Scholarships for Dive professionals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skiz22285

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
If there was a scholarship foundation for diving sciences would anyone be willing to donate? After many long hours of searching the web I noticed there are maybe 2 scholarships offered for graduate level students. This bothers me for the simple reason I am school for sport management Diving industry and need funding!

Have you considered working for contractors like Blackwater during the summer months to supplement your income?

"My future plans after I graduate is to work for a dive instruction company somewhere on the south eastern seaboard. "

You don't need a college degree to do this.

"With a superior knowledge of every aspect of diving from the Dive science end to the Dive management end."

I know lots of people who have this. Experience gives you this. Not a college degree.

I don't think your allowed to take money for yourself from a scholarship fund that you are creating.

Don't beg. Get a job.

At the risk of appearing unsympathetic.....whatever happened to people taking responsibility for their own futures and doing whatever it takes, without relying on handouts, to build successful academic and work careers.

I know I'm not the only member of this board who worked at absolute crap jobs for low wages, graduated with a pile of debt, paid that off and then went on to post-graduate/ professional accreditation work while working in full time jobs, supporting families etc etc.

The reality may just be that you can't afford to be a full time student right now, perhaps you need to adjust.

I was the beneficiary of a full scholarship that paid for my undergraduate education, so I wish you good luck.

Perhaps you can tell me what "diving science" is? If you are truly interested in "diving science" at a graduate level, presumably you have an undergraduate degree in physics, or oceanography, or maybe marine biology? Or is"diving science" a euphemism for "underwrite my vocational training in a field that already has a surfeit of qualified practitioners"? If so, I would encourage you to re-evaluate your career plans.

This article may be of interest to you:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/business/14schools.html?scp=1&sq=for-profit schools&st=cse

At institutions that train students for careers in areas like health care, computers and food service, enrollments are soaring as people anxious about weak job prospects borrow aggressively to pay tuition that can exceed $30,000 a year.

But the profits have come at substantial taxpayer expense while often delivering dubious benefits to students, according to academics and advocates for greater oversight of financial aid. Critics say many schools exaggerate the value of their degree programs, selling young people on dreams of middle-class wages while setting them up for default on untenable debts, low-wage work and a struggle to avoid poverty.

The Program
Within the multi-faceted arena of Sport Management, we offer this unique, intensive track of study in the Diving Industry. This rapidly growing recreational industry extends globally as divers of all ages and interests travel to explore the underwater realm. To preserve the ocean resources, the diving industry partners with other academic areas such as marine and environmental sciences, photography, forensics, international business and more.

You will join with other Sport and Exercise Science students in taking a common core of courses which provides a basic understanding of the body in motion during sport. This foundational knowledge is then further refined to apply to the underwater environment in theory and practice.

Within the SM-Diving Industry program your understanding of the physics and physiology of diving will enhance your underwater skills as you progress through the challenges of dive accident management and rescue and diving leadership. Traveling internationally to learn about resorts and tropical diving environments will expand your cultural awareness for global business and fortify your business minor concentration. Our distinctive program, in combination with various internal certification agencies, can also afford you opportunities to fulfill requirements leading to SCUBA instructor Certification. The culminating experience is applying all of these theories to real-life settings in a fulltime internship semester in your senior year.

There is only one degree offered in Diving right now. Its Offered A Barry University

Traveling internationally to learn about resorts and tropical diving environments will expand your cultural awareness for global business and fortify your business minor concentration. Our distinctive program, in combination with various internal certification agencies, can also afford you opportunities to fulfill requirements leading to SCUBA instructor Certification. The culminating experience is applying all of these theories to real-life settings in a fulltime internship semester in your senior year.

There is only one degree offered in Diving right now. Its Offered A Barry University
I wonder how much public money goes to fund this. :shakehead:

As tempting as it is to underwrite your travel to "learn about resorts and tropical diving environments," I am pursuing a similar course of graduate-level education myself, and it is demanding all of my resources. In fact, I will be back in Bali in a couple of weeks to further my "cultural awareness." :)

I was the beneficiary of a full scholarship that paid for my undergraduate education, so I wish you good luck.

Perhaps you can tell me what "diving science" is? If you are truly interested in "diving science" at a graduate level, presumably you have an undergraduate degree in physics, or oceanography, or maybe marine biology? Or is"diving science" a euphemism for "underwrite my vocational training in a field that already has a surfeit of qualified practitioners"? If so, I would encourage you to re-evaluate your career plans.

This article may be of interest to you:

The New Poor - For-Profit Schools Cashing In on Recession and Federal Aid - NYTimes.com

Just checked Barry's website - it's a 4 yr undergraduate program.

"In its 2010 Edition of America's Best Colleges, U.S. News & World Report Barry University remained as unranked for academic quality and as a fourth tier university."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom