Rough Day on the Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am hearing the Jet Ski barge capsized and that a diver was pulled up near the Hilton, and died later at the hospital.

I think that it might not be known where he came from..maybe lost off a boat dive.

A very rough day out there, off the south shore. We could see big seas and major white caps. The wind seemed high and constant, from what we could see out there from the hill.

I heard AAA diving cancelled the second dive because the captain (Chris) had divers in six foot seas, and he called it. As they came in, another boat headed out with students even though other boats were coming back in.

My opinion: Students and Discover Scuba students should be prepared to cancel if it is very rough. Depending on commercial operator's not to take you out in rough seas beyond your ability is not a good bet. Charters equal money. If it looks bad, tell them you won't go. Better yet, state this when you book...that you want to reserve the option to cancel if the wind is over 25 mph or whatever....If you don't know what rough is, use your head and ask around, it's not hard to find out.

I just heard on the 10PM news a SCUBA (not just diver) died.... Capt Chris is a good guy and will say no if it gets bad.
Any other word on this death?

Got home and read this tonight on the Honolulu Advertiser website:

"Man, 23, pulled from ocean off Waikiki dies

Advertiser Staff

A 23-year-old man who was brought to shore today at Fort DeRussey beach by a city lifeguard on a jetski died at Straub Hospital & Clinic.
Police said the man was a deck hand aboard a boat and got into trouble in the water.

City Emergency Services spokesman Bryan Cheplic said the man was found about 50 feet deep in the water at 1:15 p.m.

The lifeguard was in the area assisting the Coast Guard with a tour boat in trouble when he responded to the call for a missing diver, according to Cheplic.

The Honolulu Medical Examiner's Office did not release the man's name."

Maybe more information in the morning.

I think he could have been working on a mooring...

So, why would he be taken to Straub instead of Queens, I wonder?

Any new news?....These operators need to learn that they just cant keep taking people out when the ocean is like this.

I wish it would calm down some, I'm 8 days dry and jones'en bad! My wife should be about to the finish line of the Aloha run by now, maybe we should all go dive in C's pool!

Now there is a damn fine idea! Fire up the grill Cath, were on our way!

So Im getting the guy who dies was crew on a comm boat. Was this a dive boat? They said SCUBA but they are usualy wrong.

A friend and fellow captain said last week:
"all that equipment and electronic crap and that talent and skill you THINK you have as a boat handler and captain is in order to get you IN to the harbor safely, not so you can get OUT of the harbor".

He included a few choice words and phrases after that like:
"better to stay home and be called a sissy than to go out a prove you are an idiot".

He has lots of great advice coupled with terms of pure love and endearment... but this is a family show during prime time.

As for the dive shop/boat owner/crew, wanting the charter money, I have one statement about my boss Norm the owner of Big Island Divers. Any time I have canceled a charter for any reason, he has NEVER questioned my decision, EVER! Anytime I have called Norm and said I would like to cancel the charter out of concerns for safety, he replies "what ever you decide I stand behind you 100%". Not many shops will act in that manner...but they should.

Now I'm sure all have read today's paper. In the Star Bulletin:

"WAIKIKI
Fatal heart attack hits diver offshore
A 23-year-old man died yesterday while diving off Waikiki. The Coast Guard said the man suffered a heart attack at about 1 p.m. while diving a mile off the beach. He was
taken to Straub Clinic & Hospital, where he was pronounced dead."

Slightly different story.

Chris

see? It is almost always a heart attack.....

23...wow.

Back
Top Bottom