Scooter of your choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
that direct drive with variable pitch would be the solution.

But propulsion underwater is not so simple as bolting something on a shaft and off you go. I'm not an expert in this by any means, but I've gone through some of this with boats, and what's intuitive is not always what works best.

Like I would be anymore surprised that you would own anything less then a cult vehicle. You guys would use your underwear for lift bags if he told you it was DIR.

Oh wait I forgot to put the smiley face in there:)

I have an interest in scooters so I find this interesting. I don't have one and have never even shopped around for one. but it would sure be nice on some of those deep wrecks

I have determained this by reading here

1 - You deffinetly want a tow behind.
2- Gorge Irvine makes the Gavin so for the DIR group there is no choices, and therefor the Gavin must be best.
3 - The Gavin might very well be the best there is, but knowing what I know about how DIR selects gear, I will continue to check out other scooters as well, which might very well lead me to the gavin

Now some questions
1 - Are there any other scooters besides Gavin that are DIR
2 - How about price I understand the Pharalon is very expensive compaired to the Gaving and others
3 - The Silent Submersion seemed to be all the rage in cave country when i was there in August, what is the story on them.
4 - what about some of the other ones out there, from the non DIR crowd

In all of these post's, there has been no mention of the winding modifications that Gavin do to the DC stator windings. It is protected violently, and I have tried many times to find out what is done. As an ex motor-man (DC specialty!!) It interests me greatly. Is it Hype or is it good winding engineering.
I have asked a few people, and have been met with interesting responses (boy are they touchy about it) Perhaps I should buy one and pull it apart...........Or someone may already know (hint hint)

Dave

AquaTec once bubbled...
I have an interest in scooters so I find this interesting. I don't have one and have never even shopped around for one. but it would sure be nice on some of those deep wrecks
...you are going to end up with a Gavin, Doug... and one of the originals (they are making an HDP one now too) because it is rated to 500fsw. The Silent Submersion and the HDP Gavins are only rated to 300fsw.

Of course you could paint it hot pink with yellow flames so no one will think you are a DIR fanatic sucking up to G3... but since you like deep... you'll need the ride that can do it.

Hey Roakey can i ask a question. presuming that you do a lot of scootering in caves.

I don't know much about scooters or their use in caves

as for gas managment and redundency what happens when the scooter fails at your furthest point in.

is there redundency built into the scooter or do you cary enough gas to make it out without the scooter.

what is the advantage of a scooter in a cave if you cary all the gas to get out by swimming anyways, other than not having to swim.

Does any of this make since

fill me in please,

There really isnt any others for tow behinds. Just UV's, Gavins, and Farallons. Mako's and Tekna's arent rated for any deeper then 180' so their kind of out. If your interested in scooters really cant go wrong with either the UV or the Gavin. Farallon's are out in my book due to noise, burn to much juice, harder to stear, and are painted aluminum (chips/dents).

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom