Scholarships for Dive professionals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for wages on the Aggressor, they are also pretty meager, and they'd be even worse if I wasn't a generous tipper.:wink:

Aggressor/PHD wages are great compared to the norm among Liveaboard operators. over double the salary of Explorer Ventures... but less than half the tips considering twice the crew.

If the OP thinks he has even a remote chance of being hired by, and to run a fleet without EXCELLENT skills in: PEOPLE, COMMUNICATION, DIVE INDUSTRY and mostly a ton of FIRST HAND PERSONAL EXPERIENCE... well :popcorn:

I have no idea why I'm even still trying here.

Skizz, you can put together the same credentials you are so earnestly pursuing at this extremely expensive private school at a state school for far less money. No, it won't have the name "diving" in the title, but you can learn physiology and business almost anywhere, and pursue good diving training on your own for far less money. Mattleycrue, the fellow you are so mad at, has spent a lot less than you are spending on some very high quality dive training, probably much better than what you will get through your major.

I read your piece about your "summer program", which consists of four dives a day in Bonaire. Don't you think that most of the people you are haranguing would like to have someone else pay for them to do four dives a day in Bonaire? I'd love it if someone would bankroll that for me. I'd even study in the evenings . . . but then again, my guess is that I already know more about diving physiology, decompression, diving history, and diving skills than you would at the end of your program. I don't know squat about business, but there are business degrees anywhere.

I totally understand your desire to make a career in something you love. I also applaud your decision to get more background and useful knowledge than the average guy who goes through his OWSI and wonders why he can't find a place to make a living using it. I just think you are very shortsighted and obsessive about the idea that THIS particular, very expensive college (that you can't afford) is the only way to accomplish what you envision.

Many of us have had to manage our educations with limited funds. In general, we probably didn't head for the most expensive private institution we could find. I went to state schools, and admittedly, they were cheap in those days . . . but they were state schools. I don't have a degree from Stanford or Harvard. I could have gotten into either, but I couldn't afford them, so I didn't go there. THESE are the kinds of decisions you have to make. Don't lose your vision of what you want to build for yourself; just regroup and figure out how to do it in a way you can afford.

Begging for money is unlikely to get you through college. (Although I've been amazed at what people can do begging, these days.) I personally feel no motivation at all to send you any money, and I suspect many of the people on your threads share my position. I don't find a pleasant, respectful, hard-working young man, presenting a track record of real accomplishment and requesting assistance. I find a very defensive and sometimes unpleasant young man who seems to think that somebody ought to give him an expensive, optional education because he wants it.

I respect your service to our country. I wish it had taught you more about discipline and focus and realism.

mkutyna thats for women divers only and for Grad students. My instuctor Sharon Keegles is in the Women Divers Hall Of Fame she looked into it for me.
Women Divers Hall of Fame | Member Roster 3 :D
Give a chance to the people the dont have the chance not to the ones that already do.

The very first scholarship on the link that I posted was for undergrads or grad students. Others on the list didn't specify a requirement for any degree program at all, just education.

Based on your original post, I assumed that you were asking for input on creating a scholarship program relating to diving. Was I wrong in that assumption?

Aggressor/PHD wages are great compared to the norm among Liveaboard operators.
I'm not surprised. Whatever they get, they deserve. In my experience they are hard working and highly competent. But the norm among liveaboard operators is not the proper metric for this conversation; we have to measure their compensation against the ~$100,000 cost of a Barry University education.

I think that today's undergraduates face some daunting economics. I graduated in 1981 with about $10,000 in debt at 3%, mostly incurred for living expenses, as my tuition was covered by scholarships. If I had been forced to come up with the ~$3,000 that Johns Hopkins cost back then, I think I would have had to attend a state school. It now costs over $50,000 per year to go there! I expect a new university model to emerge, taking advantage of technology to deliver education more cheaply (or maybe the self-administered scholarship model showcased in this thread will catch on :D), but in the mean time people are being saddled with massive debt with no hope of ever repaying it.

I dont qualify for all the stat loans thanks GI Bill, my dept to income is to high now to apply for more loans. My diving history is diving about once a month for a year till I got to college then it was every Sat and sometimes on sunday. Wrecks in NC, Reefs In Fl, with a few shallow wrecks.

I think that English is probably your second language. That would explain the odd grammar. Totally cool man. Just helps people to understand if you tell them that up front.

At any rate...I'm well versed in financial aid (I work at a private college in admissions and I have training in this area). Not to mention personal experience. Here is some clarification: Your GI Bill is totally separate from student loans/private loans. You can receive tuition money through the GI Bill AND also receive the total $12,500 in federal Stafford loans. The Stafford loans are not based on credit or financial need.

Most of us who are college graduates used a combination of PELL (free money based on financial need), Stafford Student loans, and income from working a job. Payment plans are also available at most colleges that are reputable.

Good luck and I hope that your dream comes true.

Oh--Barry University is a legitimate private university. That comes with a high tuition price. Nothing wrong with that and no need to settle for a community college education. Just don't expect anyone to help you pay for it :D.

Except in this case I suspect that the community college education is superior.

I sold my HOUSE to do this for a living - also my car and my motorcycle and my grandmother for medical experiments.

If you want an education in the dive industry, the best place to learn about it is in the dive industry - there is nothing they can teach you in a classroom that will equate to the real world of functioning in a cut-throat business full of people who are, for want of a better word, idiots. (ScubaBoarders excepted, of course! :D)

Live some life and don't expect it to be handed to you on a $20,000 silver platter; make your own way, see it for yourself and learn from your peers.

TsandM - do you know any surgical procedures that can disconnect my tongue from the inside of my cheek?

Cheers and good luck,

Crowley

For what you want to do the program that Florida Keys Community College is much less expensive and might even serve you better.

I am part of a Greek Organization, in fact two: Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi.:D

Um ... I think you meant a fraternity.

[thread hijack]
Are you a Sigma Chi?

Me too. :D Beta Theta chapter. Initiated University of Pittsburgh, January 1975.

Unfortunately, the Phi Beta Kappa guys would have blackballed me, if they had ever been interested. :shakehead:

[/thread hijack]

Rick

Typical fratboy, doesn't know the difference between Chi and Xi :D (look it up), and BTW, you can't be blackballed from Phi Beta Kappa (hint: neither are "social" fraternities).

Back
Top Bottom