Save Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A parable, The Starfish Story:
Once a man was walking along a beach. The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. Off in the distance he could see a person going back and forth between the surf's edge and and the beach. Back and forth this person went. As the man approached he could see that there were hundreds of starfish stranded on the sand as the result of the natural action of the tide.
The man was stuck by the the apparent futility of the task. There were far too many starfish. Many of them were sure to perish. As he approached the person continued the task of picking up starfish one by one and throwing them into the surf.

As he came up to the person he said, "You must be crazy. There are thousands of miles of beach covered with starfish. You can't possibly make a difference." The person looked at the man. He then stooped down and pick up one more starfish and threw it back into the ocean. He turned back to the man and said, "It sure made a difference to that one!"

Any one person can make a difference. One group can make a difference.
(OceanWatch Clean up 2004, 3000+ lbs garbage picked up at Pompano Pier. SB was there to help. OceanWatch Clean up 2006, 1000+ lbs garbage picked up at Pompano Pier. SB was there again, helping out.) WE can make a difference.

Scuba_Jenny:
A parable, The Starfish Story:
Once a man was walking along a beach. The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. Off in the distance he could see a person going back and forth between the surf's edge and and the beach. Back and forth this person went. As the man approached he could see that there were hundreds of starfish stranded on the sand as the result of the natural action of the tide.
The man was stuck by the the apparent futility of the task. There were far too many starfish. Many of them were sure to perish. As he approached the person continued the task of picking up starfish one by one and throwing them into the surf.

As he came up to the person he said, "You must be crazy. There are thousands of miles of beach covered with starfish. You can't possibly make a difference." The person looked at the man. He then stooped down and pick up one more starfish and threw it back into the ocean. He turned back to the man and said, "It sure made a difference to that one!"

Any one person can make a difference. One group can make a difference.
(OceanWatch Clean up 2004, 3000+ lbs garbage picked up at Pompano Pier. SB was there to help. OceanWatch Clean up 2006, 1000+ lbs garbage picked up at Pompano Pier. SB was there again, helping out.) WE can make a difference.

That was precious:clapping:
Seriously though- Good point

You whippersnappers don't know how go you have it, why, when I was a kid, we had to paddle our tubes down the river because it flowed upstream both ways.

:rolleyes:

Oh this is just great - now I have a wet ear who was getting wet-nursed years after I was already done fighting and dying for my country telling me about the good old days. This makes my day. Now it's time for my nurse to start my IV margarita drip.
When I was a kid, hydrogen and oxygen hadn't yet figgered out how to dance.

Heck when I started diving, the rivers were lava! Y'all young thangs wuz jest single celled 'meebas. High altitude divin' meant the space butwix'd the planets!

There is an organized Ginnie clean up scheduled for July, 15th. Ginnie springs will comp your admission and you will receive free air fills. I participated in a clean up several months ago and 8 volunteer divers filled 3 canoes full (to the top) of beer bottles.

For more info click on the link below:

http://www.alachuascuba.com/calendarlodging.html

Those are my thoughts too, Pete, maybe next year we can do some planning with the Ginnie Springs folks and the INVADE THE KEYS folks and be able to do both!

Well, counting me, that makes two SB members who have committed to being there.

Can we get together a decent-sized contingent of SB divers to complement the effort? Even if this doesn't make a lasting impact on the problem, it WILL be a show of support for a cleaner river. That, and the chance to spend some time underwater and make new friends, is all the incentive I need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom