Running out of air!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found that exhaling through my nose allows me to be able to control my exhale a lot better since the passages in one's nose are a lot smaller than one's mouth. I used this process early in my diving to lower my air usage. I practiced in the pool a couple times a week by taking a relatively deep inhale and then exhaling slowly through my nose while puddling around using a snorkle and fins.

I have found that exhaling through my nose allows me to be able to control my exhale a lot better since the passages in one's nose are a lot smaller than one's mouth. I used this process early in my diving to lower my air usage. I practiced in the pool a couple times a week by taking a relatively deep inhale and then exhaling slowly through my nose while puddling around using a snorkle and fins.

That doesn't fog your mask?

I have found that exhaling through my nose allows me to be able to control my exhale a lot better...
I've heard this suggestion before and I've also tried it but it doesn't seem to be working for me. The problem I have is that the bubbles then seem to go straight across my mask, impairing my vision. Could this be mask specific? Have you ever had this problem?

Might be worth having a look at the finning technique being used. Are the fins being used efficiently.
Consider using frog kick finning rather than up and down fin kicks.

Is sufficient thermal protection being worn to keep warm? We are all different in our needs.

Consider a dive computer with a gas transmitter that calculates your air time. This may add to the relaxation, it did for me a few years ago :), you can always sell the trasnmitter when no longer useful. I still use my transmitter after hundreds of dives.

Yoga lessons to improving breathing techniques can be useful.

It's because we fart and they don't.

This ain't a gender issue ... some people don't fart because they never shut up long enough to let the pressure build up ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This practice would fog-up my mask for sure...

I hear they're going to make one(tank)-see below- in this size soon(j/k'ing of course).....It'll get better, give it some time---although a good chance he'll never 'catch up' to you in the lower air consumption department.......

Other thing, if possible I'd edit the title to 'Running low on air'...
Goodyear%20blimp.jpg

That's a good thing about masks with Purge Valves!

Thanks for all the great information.

In response to Valhalla 561, my husband is very muscular. His legs are so muscled that he has trouble keeping them up when floating (He can press 1000 lbs. on a leg press machine at the gym!) Maybe that has something to do with his air problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom