Scuba equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
What is the basic equipment needed to go diving? I am looking into buying an entire set in the future (probably within the next year) So I was just wondering what the basic equipment needed was and possible a short description of what it is for.. Im sorry if there is another topic on this. :dork2: i couldnt find one so a link would work also. thanks!

What is the basic equipment needed to go diving? I am looking into buying an entire set in the future (probably within the next year) So I was just wondering what the basic equipment needed was and possible a short description of what it is for.. Im sorry if there is another topic on this. :dork2: i couldnt find one so a link would work also. thanks!

First things first. are you planning on taking a course(s) before you dive into the deep end, so to speak? I hope so. Second, i would highly recommend rentals/borrowing for the first while. That way you can develop an idea of what your preferences are, there are hundreds of different choices for each piece of gear needed, and some you will love others you might loathe.

You need at least your own mask, fins, and snorkel, to start with. The mask allows for an air space between your eyes and the water, in order to see clearly. It also has a pocket for your nose which allows you to equalize the air space in your mask, so it doesn't squeeze your face as you descend. Fins allow you to move effectively through the water, and are oftentimes worn with neoprene booties in order to give you feet some thermal protection and helps to keep the fins comfortable. The snorkel attaches to your mask and lets you conserve your tank air by allowing you to breathe comfortably at the surface.

You'll need a tank, buoyancy compensator (called BC or BCD for short), regulator, and gauges. The tank holds compressed air (generally), the regulator attaches to your tank and consists of two parts. The first stage attaches directly to your tank, and brings the air from tank pressure to ambient pressure so you can breathe it at depth. It is connected by a hose to the regulator's second stage, which is the part in your mouth that you breathe from. A set of gauges is a good idea, and connects to the regulator's first stage via a hose. It tells you how much air you have remaining in your tank and what depth you are at. It is usually contained in a small plastic console that you clip off to your BC. The BC is similar to a vest, and fills with air to compensate for the compression of your wetsuit. Basically, the air pockets in your wetsuit compress as you go deeper, making you sink faster. In order to be able to swim along without sinking to the bottom, you add a little air to the air pocket in your BC (which also connects to your regulator's first stage via a small hose). It also helps you to float on the surface.

A wetsuit is a good idea, because it helps you conserve body heat, and keeps marine life from stinging you. A wrist or console mounted dive computer is also handy, because it tells you how long you have been underwater, reminds you to ascend slowly, and tells you how long you can safely stay underwater. Some safety gear that's important is a knife (in case you get tangled in some fishing line underwater), an inflatable plastic tube so you can signal the boat in case they don't see you, and a whistle (same reason).

When you decide to become certified (I'm assuming you're not - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), the instructor will explain all the gear, and what it's for. I definitely would wait to purchase gear (except for your mask, fins, and snorkel) until you pass the class and become certified. That way, if something comes up during your class and you decide you don't like diving, or if you've changed your mind about gear choices, you're not stuck with a whole ton of gear that you don't want! :)

I found a link on About.com that contains a glossary of scuba gear terms: http://scuba.about.com/od/basicequipmentglossary/Basic_Scuba_Diving_Equipment_Glossary.htm
Hope this helps...

I've been diving a couple times with my dad. He is certified and we decided it would be a good idea that i get certified so we can do more next time. So hopefully within the next couple months i will get certified. (btw I'm 16) I mainly posted here because I would like to know the names of a lot of the essential gear and stuff. I LOVE to learn all i can when it comes to things i love.

Go to a local dive store and talk to them about classes and rental equipment. They should provide rental gear for your classes. You will only need to buy mask, snorkel, gloves, slate and weights.
decide on a certification agency ( you cant go wrong with PADI ). Try the rental gear before you decide on what is right for you. Post where you live and ask for recommendations on a good local dive store (LDS) .You will get great advice that relates to your area and location can effect your equipment choices ( cold or warm dives).
Hope this helps Richard

I am going to get NAUI certified. Does it matter whether its NAUI or PADI?

I am going to get NAUI certified. Does it matter whether its NAUI or PADI?

It really doesn't matter whether it's NAUI or PADI. Either one is a great agency, and you can pretty much swap between the two when it comes to furthering your diving education. Many people get certs from both agencies. Instructor choice, IMO, is more important than the agency.

I have to agree with trying various gear before buying. Some places may even let you "Dive it before you buy it". I tried both a back inflate BC and a jacket style before I decided to buy. Personal preference plays in with your choice. Try a few different ones out, figure out what works for you, then go from there.

The boards here are great for finding out information, and you will find that everyone here is EXTREMELY helpful in the advice given.

BTW, let us know how your certification goes, and welcome to the boards.

What is the basic equipment needed to go diving? I am looking into buying an entire set in the future (probably within the next year)
1. Mask, snorkel, fins

2. Exposure suit (e.g. wetsuit)
3. Bouyancy Control Device (BCD)
4. Regulator, with gauge console (pressure gauge, depth gauge, compass)

5. Tank
6. Timing device; computer
7. Lots AND LOTS of other stuff
a. Writing devices (slates, Wet Notes)
b. Signaling devices (mirror, whistle, horn)
c. Cutting devices (shears, knife)
d. Light
e. Camera
f. (Almost endless list of additional gear)

These are arranged in a very general order of purchase, but there is not an agreed-upon sequence of purchase. You don't have to own anything to start lessons. In fact, you don't have to own anything to get certified. Frequently, people will buy 1. (mask, snorkel, fins) during training - they are the least expensive pieces of primary gear - and some shops encourage, or even require, that student divers own these by the time of certification. Some people will buy more gear (e.g. some combination of 2., 3., 4., maybe more) during training, or immediately after certification. As several others have indicated, there is some merit in using rented equipment (2., 3., 4., 5.) for a while after certification, to get a feel for what you like and don't like, before making a significant investment.

One other piece of 'equipment' on ScubaBoard is your user profile. It gives people some idea of who / where you are, and may allow better responses (e.g. if you live in the frozen north the 'exposure suit' might be a drysuit). There is a red menu bar on the screen above the posts you are reading, that includes these choices:
Forums
Board Features
User CP
Calendar
Scuba Chat
Search
Quick Links
Log Out

Click on User CP, look for the 'Edit Profile' menu choice, and tell us a little more about yourself.

I suggest to all my students that they try a few different brands of rental gear before they buy. Especially masks! I mean, think of all of the different face shapes there are out there! Finding one that fits and you do not have to constntly clear can make you far more comfortable while diving than any other piece of equipment- and save you air.

About the only thing I would suggest you buy is a wetsuit (you need training for a dry suit). Just make sure it is snug so it keeps you warm and not too tight around the neck. And remember- they feel more pliable when wet.

I know this is a pretty late reply but if you are still buying I would completely recommend the Aqualung Pearl i3. I have the women's version and absolutely love it. Instead of and inflator hose you have a little lever on the left-hand side. Pull it up and you go up. Push it down and you go down. It's really sensitive too and great for the price.

Back
Top Bottom