Scholarships for Dive professionals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well since you posted this in two seperate threads I'll answer you in both.

I'll give you props for doing something. Having said that, the grammar and spelling is so bad on your website that I only made it about a third of the way through. Also, it would seem to me that what you are doing is not really starting a scholarship, but rather the internet equivalent of standing by the freeway onramp with a cardboard sign (minus the work of actually standing by the onramp with a sign). Let us know how it works out for you.

Well I guess Spell check fails then don't it! Dont worry nonprofits do car washes and hold up signs all the time. It's just to cold for that right now, Its turning out well thus far lots of intrest 1,000 hits on the site already. DEF=A scholarship is an award of financial aid for a student to further education. Scholarships are awarded on various criteria usually reflecting the values and purposes of the donor or founder of the award. So if I ask anyone for a dollar to help me pay for school and they give it to me they just gave me a scholarship!
P.S If you want to bash thats cool, but if you want to help correct the errors and send it to me via the website so I can fix them. Just stating whats wrong helps no one how about a solution.

so let me get this right...
you want other people to
  • pay for you to better yourself
  • pay for your diving habit conveniently couched with a thin veil
  • correct your piss poor spelling and grammar

did I leave anything out??

the part I have trouble with is this is likely a program geared towards cranking out a dozen or more NEW instructors who now think they should be managing the dive shop when they 'graduate' with a PADI instructor degree... not like there is a shortage of those out there

is there anyone else who sees an issue with people not taking responsibility for their own lives these days?? It seems that someone else is supposed to do everything for you here and you have very little by way of personal sacrifice being required of you. Don't be too surprised if you get a few dollars and an equal or greater amount of ethical and moral bashing

so let me get this right...

your against scholarships
you think padi is the only cert agency

This is a former student of the program

Student Profiles
Kathleen Murray, Class of 2004
While pursuing my academic degree, I have studied many different topics within the diving industry. I gravitated towards the medical aspect of the field. Anatomy and applied exercise physiology classes fueled my interest, but hyperbaric physiology and decompression theory expanded my understanding of the human body and how it applies it to our sport. During summer field experience with Divers Alert Network I gained comprehensive knowledge of various types of diving accidents and the pathophysiological effects of water and pressure on the human body. This information is critical in understanding why accidents occur plus revealing the best possible ways to prevent them. My senior internship experience at Duke University’s Center for Hyperbaric Medicine and Environmental Physiology was yet another unique career-molding experience.

tregrrr before you talk about a program atleast reaserch it Diving Industry - Sport Management, Miami, Florida - Barry University

Skiz,

You're going to find a fair amount of old, cranky, conservative folks on this Board. So old they probably voted for Eisenhower.

Take that for what it is worth.

PADI is a diver certification and training agency. This is from their website.

Mission Statement

Purpose
PADI exists to develop programs that encourage and fulfill the public interest in recreational scuba and snorkel diving worldwide.

Vision
PADI intends to be the world leader in the educational development of scuba diving professionals and enthusiasts.

Slogan
PADI - The Way the World Learns to Dive.®

Mission
We want to teach the world to scuba dive.

Values
In all of our relationships, we will demonstrate our steadfast commitment to:

Leadership — Being a world-class leader in every aspect of our business, in the way we design and develop our products, in the training of recreational scuba divers, instructors and retail and resort operators, in the support and service we provide to our professional members (instructors, assistant instructors, divemasters, retail facilities, resorts) in diving safety and education, in aquatic environmental education and preservation, in our management performance in our global marketing of scuba diving adventure and in developing our skills at every level.

Integrity — We honor our commitments, take personal responsibility for our actions and practice the highest ethical standards, treating everyone fairly with trust and respect. Our People — We value the skills, strengths and perspectives of our internationally diverse membership and employee groups. Our team will foster a participatory workplace that empowers our people to get involved in decision making and develops leadership skills at every level. We will continually encourage cooperative efforts at every level in our company.

Quality — In all that we do, we pride ourselves in performing it correctly and accurately the first time to the highest standards of quality and efficiency. We will strive for continuous quality improvement in all that we do in order to be the world’s premier recreational diving training and educational company.

Customer Satisfaction and Retention — Keeping customers satisfied and earning the continued loyalty of our members and divers is essential to our success. We will achieve total customer satisfaction by understanding what our customers want and delivering it flawlessly.

The Environment — In all that we do, we will strive to achieve our commitment to preserving the aquatic environment for future growth.

Underwater Cultural Heritage — We are committed to the protection of underwater cultural heritage for future generations of divers and nondivers alike.

I give you props for starting your website and trying to get donations.

There are tools that you can install on your browser to help you with spelling. Spelling was not that important in The Corps. However it is somewhat important in the Civilian world. Imagine you're hiring a new person for a job. You have two candidates that are equal. One has piss poor spelling and the other doesn't. Who are you going to hire?

Have you gone to the VA to see what they offer in academic financial support?

I Happen to agree with you H2O mostly old guys. Another trend I've noticed from the same people that respond over and over again is negative :mooner:. They don't help they just bash and treat people like there better. WOW you can spell better then me and your grammar is better. But do you know the how the diving reflex affects the human body? Well I do. Do you know the dangers of a PFO? How about a Thoracic Squeeze is? Most of the people on hear are consumer level that put there face in the water and go oooowwww pretty things. So I take what you people say with a Grain of salt. H20 thanks for the good advice. Basher go tell you wife her cooking stinks or something leave me alone unless its constructive and has not been said.

skiz22285....Yes...I agree. Newbies should NOT be bashed. The older divers seem to "know it all" and have become all too "salty". They are resentful of new opportunities to fund a dive career. I am also looking for CONSTRUCTIVE information but I am afraid to post only to get bashed. So I read and absorb the comments that are useful to me.

If older divers are genuine (and friendly) with information....its MOST appreciated.

ESK:blinking:

Law5Guy I got a academic scholarship from them but coming in as a freshman I had a 2.47 from high school they offered me 8,700 for both semesters. I had a 3.23 last semester but they need a full year of grades to revaluate your scholarship. I've maxed all there money out too. :D Another problem is they don't offer help for the summer program that is required to continue on with them major. Its 3 credits and they demand you have 6 to get any aid. Lab fee for those 3 credits= 2,900. The Summer program is 2 weeks at Bonaire with 4 dives a day. Can’t take classes when your not even at school.

Back
Top Bottom