Saturday October 8, 2005 LBTS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny:
Good buddies. Good diving! Who could ask for more?
Congrats Steve on the "H." You looked pretty dang good in the water!
Jack, good diving with ya again.
Andrew, nice finally offically diving with ya
Marvel, what can I say, my best bud. Sweet. Thanks for "indulging me" with the little stuff! LOL
And typically, the modest Scuba_Jenny fails to mention she was sharing her big #300 with us. It was so-o-o good, we made her drag the flag for #301 for a great afternoon beach dive.

Thanks Jenny, for your patience.

This weekend was among one of the finest in a looong time. We out for 7 hours with no more than 30 of that on the diveyak.

We dropped down about 8AM from the bouys off the diveyak into a large school of snook. Meanwhile, nearby boat with a chum bag brought all kinds of jacks, grunts and snappers up. It seemed like we were diving in the big tank at Boater's World!

Our first and last lobster was freed when we realized that neither of us had brought a gauge. Hey- it was 7AM when we geared up! I only had time for a half cup of coffee!

But we did get a few snapper... tonight we feast!

Memorable sights: a 7+ foot moray hunting back and forth along the drop-off. We eventually got tired of seeing him! Maybe he kept coming back for more of the smaller snapper I dropped to him.

Also, a 6+ foot nurse shark, also swimming north and south along the drop-off. They are beautiful when swimming, aren't they?

Too bad there's a size limit on grouper. On the way in I ran across three nice-sized fish. Two were obviously too small, but I was snorkeling by then and when I came up for a breath the only one that looked large enough disappeared... that's OK tho because I wouldn't want to spear a large grouper on a snorkel because there's too much chance he'll get away wounded.

We almost got a spear on a large hogfish but he wasn't playing.

So, 6 mangrove snapper and 2 margate. We ate 3 last night and are having family over tomorrow to help with the rest.

MikeJacobs:
So, 6 mangrove snapper and 2 margate. We ate 3 last night and are having family over tomorrow to help with the rest.

Dude, that sounds about a perfect day, I gotta gets me a kayak :14: .

I agree with everyone, this weekend was awsome!!!! I had about 6 hours worth of bottom time between saturday and sunday. Saw (went through) a ton of schools of small jellyfish, and say plenty of different reef fish. This may well be much better then the keys as it's 5 minutes away from home. BTW, congratulations Jenny on Dive #300.

MikeJacobs, I might have met you coming in while you were dragging a kayak in from the beach. I've been thinking of trying spearfishing so I can catch some dinner for my mom. If you wouldn't mind, could you give me a little info as far as rules and regulations go for florida, as well as what you would recommend for a speargun. I will most regularly be doing beach dives from lbts (probably hibiscus). Thanks.

aabond:
If you wouldn't mind, could you give me a little info as far as rules and regulations go for florida, as well as what you would recommend for a speargun. I will most regularly be doing beach dives from lbts (probably hibiscus). Thanks.

I'd like in on that action as well, have gun and licence, but never seem to make it out. Maybe the three of us could get together sometime?

aabond & badmojo: I posted the review here to avoid threadjacking...
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=114935
aabond, we were about a mile north of Angler's Pier - do you have a beard? I was the idiot in red trunks trying to scale a fish in the SAND while sitting on the diveyak.

badmojo:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aabond
If you wouldn't mind, could you give me a little info as far as rules and regulations go for florida, as well as what you would recommend for a speargun. I will most regularly be doing beach dives from lbts (probably hibiscus). Thanks.

I'd like in on that action as well, have gun and licence, but never seem to make it out. Maybe the three of us could get together sometime?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom