Safe diving or just an ***hole of an instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your buddy was allowed to surface without you, were you really a buddy pair?

Is it common for buddy pairs to be reassigned on the fly like that?

And how does the conversion of metric to imperial work in this case? For some reason I'm using 1 bar = 14.7 psi and 1 meter = 3.3 feet. Not sure how accurate that is, though.

Doof once bubbled...
And how does the conversion of metric to imperial work in this case? For some reason I'm using 1 bar = 14.7 psi and 1 meter = 3.3 feet. Not sure how accurate that is, though.
Yeah, metric PADI courses teach to surface with 50 bar, which is about 735psi - considerably higher than the 500psi taught stateside. 26m = ~86 feet.

Scubaroo said: Read this article and decide whether or not you should report the DM...

Holy cow!!!! That’s the dive shop I went with… yikes!!! She was only 23.... this is so sad....

Doof, the instructor appointed a new buddy for my buddy. I believe they ascended with another buddy pair plus an instructor/dive master. I think the other buddy pair that we started the dive with (lol I didn’t see much of them at all…) went diving with another instructor as I haven’t seen them after we had reached the bottom.

I know that my instructor was excited to go diving there. I believe he hadn’t been there for so long yet. When he didn’t want to ascend, I got the impression he wanted me to have a better look around because it was such an awesome wreck.

Big-t-2538, if he wasn’t an a**hole but just ignorant, he should find out what the proper rules are, doesn’t he?

OK guys, where can I leave my complaints? Should I just write to PADI? I got a certificate for the deep dive “PADI Advanced Open Water Training Record” which includes his name, number and signature. And how does this work? Will he find out who complained (not that I really care, but I may run into him again…).

Thanks for all your help!

Watersprite

watersprite once bubbled...

Big-t-2538, if he wasn’t an a**hole but just ignorant, he should find out what the proper rules are, doesn’t he?

I won't argue that, but since you said that this is the same shop you dove with....I'm pretty sure they might never figure out how to run a dive op unless someone stops them and never allows them to operate again......

Your story, and the one linked in this thread would be cause for me never to go near that operation.

That has got to be one of the scariest things I've ever heard regarding a dive "PROFESSIONAL", more like a candidate for the Darwin awards. This is a case where the individual should have charges filed against him for reckless endangerment. Or better yet he can become fish food and save someones life. Sorry, but playing fast and loose with another persons life is "NOT" acceptable.:fury:

Hey guys/gals,

I'm in the process of getting my OW certification, and one of the many things that my instructor has drilled into me is that as an OW diver, you shouldn't go deeper than 60 feet. You just aren't trained for it. Am I wrong? If not, watersprite, in addition to everything else, you shouldn't have gone that deep.

David

Unfortunately I often hear about DM's doing things like this which is why I now talk about it as a regular part of my classes.

A former student of mine was in a large group that was led by a DM through the interior of a wreck at about 100 ft. The group entered at one place and exited at another. They left the lighted zone and the DM was the only with a light. That DM violated every single rule of overhead environment diving. Nobody in the group was properly equiped for such a dive including the DM. My former student barely had enough gas to get back to the boat.

Some may not realize this but if you were to get hurt, depending on the country where it occured there is a good chance that your family would have little or no legal recourse.

Not too long ago I read of an outfit that droped a woman on the wrong side of a wall and never seen her again. They hadn't taken any contact info from her and didn't even know who they lost so they didn't even report it. Nobody reakized she was missing until the company she worked for contacted her family when she didn't show up back to work. Legal action was attempted but failed due to the countries almost non-existant legal system.

yoda4x4 once bubbled...
Hey guys/gals,

I'm in the process of getting my OW certification, and one of the many things that my instructor has drilled into me is that as an OW diver, you shouldn't go deeper than 60 feet. You just aren't trained for it. Am I wrong? If not, watersprite, in addition to everything else, you shouldn't have gone that deep.

David

But on your very first dive on your very first dive trip you'll have the oportunity to go much deeper. Every one else will be going and the DM will likely tel you not to worry. If you are like many you will then think that the rules go out the window after the class and you'll go on the dive.

If you really want to keep it shallow until you gain some experience you'll need to talk about that with a charter before you give them your money or get on the boat. Make sure the dives they're planning are apprpriate for your training and experience level before you go.

David,

I don’t know how many metres “feet” is, but as a beginner OW diver I was taught not to go deeper than 18 metres. This dive was indeed deeper than that (26 metres).

I was told it was OK to go deeper with an instructor. Before I went diving I read all the theory that was needed for this dive and we did a little exercise on the bottom (wrote my name backwards or something...).

I got certified for this dive as having done a “deep dive” as part of my advanced course (that I would finish in another place). I don’t think you need to have done a lot of dives after your beginner’s OW before you start your advanced course....

Watersprite

I have a bit differant take on this.

Yes there is a problem with the divemaster/instructor but what about watersprites actions.

Watersprite, You knew the dive plans and had agreed on them but still violated them just the same as the DM/Instructor as well.

Being that you were certified when this occured I think you should share some of the responsibility in this. Why didn't you accend with your buddy when he reached the set PSI level. Being that you had planed on the 4 of you accending when the first person reached a certin PSI how come you and your buddy didn't accend with the first two buddies. Where were you when your buddy made his accent. By allowing your buddy to accend by himself you put your buddy in the same position as yourself. At least he took responsibility for himself and ended the dive when he thought it was time. What would have happened to him if there was a problem? You had questioned the dive why didn't you take responsibility for your own safty by calling the dive and if neccasary make an accent by yourself. Yes the DM shouldn't have taken the approach he did but why didn't you take responsibility for your own safety and allow him to put you in danger? Why is it that you can hold the DM to his mistake yet not hold yourself responsible as well.

I hope you don't take this as a flame because thats not my intentions. We all make mistakes or do something boneheaded, thats part of how we learn. I agree with you that the DM should be held responsible but I wonder just what the lesson was that you learned from all this.

Geek

Back
Top Bottom