need rehab when you get there, a friend of mine is a great physiatrist.

Thanks. Would I be better off doing a conference in May? I have a choice of two conferences in Tucson, March and May. Figured I'd take a week leave and drive to Guyamas afterwards.
I'm seeing a masseuse and today went to a chiropractor which really seems to help. I will start physical therapy next month. Hopefully, I 'll be good as new when I move in a couple of years.
We really like the true culture type places rather than the resort towns so am kind of excited there is a good dive town so close to Tucson.

last year it was 65F at 65 feet 74 at the surface it warms from there. Viz wasn't that great only 50 average.

Guymas San Carlos is still a good bet I heard that there are hammer heads out at San Pedro Island that at rare time can be seen

May would be better. It starts warming and clearing the closer you get to July. The water temp in the Sea tends to lag behind the air temp by a couple of months. The warmest clearest water is between July and November but air temps are pretty toasty between April and Sept.

I haven't seen any hammerheads around San Pedro but I have heard of agregations near there. Good luck. But I have seen sea lions and gotten buzzed by them at 80ft there.

Shout out to all Phoenix area divers.
Theirs a new dive shop opening in Scottsdale.
It's called Paradise Scuba. I know the owner and I can't say enough about this guy and his wife. Straight up good people. They travel to San Carlos quite a bit and the last dive I went on with them they used Garys down in SC. I like the crew with Garys. We fished all the way out to our dive sites. While we were diving the crew's would make up Fish Taco's with our catch and we would eat between dives. One of the guys in our group started having reg problems and one of the crew pulled out his reg (real nice one too) and allowed him to use it for the rest of the trip. I was pretty impressed. Not trying to pimp this new shop (well actually I am) but I was really impressed with these guys and I have to give props where they are do. Also when it all comes down to shopping for equipment the more competition the better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom