Scooter of your choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Master Chief once bubbled...
Now my understanding is that the GAVIN is more suitable for cave divers etc...
Nope, you understand wrong.

Here’s a page to poke around, lots of pictures of Gavins being used in open water (San Francisco area):

http://www.baue.org/

This video on this page will show you that the prop wash goes beneath you:

http://www.gue.com/equipment/feature/gavin/feature.shtml

Also notice with the prop out in front, unlike the Farallon, your equipment won’t be swept back by the current into the blades and you can keep an eye on the blades. The Farallon requires you to do isometric exercises throughout the dive (hanging on, which expends energy then therefore burns gas) whereas the Gavin tows you, saving gas energy and reducing fatigue.

The Gavins were used extensively for the Britannic expedition:

http://www.gue.com/research/britannic/index.shtml (follow the “Gallery” link)

The only dissenting opinion, AquaTec, has referred to a Gavin copy (I’m assuming you meant “Silent Submersion”):

http://www.silent-submersion.com/

You asked, you got a unanimous NO for the Farallon and a yes for the Gavin (with one vote for a copy). Did you really want help with your choice or simply confirmation that you made the right choice (which you didn’t get)? This board is a wealth of information, but only if you use it.

Roak

Master Chief once bubbled...
I think the Gavins are great scooter to, don't get me wrong here but I just find the Farallons better for long hauls and exploration.
Eight miles at 300 feet isn't a long haul and exploration? What does bottle dragging have to do with it? I don't care how much you "prepare", having the blades behind you is just asking for it to eat gear. This should be the first step of your "preparation": Getting the right scooter.

Obviously you just wanted confirmation. It's your money, go ahead and spend it the way you'd like. I just wish you hadn't wasted our time.

Roak

Hay!

If you think your wasting your time go away don't contribute who cares. I'm taking every ones comments to hart and I appreciate everything every one has contributed. I havn't made up my mind yet but want to be darn sure that what I purchase is the right DPV for me. I ask confronting questions so that I get back information and ideas which maybe I never thought of. I don't do tech diving and my needs for a DPV are not such that some of the pros and cons will effect me.

Master Chief

I will take you at your word... you have not made up your mind... and I will take the time to give you some more advice.

The Gavin used with the tow cord is very maneuverable... and easily turned in a tight circle with just slight pressure from one hand.

The Gavin will not require a buddy to help you carry it to the water or get it off the boat (though it is nice to have someone hand it down to you it isn't necessary.)

The Gavin does not have all the seals you seem to be concerned about... it has one ceramic seal.

Don't get puffy a Roaky... he is has a right to be grumpy... you asked the question and then want to debate every response that doesn't say get a Farallon (and that would be every response so far.)

Genesis once bubbled...
Uh, what these guys be smoking over there?
You can save a bunch of money by getting a Tekna and join the crowd that has tales about how the thing wouldn't turn off at 200' and finally had to cut loose because it turned into a case of the scooter or the diver.

I've seen several of these stories over the last couple of years...

Roak

$3,500 for a piece of pipe, a couple of O-rings, a handful of batteries, a relay, reed switch and motor is a case of pure rape.

This is "affordable" according to GI, even by "tech diver" standards?!

How can a UV- Scooter be a copy cat? The Gavin is junk compared to the UV. I've rode both, I have taken both apart, and I own a UV-26. For those of you that can look past stupid statments take a look at both web sites and tell me which one is better engineered. Copy cat, seems to me that gavin is the one copying now. They changed their material over to HDPE, also changed to the tapered rear but are still stuck on the cheap mako handles and cheap pvc motor housing and connectors. Lets see, who's selling them GI. Who came up with the design, not him, why do you think its called a Gavin! UV scooters in my opinon are 10 times better built. Trust me I'm cheap and I researched the crap out of both and still chose the UV even know it was more exspensive. All BS a side they both copied the Tekna/Mako its just that Gavins left more of the crappy parts on.

By the way Master Chief the guys that are telling you to vere away from Farallons are right. The ride on one's are real hard to stear the older tow behind ones the handles are in front of the propulsion part and are a tad easier to steer, a tad, but you can feel the propulsion pulling on your hands and god for bid if you have anything in your hand. Not quite sure on the brand new tow behinds, I would imagine they are alot easier to steer being that the handles are on the prop shroud. The other downfalls of Farallons are their motors which are noisy and burn alot of juice. Even the biggest lead acid battery type will only give you 60mins burn at 3/4 speed with doubles on. One of the new Farallons is clutched with a variable pitch prop like the UV and the Gavin. The other one I'm not sure about but I dont think its direct drive but what I do know from what I've read is there is only one speed, fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom