Rumor: Scubapro Mk17 to be discontinued soon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm told the H50-D is identical to the older Mk17, but the Mk17 EVO is different. I have not verified this myself though.
That may very well be. The MK17s they had were evo models. The ports are positioned 90 deg off between MK17 evo and the MK11/H50-Ds.

But, if ya want 'em, now may be the time to get 'em. The shop had them for I think $295 - $25 less than the MK11s.

Now - watch - since I bought one - a NIB MK11, MK17, or H50-D - will show up on the classifieds section for about half of what I paid.

OMMOHY

I have communicated with SP directly about a week ago and they had no idea where this rumor came from and denied it.
Well that's interesting, since I was told it first-hand from René Dupré at my recent Scubapro technician recertification seminar.
Perhaps it's a US/Europe thing? After all, the Mk 19 was originally introduced just in Europe...

I'm told the H50-D is identical to the older Mk17, but the Mk17 EVO is different. I have not verified this myself though.
Follow up -

Found an old MK17 on eBay - all crudded up - but yes - its hose port configuration is identical to the H50-D and the MK11. Guess it's the current, or soon to be late, MK17 evo line that got all fornicated up.

OMMOHY

Some might consider the hose routing of the Mark 17 Evo superior to the former Mark 17. Plus the other improvements. N

Some might consider the hose routing of the Mark 17 Evo superior to the former Mark 17. Plus the other improvements. N

Reckon so.

OMMOHY

I’ve come to prefer the EVO routing, the HP ports are a little harder to get to and need an adaptor to clear the hoses when using the little bit bigger SP transmitter but the straighter orientation works great with the PPS unit.

I’ve come to prefer the EVO routing, the HP ports are a little harder to get to and need an adaptor to clear the hoses when using the little bit bigger SP transmitter but the straighter orientation works great with the PPS unit.
I got a small HP hose for my tank pod primarily to prevent a dive shop assistant from mistakenly using it as a handle to pick up the tank (common to have youngster boys do the hauling in S.E Asia) and also to avoid damaging the threaded connector of the tank pod on impact because it will flex and yield. I think should help provide some kind of clearance whatever the port configuration.

Attachments

• 852CE0F8-F3B3-4AF7-A82F-176F658FB882.jpeg
    852CE0F8-F3B3-4AF7-A82F-176F658FB882.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 55
I got a small HP hose for my tank pod primarily to prevent a dive shop assistant from mistakenly using it as a handle to pick up the tank (common to have youngster boys do the hauling in S.E Asia) and also to avoid damaging the threaded connector of the tank pod on impact because it will flex and yield. I think should help provide some kind of clearance whatever the port configuration.
The hose does give clearance but I prefer screwing right into the first stage, some places may be more risky for grabbing the transmitter but I don’t let many “other” people to handle my gear.

Scubapro’s decision to discontinue their esteemed MK17 first stage will certainly please Halcyon, and others like DGX or Tecline who may wish to buy the manufacturing rights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom