Scary OW certification weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If what you say is true, then you really should see a doctor (preferably one with diving knowledge) as soon as possible!

I'm with Lynne on this. Too much stuff here to believe. There are some really bad instructors out there but this is beyond belief. I can't imagine any divers nearby let alone an instructor allowing this poster back in the water. I call bs on this.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I was thinking that I didn't want to say what Lynne and Jim have said but it was what I was thinking :D.

There are one of two things going on here:
1 - For some unknown reason someone has created an elaborate scenario that has no basis in reality
2 - A very bad OW cert session happened over the weekend and the OP's description of it may differ some from what actually happened

After the "rush to the surface like crazy" comment about the CESA I started reading the post sideways... (eg, "where is this going?"). I had a strong sense of "there is no way this is real" when a diver was not immediately sent to hospital asap, given O2 treatment was required for coughing up bloody froth (however it was described) which was further reinforced by the fact the diver got BACK in the water to finish cert dives. However, in all cases, I guess there is always the chance that there could have been misunderstanding about what was going on (why I have option #2 above).

So - my question is back to the OP - if I am not mistaken, all of the agencies are pretty clear about the signs and symptoms of the AGE and Lung Over-expansion Injuries in their training materials. Had you had a chance to review your training materials prior to these dives? If so, can you tell us what made you think it was a good idea to go back in the water immediately after an episode such as you experienced?

Much of the language in the opening post sounds more like story-telling than an incident report, including strategically placed buzz words that would be guaranteed to get a reaction. Could just be a personal style thing, and apologies to OP if this is the case. If this story is actually true, I'm glad you're safe.

I agree that this sounds a bit much., but the timing of this post is consistent with his intro post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/introductions-greets/419401-new-diving-board.html#post6331420

Let's not start jumping to any conclusions until we hear more from the OP, shall we?

If it were on my forum I would probably do an IP address crosscheck out of curiosity

An IP check is clean and consistent with location.

And remember folks, this IS a Green Zone, so let's give the OP the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise and address your responses accordingly.

Wow, my first thought on reading this was "Troll", and I hope I was right. There is so much wrong that it hardly seems possible. Lets hope the OP has not sustained serious injury.

ok, i am no expert by any means but i really struggle with this comment

We went down again to about 30ft and practiced the skill where the instructor turns off your air, and you swim like crazy to the surface, and manually inflate your BC.

what you're describing here is not practicing CESA, but rather practicing something that every instructor warns you against doing in any situation....panicking and bolting to the surface

in training when you practice CESA you will:

- Inhale deeply
- Give your instructor the OOA sign
- SLOWLY ascend making a continuous AHHHHHH sound
- As you ascend you deflate your BCD
- At the surface you orally inflate your BCD

the instructor will be right there to assist you in case you ascend too fast

someone correct me if i'm wrong in any of those steps

Does The SSI skill require an instructor to actually turn off a students air at 30'?

Sorry if I missed it, but did the OP ever say which agency this class was completed with?

Once we know, we can collectively provide the OP with the contact information so the OP can file a quality management complaint.

Bill

Does The SSI skill require an instructor to actually turn off a students air at 30'?

No. I just did a video for an SSI OW class and this is NOT how it happened. A typical CESA is done as described above.

This post literally scares the hell out of me to think instructors like this could exist. I am hoping this is simply a story, if it is not, you seriously need to get medical attention NOW! However, judging by your introduction post, you are legit, it also shows that you are in fact an SSI student to answer Hawkwoods post.

Please do yourself a huge favor and call DAN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom