Save-a-dive Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mack50md:
Fin strap
Mask strap
Snorkel Keeper
Mouthpiece
O-rings
Dental pic
6" adjustable wrench
2 Tie-wraps
Port plugs
Allen wrenches for port plugs
Duct tape wrapped on a small pencil (old scout trick)
Carabiners, SS Snaps, Quick-buckles
35mm film canister w/ sun screen
Small tube Aquaseal
Hand rag
Pocket knife
6" Bungie
Glow stick
Bonine

Stowed in a small clear plastic fishing lure box w/dividers
All of the above plus din valve plugs, magnifying glasses, computer cheat sheet, dive tables and most important to me one of those din to yoke converters. My 1st stage is DIN. a lot if not most tanks out there are yoke valves. (and yes, just looked have a snorkel keeper even though I don't use one. and my dad taught me the pencil trick.)

All the above plus:

Assorted spare hoses (Inflator, drysuit, primary reg, etc.)
Spare truck key
Extra dive buddy
Cell phone (just in case)

Adobo:
What do you do with the sudafed? seriously.

if you've got a sinus conjestion it can lead to sinus block or ear
problems with some people. taking a sudafed several hours before
diving can clear up that problem from happening. I've seen several
people do this..... though most diving ENT's (doctors) will prescribe
a similar but slightly different method of nasal spray. (or so I've heard)

Dental Pic??? Why?

PAdiver93:
Dental Pic??? Why?

At first I thought he meant a pic of his dental area... like an x-ray to identify the body.... next we'll hear leaving a DNA sample in your save-a-dive kit.

but I think he means a dental pic to pick out o-rings... a small tool.

ItsBruce:
I've started carrying a fitting for putting air into car tires. It goes into the low pressure hose on the regulator.

Tank air is so high pressure that you just hold the valve in the tire open with a fingernail or small screwdriver or a stick and just crack the valve on the tank and blow the air in. Takes three hands but works. Be careful you can overfill a tire really really fast.:D 3,000 psi in a tire - interesting.

mike_s:
At first I thought he meant a pic of his dental area... like an x-ray to identify the body.... next we'll hear leaving a DNA sample in your save-a-dive kit.

but I think he means a dental pic to pick out o-rings... a small tool.

My thought was - " How is he gonna equalize his teeth with a dental pick?" You live - and I never learn! :wink:

Set of gauges and a spare 1st stage and 2nd stage. Spare tank valve ... actually came in handy on a liveaboard about a month ago.

jcf

Dive-aholic:
The kit has grown exponentially. It's a sad state of affairs when your save a dive kit is bigger than your primary dive kit. Based on past experiences, I now carry pretty much everything. I can even do dry suit seal repairs on site if needed (of course it will take some time for the cement to dry). This is based on past experiences where I've had to call dives because of equipment failure. Something fails, I get a back up.

Same here

PAdiver93:
Dental Pic??? Why?
To remove o-rings that get chewed up and need replacing.

I use a small tuff-tote for my save-a-dive kit that goes on the boat with me. Everything else stays in the save-a-dive vehicle. :) In the tote stuff is basically divided up by category:

* First Aid - stuff that gets used on other divers unless I screw the pooch;
* Meds - my standards: Triptone/Bonine, Sudafed, Tylenol, Zantac, etc.;
* Sunblock and Chapstick, and a hat to put on during SIs;
* Tools and spare parts - to fix stuff that breaks, extra LP hoses, etc.;
* Spare mask, spare SMB, spare reel, etc. in case dive #1 goes wonky;
* Admin stuff - cert cards & log in a small otter box, cell phone, PDA with tide tables and D-Plan on it, etc.;
* Gas analyzer, tape, and a Sharpie - to check mixes, topoffs, etc;
* Copies of the dive plan and the deco schedule;

The items in the kit are generally there because I've needed them at one time or another (or a buddy has). I also carry a spare DIN reg first stage, (but admit that I don't carry a tank valve! Perhaps on my next live-aboard!) Its a good thing to know what your buddy has, and for your buddy to know what you have, in a save-a-dive kit. Individual needs and preference are different, but when you suddenly need something real bad, knowing where to go to grab it can make a big difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom