Scooter of your choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
List,
I have two FARALLONS. I have one MK7 and a MK8 sitting in the shop. I have had the best customer service from Tom and the people there at Farallon. I did have a small problem that Tom has sent me whatever parts I needed free of charge. I find the ride alongs great diving wrecks in the ocean. I can mount a camera on top and also strap on 4 tanks on the bottom.

Bruce

a lot of scooters if you're cave diving...

You'd need redundancy between the two of you (buddy pairs), which means that you need enough capacity so that you never burn a scooter beyond some reasonable ratio (1/3rd?), or you have to tow (and/or stage) additional scooters...

Worst-case, you might have to be towed out by your buddy with a broken scooter behind you.

UV's are rated for 400ft and have been used at depths deeper then 500ft.

scubanarc once bubbled...
There really isnt any others for tow behinds. Just UV's, Gavins, and Farallons. Mako's and Tekna's arent rated for any deeper then 180' so their kind of out. If your interested in scooters really cant go wrong with either the UV or the Gavin. Farallon's are out in my book due to noise, burn to much juice, harder to stear, and are painted aluminum (chips/dents).

Thanks for the run down what is the UV model, I am not a fan of Farallons simple from what i have heard as to the burn time and size.

PUG Said
...you are going to end up with a Gavin, Doug... and one of the originals (they are making an HDP one now too) because it is rated to 500fsw. The Silent Submersion and the HDP Gavins are only rated to 300fsw.

You are probably right PUG, tell me more about the 500 ft rated unit. or links to their site. we know 300 foot rating is almost useless

I know you have a Gavin, how is the burn time, what is the boyancy caracteristics, and the dry land weight.

I would like to take one to Bikini to do some penetration on the Saratoga.

I would have to rethink gas management,

UV's are rated for 400ft and have been used at depths deeper then 500ft.

give use a link to UV's

andibk are you using your Farallons inside the wrecks you dive?

Aquatec... remember the video you watched on the Britannic?

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
In all of these post's, there has been no mention of the winding modifications that Gavin do to the DC stator windings. It is protected violently, and I have tried many times to find out what is done. As an ex motor-man (DC specialty!!) It interests me greatly. Is it Hype or is it good winding engineering.
I have asked a few people, and have been met with interesting responses (boy are they touchy about it) Perhaps I should buy one and pull it apart...........Or someone may already know (hint hint)

Dave

C'Mon, one of you must know something about scooter motor design!
Its one of the most critical components.
How can you draw a comparison without commenting on the type of rotor, number of poles, insulation class and type (enamel or glass), Air gap, bearing type, laminated poles or not (huge efficiency gains), Shunt or series wound, cumulative or differential winding, progressive or retrogressive winding.....(am I dribbling now) :D

Dave

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
andibk are you using your Farallons inside the wrecks you dive?

Aquatec... remember the video you watched on the Britannic?

yes i remember....Gavins i am sure

http://www.silent-submersion.com/
UV's are Silent Submersions but not rated to just 300

Great site for information for the UV, the Gavin site posted was realy a GUE site with George simply saying get this one cause i said so.
it would be nice to see a good Gavin site.

Oh by the way I was playing craps in Vegas the other day with the owner of Farallon. he throws a good dice, and a very nice guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom