routing 7' hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finally got to test out the new regs this weekend on my OW cert dives. however i didn't get to use the long hose as the instructor and 2 others from the LDS insisted that the short hose was to be the primary and the long hose is the backup. and also the long hose routing won't work with their way of doing reg retrieval etc. so i just used the short hose. but the regs breathe great. only issue i had was losing the din oring between day 1 and 2.

This is why my LDS lost my business. They hadn't a clue about anything other than the most basic OW gear. My BP/W was confusing for them. The longhose... forget it.

With the statement you said they made......they are not experienced with the standard long hose configuration.
People do all sorts of stuff with their dive gear, so they could have dove with any kind of gear configuration.....I would have no way of knowing.

As for the 7' ft. long hose Hogarthian setup. Figure out why you want to switch to that, what your reasons are, and also (important) do you have a dive buddy(ies) that is/are also going to be diving that configuration?

Just food for thought, as you continue researching.

Cheers,
Mitch

Just one of many sites that deal with this subject, Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

Generally it is routed down and under your can light. If you do not have a can light you can tuck it in your waist band. I find this does not work quit as well for me as it tends to slip out.

Are you using rubber hoses? Miflex is not good for the long hose.

If you are using rubber, then the waist strap is probably too loose.

Are you using rubber hoses? Miflex is not good for the long hose.

If you are using rubber, then the waist strap is probably too loose.

I am 6'2" so when I do tuck not much goes though. My GF who is shorter has no problem with hers. My waist band is snug but I am sure I could make it tighter, but don't see need at this point. Making it tighter just for this is not worth it to me. The majority of the time I have my can light so no issue.

the instructor and 2 others from the LDS insisted that the short hose was to be the primary and the long hose is the backup. and also the long hose routing won't work with their way of doing reg retrieval etc..

You did well to listen to your instructors instead of some of the netsperts on here who would be better off increasing their diving score instead of their posting score in order to know what they're talking about.

The only reason to have a 5' or 7' hose wrapped around your neck (....for you anal retentives, I know how it is wrapped but am just too lazy to write the full details ) is if you do extreme penetration diving where you may have to pass your rig through an opening and then follow it through and re-attach. (not recommended as it usually just gets you into more trouble than you are ready for)

IF and WHEN you ever have an OOA situation, the likely scenario is going to be that the recipient is going to rip the reg out of your mouth without asking or go for your occy with the same determination.
The best way to prevent this kind of thing happening is to dive with buddies that know how to read an spg.....frequently!!!!:wink:

Either way, when an OOA or LOA situation happens, THE DIVE IS OVER FOLKS and you need to make a controlled ascent to the surface which is best done with the recipient close to you with you controlling the buoyancy for both of you......stop fantasising that the recipient can comfortably follow a couple of feet behind you on your 7' hose.

In my 40 + years of diving I have only ever come across 2 LOA situations, one of which was predictable as the person was diving considerably deeper than the rest of us and got low whilst doing deco. The other was an equipment issue toward the end of a dive and no 7 footer required.

If you feel the need to look the part and create a bit of extra drag and a snag point, don't let me talk you out of it, besides that, it is also a good indicator of who I don't want to dive with unless you're in a cave or real wreck. :D

You did well to listen to your instructors instead of some of the netsperts on here who would be better off increasing their diving score instead of their posting score in order to know what they're talking about.

The only reason to have a 5' or 7' hose wrapped around your neck (....for you anal retentives, I know how it is wrapped but am just too lazy to write the full details ) is if you do extreme penetration diving where you may have to pass your rig through an opening and then follow it through and re-attach. (not recommended as it usually just gets you into more trouble than you are ready for)

IF and WHEN you ever have an OOA situation, the likely scenario is going to be that the recipient is going to rip the reg out of your mouth without asking or go for your occy with the same determination.
The best way to prevent this kind of thing happening is to dive with buddies that know how to read an spg.....frequently!!!!:wink:

Either way, when an OOA or LOA situation happens, THE DIVE IS OVER FOLKS and you need to make a controlled ascent to the surface which is best done with the recipient close to you with you controlling the buoyancy for both of you......stop fantasising that the recipient can comfortably follow a couple of feet behind you on your 7' hose.

In my 40 + years of diving I have only ever come across 2 LOA situations, one of which was predictable as the person was diving considerably deeper than the rest of us and got low whilst doing deco. The other was an equipment issue toward the end of a dive and no 7 footer required.

If you feel the need to look the part and create a bit of extra drag and a snag point, don't let me talk you out of it, besides that, it is also a good indicator of who I don't want to dive with unless you're in a cave or real wreck. :D

What? Seriously dude. Have you ever dived with someone in a properly set up long hose rig that knows how to use it? Instructors that insist the bungee is for primary and the long hose as octo need to do some reading and learn proper donation procedure. When the long hose is not in use it gets clipped off to a d ring not ideal for a panicking ooa diver. And actually one should not be diving with someone prone to panic anyway. And why would you let someone grab the reg in your mouth? They signal and you donate as you pop the bungeed back up into your mouth. And if some goober is going to grab a reg out of my mouth I want it to be the longer hose that will put some distance between us. Sounds like the OP needs to ask the instructors at his shop to get some training themselves. They need to get with the times which are a changing.
And FYI there is zero extra drag and snag points. That is why the rig is preferred in caves and wrecks. It's cleaner and more streamlined. And your scenario for what happens in a ooa or loa ascent with a long hose shows you have no idea how it's done and that you might be diving with people I don't want to be in the water with period.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

so the long hose setup is..yes...from the world of tech diving. That does not mean OW divers should not use it. There are lots of good reasons to go long hose. it does make a faster OOA response; but an OOA should be rare if you are well trained. I prefer it due to the more streamlined profile.
and I find that a lot of OW instructors are NOT familiar with the setup. On one dive, an instructor pointed me out to their students and referred to me as a "tech diver" with much fascination. It's just a technique. some people (like me) like it...others just don't get the hang of it. It is "different" and took me a couple of dives to get comfortable.

finally got to test out the new regs this weekend on my OW cert dives. however i didn't get to use the long hose as the instructor and 2 others from the LDS insisted that the short hose was to be the primary and the long hose is the backup. and also the long hose routing won't work with their way of doing reg retrieval etc. so i just used the short hose. but the regs breathe great. only issue i had was losing the din oring between day 1 and 2.

I think there was a failure of communication/verbiage here. Octos are typically on a longer hose than your "standard" regulator. The reg retrieval drill IS harder (impossible) in a long hose using the "standard" OW reg retrieval method of a rightwards-tilting arm swing. I can't IMAGINE they said to use your 7ft hose as your octo hose. In a standard "short hose" setup, your primary is on a 32" hose and your octo is on a 40" hose. Nobody in their right mind would suggest you use your 7ft hose on your octo, or your bungee as your primary!

As for the clip: if you DO use a clip, you won't get 3-4ft....that's fantasy. Think about it. If you're horizontal (as you SHOULD be) and somebody charges you do to OOA, you deploy your long hose and they get your second stage. If the hose is clipped off, the only slack they'll get is the hose that goes around your head. Normally routed, the hose goes down to your waist belt where YOU have it clipped off, up your torso, and then around your neck to your mouth. After donation, the hose would still go up your torso and you'd get a max of like 12" of slack on your hose. I'm sorry, that's not enough. When you go to give your reg to a freaked-out, panicked diver that's out of air, they're going to panic when there's ZERO room to breathe. Now you have to fumble with unclipping your hose AND getting a reg in your own mouth while fighting with a flailing, panicked diver that's violating your personal space. It's not likely to happen, no, but you don't plan for the best. You plan for the worst. A panicked diver nearly took out a respected cave instructor, and he's a big, beefy guy with TONS of experience. Just tuck your hose. I'm 6'6" and I can't tuck much, but the rubber hose keeps it tucked pretty well. Deployment is super easy. That cave instructor stressed to me that when a panicked diver comes at me, to deploy my long hose as fast as possible, grab his right arm and push him towards my right, where the reg will be right in his face and he won't be able to grab me.

Last thing (for now) are some points about diving a long hose setup. Reg retrieval with a long hose is easier than with a short hose (IMHO) if you know how to do it. If you haven't deployed it, the first thing you should do is check the back of your neck for the hose. I have Miflex on my bungeed reg and rubber on my long hose, so I just grab the rubber hose on the back of my neck. If that doesn't work, you can either go to where it's routed (tucked under canister?) or straight to the tank. Either way, you should be on your bungeed octo during the search....that makes it easier :D. The other thing is diving with divers unfamiliar with the setup. During the pre-dive discussion (which I hope you'll have before every dive), just mention that if they go OOA or need to get air from you for any reason, that you should be donating your long hose if they give you warning....and to grab for the reg in your mouth if they don't. Tell them it's standard procedure for you to donate from your mouth. If they ask why, tell them it's for their safety and that you're doing it so you can donate a reg that you KNOW is working.

Edit: The point of a long-hose isn't JUST to exit a restriction in a cave. It's very nice to be able to do an OOA ascent with a little bit of breathing room. My wife and I do ascents horizontally in the water column. This is a lot easier done with a long hose than with short hoses. Also, we extend our dives that way if we need to....but I'm definitely NOT recommending it :D

actually for the ow dives i was told to just put the long hose reg in my bc pocket and use my air source as a backup. which i plan on ditching the airsource for a normal inflator which i already have. but i need a new corrogated hose for it before i can make the switch

Actually reg retrieval with any hose is easy. Instructors make it hard. You lose your primary for some reason you pop in the octo that you know where it's located and leisurely find the primary. I have gotten away from the sweep reach and grab bs with my students. The idea is to get a working reg in. with a bungeed octo itNs even easier. You always know where it is. Pop it in your mouth and then find the primary. And lastly if someone comes to me with a new configuration they plan to use I don't make them conform to my way. I work with them to make sure they can use the one they have. That's education. For them and for me.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom