Say you have $100...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, skip the knife and go with the Sea Snips or similar shears... One handed operation and cuts like mad! I wear both, just because the knife looks really cool.

Ditto on the SeaSnips - I got a pair yesterday (mail order, wish my LDS carried them) - so much better than a knife! Plus they're under $20, so you've still got $80 for other goodies. If you don't have a light, get that. If you're doing ocean dives, get a safety sausage.

I don't see any mention of hood... that's been one of my better investments (yes, water CAN be cold down here in TX :wink: ).

Also, if you plan on doing a lot of quarry dives with your current gear (and by quarry I mean whatever the local hole is), you might invest in a fill card, if your shop offers them. Mine lets me pay $60 up front, and get discounted fills (and 2 free), which means that a quick couple of dives during a weekend is free for me.

Just thought I'd toss that out :)

jeff

...and it's a really good one, too (considering I paid $20 for it!).

Got a 7mm Akona Titanium. Very nice.

Snips...Light...Retractor...

or

AOW...

hmmmmmmm. This is a tough one. And I've already been sitting on this thing since the first week in June.

Another thought -- I won some Amex gift certs through work last winter ($250), and that coupled with the $100 gift cert might get me into a Hyperstretch suit...

The quagmire thickens...

lakesdiver once bubbled...
I mostly agree with Ty. As he said, a light will always be useful. I would, however, encourage you to get a pair of scissors, rather than a knife. It only take one hand with scissors to cut through monofilament line. Unless you are very adept, it'll take two hands to cut through same with a knife.

A gift certificate...How nice for you.

I agree, get some shears and a light.

Curly once bubbled...
Snips...Light...Retractor...

or

AOW...

Double-check with your LDS. I know mine required certain base gear; cutting device, signalling device. primary and secondary light for the night dive. primary light and redundant air source for deep and wreck.

Make sure you know what you need to own before you take your AOW class and find that you need to buy stuff! :)

Back
Top Bottom