scorpion fish attacks wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once placed my hand on a california scorpionfish while spearfishing on a rock wall. the surge had pushed me very close to the rocks and as it was receeding I was quickly coming down on a rock, I put my hand out to cushion the blow and inadvertently placed my hand right on a scorpionfish. It didn't puncture me and we both went out separate ways none the worse.

Allison Finch:
I have never been stung by one, but I love to slide my hand under one and gently lift it towards me. If you are gentile and slow, they don't seem to mind this handling at all. Just DO be careful.
I can just see a bunch of people getting stung by trying this.

Reminds me of the Khmer monks who can make a crocodile docile by rubbing a certain spot on the croc's belly.

How can you tell the difference between a stonefish and a scorpionfish? Do they behave differently? Hang out in different types of places?

The Red Sea is supposed to have both, and I've seen a lot of one of them... stonefish, I think. Amazing. Can hardly see them when you know they're there, and you're looking right at them.

--Marek

The stone fish is definitely more tricky to spot than the scorpion fish, it really looks like a rock. Stone fish can be found in the warmer climates: Red Sea, Indian Ocean and apparently from other posters, in the Asia Pacific region. Scorpion fish can be found in all tropical to temperate seas. Sorry I have no pictures but I bet if you google stonefish picture you'll see the difference (or you won't see anything at all when trying to spot the stone fish!).

Stonefish and bottom-dwelling scorpionfish have similar behaviour and hang out in similar locations. Stonefish have upturned snouts and have more exaggerated pectoral fins than most scorpionfish (excluding the lionfish, technically a part of the scorpionfish family).

My buddy was stung by a lionfish diving at Mabul in Malaysia. If you want the whole story, let me know.

plongeursousmarin:
Sorry I have no pictures but I bet if you google stonefish picture you'll see the difference
Vie:
Stonefish have upturned snouts and have more exaggerated pectoral fins than most scorpionfish
I've got a fish ID card (eight cards accordion-folded, actually) showing Red Sea fish and other critters. Shows both stonefish and scorpionfish. The stonefish is pictured larger than the scorpionfish (up to 40 cm, vs. 30 cm), more greyish (vs. the scorpionfish's reddishness), and you can see the larger pectoral fin on the stonefish. The stonefish also looks relatively fatter.

I've done an Internet search, and one of the main differentiating features seems to be that the stonefish has a more downturned mouth. But, no joke... it's hard to see anything on those guys!

The ones I've seen in the Red Sea have had the prominent pectoral fin... except the fin had a definite v-shaped "break" about 2/3 of the way toward the tail, which isn't pictured anywhere.

--Marek

plongeursousmarin:
The stone fish is definitely more tricky to spot than the scorpion fish, it really looks like a rock. Stone fish can be found in the warmer climates: Red Sea, Indian Ocean and apparently from other posters, in the Asia Pacific region. Scorpion fish can be found in all tropical to temperate seas. Sorry I have no pictures but I bet if you google stonefish picture you'll see the difference (or you won't see anything at all when trying to spot the stone fish!).

can also be found in the Atlantic..at least on the uk side (stone fish)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom