scorpion fish attacks wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisW:
Scorpionfish are in the Atlantic and the Carribean as well.

here's one at night in Belize.

We saw loads of scorpionfish in Bonaire. I saw one in about 6 feet of water as well. I was struck by the gorgeous colors of their fins when they chose to swim.

plongeursousmarin:
Seems strange that it would be found that far out of 'normal' range. Found this interesting link with a couple of great pictures:
http://www.austmus.gov.au/fishes/students/focus/sverruc.htm

I have seen a number of stone fish around the N Ireland coast I don't have a photo of one (video yes) As stated in a earlier post plump and Grey in colour.
I have a friend still in NI I will see if he has any photos.

What's interesting is that several web sites note that stonefish are one of the most venomous fish out there, if not the most venomous.

What happened to the rule that poisonous critters are supposed to advertise it??
11.gif

--Marek

Marek K:
*sigh* OK, I may regret this, but tell us. :11:

I don't know why you'd regret it....?

Anyway, the story is that around the jetty at the Sipadan water village on Mabul there are so many lionfish it's hard to keep track of them at times. They are of all sizes, from tiny juveniles to full grown adults bigger than a basketball. During a dive my buddy and I were diving around the jetty taking pictures and he didn't notice a larger lionfish swim closer to his left arm. It had swum from behind him and as he moved a hand down towards his side it collided with the fish and he was stuck by four of it's spines in four of his fingers. He says it's the worst pain he has felt in his life and that nearly boiling water felt good compared to the constant throbbing pain at the puncture sites.

Marek K:
What's interesting is that several web sites note that stonefish are one of the most venomous fish out there, if not the most venomous.

What happened to the rule that poisonous critters are supposed to advertise it??
11.gif

--Marek
They have their own websites, isn't that advertising enough for you?

BTW, not all poisonous creatures are flashy. Take the black mamba for instance:
http://www.kingsnake.com/elapids/black_mamba.htm

_Bella_:
I don't know why you'd regret it....?
I don't know. You just made it sound so... ominous.

But I suppose you were replying to Lewey's original post.

Anyway, thanks... I'm glad you posted the story. [/QUOTE]

_Bella_:
He says it's the worst pain he has felt in his life and that nearly boiling water felt good compared to the constant throbbing pain at the puncture sites.
11.gif
Um, maybe I'm not glad.

In the Red Sea, anyway, the lionfish hide under the reefs during the day... no problem, unless someone is stupid enough to reach under there for them. It's only at night that they come out to hunt; that's when you have to be a little careful as to what -- and who -- is around you... because they're not at all shy about coming up to you... seem to be fascinated by lights.

Interesting that this lionfish came out like that during the day!

--Marek

Thanks Bella I appreciate the story even though it is actual scorpion fish I need. Thanks everyone else for all the bits of info, I appreciate your help.

I'm guessing scorpion fish are similar in that I've read they are more nocturnal.

Lewey

Back
Top Bottom