Rude Divers on the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If somebody shoved me out of the way to "steal" my photo, then my fins would take care of the visibility for them, and Canadian or not I would have had words with them back on the surface.

Hope you meet better divers on your future trips.

Act like you are from New Jersey. My buddy is and does, I'm more of a sarcasm kind of guy.

Q: How many NJ divers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: F**K YOU!

:cool2:

As one who bounces between the Jersey buddy type of diver and a more Bohemian attitude may I say that sometimes you will run into people who you won't be able to get along with. But most divers you will find are easy to see eye to eye with even if you end up seeing more than you wanted to see of us.

I definitely wouldn't mind a chick getting naked on a diveboat :D

To be fair and honest, there's a reason I don't go on boats anymore, unless there's a damn good reason, and I'll want a good operator.

Haven't had it as bad as you do, but I've had the moron sitting in your place quite a few times, the one that doesn't want to move once you stood up to go in the water and you're standing behind him "sorry mate, I'm carrying f-ing twins here, could you please move so I can get that weight of my back?", also had the ones that will happily empty their boots IN the damn boat or better: in your tub.
That last guy you're talking about is the average boat diver I see, so I'm surprised it's that one that wins the cake.

Solution imho:
-choose your operator differently, might end up being more expensive, but do you really enjoy those dives?
-avoid boat dives
-get a group of friends to go with you, if you're all or most from the same group, you'd probably be able to stick together underwater without having others doing ****.

I doubt educating divers will work, and even then, it's not your job and is quite exhausting to try...

Cheers

Ok, let us say you have 75 dives. If these are large dive boats then we are talking of in excess of 700 new people. If you interact with 700 people then there will be some jerks and some who are not. Lets say you met 10 jerks. What about the other 690 divers? I agree with what you called bad behavior except for the nudiity part. That one can vary a lot with the culture and US/Canadians tend to be less open about nudity than some Europeans. That could be cultural. My reaction from your post was that you seemed to be dwelling on a few rotten apples and then ignoring the rest. One bad minute or one remark was spoiling the whole dive?

Does not matter where you go or what you do. There are some nice folks, some jerks, and some clueless.

You do what you can to reduce their numbers and just enjoy the dives. We have several local dive shops but there is one that I avoid if they are on the boat. They do not teach basic boat and dive etiquette. Not the divers fault but I avoid them.

And as pointed out we all accidently sometimes do things that inconvenience others and make mistakes.

Called a life.

Assuming you are referring to diving locally in Canada, you are completely bursting my bubble as to my perception of Canadians.

Add me to the list of people who have not encountered such rude divers. I have encountered one or two photographers of the type who believe they have privileges the rest of us don't, but I have come to deal with that by avoiding getting anywhere near photographers. The behavior of photographers has, for the time being, turned me and my dive buddy (wife) off to the idea of getting into photography.

I dive mainly warm-water destinations, and it's been my experience that people on vacation are relaxed and just happy to be there, and so pretty much mind their own business. Essentially ALL of us are there for just a week or two. Maybe on a "local" dive boat there is a greater likelihood of encountering "regulars" who feel they are more like crew than ordinary customers--more likely to offer unsolicited help, assert perceived privileges, etc.?

Most people should keep their bloody clothes ON on a diveboat no matter what. Make that all people.

Patoux said he wouldnt mind a naked chick on a boat....but how about a naked belgian lady and a very obese belgian husband in their 60s getting as much sun in as they can? Steve_C is correct on assuming its a cultural thing, they found it to be their right to get naked even though no one else on the boat was...simply curious as to how many divers would go YAY NAKED DUDE On the boat. I suddenly found the wheelhouse of the boat a helluva lot more interesting than the naked couple. Even if they had been young fit and fantastic I still felt it rather off putting especially as they spread themselves around the food...liberally...No one looks good naked bending over asking for more watermelon. Other divers should have been refunded their money on that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom