Science Of Diving passed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't looked at the PDF...I know it's been revised recently.

This went far beyond anything covered in OW. Boyle's Law and Charles Law are mentioned in OW, but you aren't working physics problems based on them.

The tables work would be no problem to anyone who took OW before computers, or has had a decent nitrox course. Then again, even basic nitrox doesn't really include table work these days. I think that's a loss even if you only ever dive with computers, as the tables add to an understanding of what is actually happening to you.

---------- Post added April 1st, 2014 at 01:45 PM ----------

It is a prerequisite for professional ratings, yes.

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I heard some agencies are moving away from teaching tables in OW... I agree with you that Learning tables is beneficial and allows for a better understanding...

I haven't looked at the PDF...I know it's been revised recently.

This went far beyond anything covered in OW. Boyle's Law and Charles Law are mentioned in OW, but you aren't working physics problems based on them.

The tables work would be no problem to anyone who took OW before computers, or has had a decent nitrox course. Then again, even basic nitrox doesn't really include table work these days. I think that's a loss even if you only ever dive with computers, as the tables add to an understanding of what is actually happening to you.

---------- Post added April 1st, 2014 at 01:45 PM ----------

It is a prerequisite for professional ratings, yes.
I guess my OW class was far more thorough than many because we definitely did partial pressure problems in my OW class. I also learned tables in both my OW (PADI) by accident and my Nitrox (TDI) class by choice.

Either way, good job, since I forgot to mention it in my first post. Good luck on the next step.

When did you have OW? ;-)

My SSI OW book barely mentions the tables. We did do partial pressures in my PADI Nitrox class though, beyond what the book has. Helps that we had a couple of tech divers teaching that class. I got more out of it.

There's a definite discussion to be had around whether the "dumbing down" of OW to make it accessible to more people is good or bad, no doubt. Of course, that seems to be every few threads on the board... ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom