Scuba Etiquette: Tipping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there 2 weeks ago and it really pissed me off to see a family of 3 tip the DM $3 per trip. That's only .50 per tank. This particular family required a moderate amount of assistance and took up a lot of space on the boat. A tip that small almost seems like an insult to me. There were a couple of us on the boat who made a point of showing how much we were tipping, but these folks either never got the hint or were just cheapskates to begin with. Either way, I felt the DM and the Capitan were slighted.

Let your heart be your guide on tipping, but remember that these guys work hard so you can enjoy your vacation. What's an extra ~$50-$100 per person when you've already spent good money to get there?

I am not real sure that is fair. First let me clarify how I feel -- I like this discussion because I am new to this board. My ex wife was a waitress and worked off of practically only tips so I know how important they are, but it is a business where the tips are provided for "good" service, and if I don't receive good service the tip suffers, typically at restaurants I go down from 20% if the service sucks, still usually give at least 10% for even mediocre/poor service. If something is blatantly wrong or a rude attitude then nothing.

I asked my LDS about this since we are taking a trip to WPB in July and will be diving for 4 days and I have never been on a boat trip diving. He basically said he (dive shop owner going with us) will collect about $40-$50 from each of use at the end of the last boat ride and then tip the operator and it is his job to split up the tips to all who helped since we might be having different people on different days. With 20 people going that is quite a bit of money going to the operator on top of what we pay to go. I don't plan on tipping anymore than that unless I end asking for services above and beyond.

I understand being pissed at the family for not tipping properly but not knowing their circumstances either might be part of the problem. What if they had saved for two years just for that trip and did not have a whole lot extra to spend because they were not counting on tipping out $40/day in tips? I understand that after saving for two years so I could take my daughter to Ireland for a graduation present, and then once you are there you have to budget everything pretty thoroughly.

Also DM are usually pretty smart people doing what they love. I think we all have fantasized about diving everyday for a living and hanging up the office crap, but at the same time I have to work a normal job to support the diving I do. I am not saying they should not be paid well, but maybe operators should be paying them more for their services as well..

I know one DM that works boats off of NC during the summer months because he works for the school system during the year. He would probably work for free just because he loves diving so much.

I am not saying they don't deserve a fair tip but I wonder if this thread is pumped up a bit with people in the business.

Undercurrent did a two or three part piece on this subject about a year ago. It may be in the public section of their web page. What I remember from the piece is that in some popular diving destinations the rest of the world does not tip. Not only do some view Americans as idiots for doing so, they also deeply resent it since they feel we are encouraging the spread of the custom. Knowing what local wages are is the only way to have a gauge on what is fair, and that info is sometimes hard to come by. I’ve been told the crews in Indonesia make $50-$150 a month. A $5 a day tip is pretty good in those circumstances.

My new rule of thumb is I tip at home, but if the area I am going to caters to Euros, Brits, Canadians or Aussies I don’t tip at all.

I’ve been told the crews in Indonesia make $50-$150 a month. A $5 a day tip is pretty good in those circumstances.

Only if you want to keep them making $150/month.

Sort of "chicken or the egg" logic...

:eyebrow:

Undercurrent did a two or three part piece on this subject about a year ago. It may be in the public section of their web page. What I remember from the piece is that in some popular diving destinations the rest of the world does not tip. Not only do some view Americans as idiots for doing so, they also deeply resent it since they feel we are encouraging the spread of the custom. Knowing what local wages are is the only way to have a gauge on what is fair, and that info is sometimes hard to come by. I’ve been told the crews in Indonesia make $50-$150 a month. A $5 a day tip is pretty good in those circumstances.

My new rule of thumb is I tip at home, but if the area I am going to caters to Euros, Brits, Canadians or Aussies I don’t tip at all.

Canadians?

I am not real sure that is fair. First let me clarify how I feel -- I like this discussion because I am new to this board. My ex wife was a waitress and worked off of practically only tips so I know how important they are, but it is a business where the tips are provided for "good" service, and if I don't receive good service the tip suffers, typically at restaurants I go down from 20% if the service sucks, still usually give at least 10% for even mediocre/poor service. If something is blatantly wrong or a rude attitude then nothing.

I asked my LDS about this since we are taking a trip to WPB in July and will be diving for 4 days and I have never been on a boat trip diving. He basically said he (dive shop owner going with us) will collect about $40-$50 from each of use at the end of the last boat ride and then tip the operator and it is his job to split up the tips to all who helped since we might be having different people on different days. With 20 people going that is quite a bit of money going to the operator on top of what we pay to go. I don't plan on tipping anymore than that unless I end asking for services above and beyond.

I understand being pissed at the family for not tipping properly but not knowing their circumstances either might be part of the problem. What if they had saved for two years just for that trip and did not have a whole lot extra to spend because they were not counting on tipping out $40/day in tips? I understand that after saving for two years so I could take my daughter to Ireland for a graduation present, and then once you are there you have to budget everything pretty thoroughly.

Also DM are usually pretty smart people doing what they love. I think we all have fantasized about diving everyday for a living and hanging up the office crap, but at the same time I have to work a normal job to support the diving I do. I am not saying they should not be paid well, but maybe operators should be paying them more for their services as well..

I know one DM that works boats off of NC during the summer months because he works for the school system during the year. He would probably work for free just because he loves diving so much.

I am not saying they don't deserve a fair tip but I wonder if this thread is pumped up a bit with people in the business.

I've never been in a job or profession dependent on tips, but realize, at least in the USA (and some other parts of the world), there are jobs that depend on them for the majority of their income - I don't think anyone "likes" tipping b/c its a 10, 15, 20% addition to money you have already spent - but its part of of the deal, and if you don't, people view you as a cheapskate. :no:

I don't "like" tipping, but realize the cost of a dive trip for example, would be more if the DM did not make tips - or the cost of a res't meal, for that matter. On a 2 tank day charter, I give the DM $10 - I see some give zero, and others $20 - the former I think are cheap, the latter overly generous.

Personally, I'd rather see those folks paid a living wage, but one way or the other, the consumer pays for it - I also wish, on a liveaboard, for example, they would include the $300 - 500+ in staff gratuties expected at the end of the trip.

Re the family that gave $3.00 a day to the DM - that to me is like leaving a dime after a meal. 3 people, likely newbies, you can bet the DM did more for them than he would have for me.

If you are so hard up for cash, save up an extra week or 2 so you can do the right thing, or forgo the extra beer at dinner - in todays world, with all the resourses available on line as to what is "proper" and "expected" no one should be that clueless.

If you are that hard up, perhaps you need to rethink if you can afford the vacation. Its not the DM's fault that you are strapped for $$$ yet are taking a vacation :shakehead:

Sure, the system sucks, but until things change, I'm not going to screw the waiter or DM.

If you are that hard up, perhaps you need to rethink if you can afford the vacation. Its not the DM's fault that you are strapped for $$$ yet are taking a vacation :shakehead:

ie. if YOUR so hard up for the "Tips" (by the way when a Tip has become expected its no longer a Tip its a Fee, and we've already Paid that) then maybe YOU need to Rethink your Career choice. Its not the CUSTOMERS fault that you are strapped for $$$ either is it ?

Liveaboards require $300-$500 "tip" at the end of the week? "whats an extra 3-5 hundred dollars? " are you serious? its an extra 3-5 hundred dollars thats what!

I mean what kind of service does my FEE entitle me to? Those taking your position act as if the Fee we've Already Paid to be here only pays for the boat ride and nothing else... (which is incorrect)

And the effrontry espoused at the people that didnt tip "enough" for your liking.... that kind of attitude makes me want to give absolutely Nothing...

If your not happy with your life choices and the job you've chose, get another... but dont lambast those of us who work JUST AS HARD (or harder) and DONT get tips.

Here is my input on this. When I first started scuba diving I thought it was mandatory to tip because my instructor told me to. So let me describe typical dive at Boynton beach florida.

I help load the tanks, I help unload the tanks, I help load bags and I help unload the bags, I climb up the stairs after the dive all by myself and then mosey over to my spot with Co-Captain throwing rubber band on my octo so tank does not wobble after I remove my bcd. I reach over for a bottle of water provided for the trip and a few cookies that are available. I also paid $70 for the trip and $30 for nitrox. So why would I want to tip if neither captain nor co-captain (both of whom are very nice guys btw) did anything other than carry me to the dive spot, handed me the flag and picked me up and dropped me off and drove me back to the docks? I do not give tips here in usa because I do not receive service that requires a tip.

Then of course you travel to Cozumel where they worship you and give you a 5 star service and chopped fresh fruit and water and cookies and help you climb the boat and remove your gear and change tanks and load and unload both tanks and gear and actually dive with you pointing out things you would have missed otherwise... that kind of service demands a good tip and that is why every time I go to cozumel I tip away every single day.

A tip is a courtesy and not a requirement. I spent 10 years working on jobs that depend on tips and I learned that for me to earn money I actually have to try and impress the person who may or may not chose to tip me.

ie. if YOUR so hard up for the "Tips" (by the way when a Tip has become expected its no longer a Tip its a Fee, and we've already Paid that) then maybe YOU need to Rethink your Career choice. Its not the CUSTOMERS fault that you are strapped for $$$ either is it ?

Liveaboards require $300-$500 "tip" at the end of the week? "whats an extra 3-5 hundred dollars? " are you serious? its an extra 3-5 hundred dollars thats what!

I mean what kind of service does my FEE entitle me to? Those taking your position act as if the Fee we've Already Paid to be here only pays for the boat ride and nothing else... (which is incorrect)

And the effrontry espoused at the people that didnt tip "enough" for your liking.... that kind of attitude makes me want to give absolutely Nothing...

If your not happy with your life choices and the job you've chose, get another... but dont lambast those of us who work JUST AS HARD (or harder) and DONT get tips.

I think you need to read the post I made again - your comments are off base based upon what was posted - at least by me

Only if you want to keep them making $150/month.

Sort of "chicken or the egg" logic...

:eyebrow:
Tips that are large relative to base salaries keep the base salaries down, they don't raise the salaries.

I always tip for good service in the US. 15% of the bill.
When I was diving in the PI, I tipped the boatman and they were actually quite surprised,
even though the tip was very small.
Brought small gifts for their kids like goggles or candy. But after reading all these tip posts, I realize I should have tipped much more to the DM's. Like Cozumel in the Philippines they dive with you and are very attentive. Your tanks are changed out during SI, snacks, water, towels, they carry all things, and even rinse your stuff if you want. I will be in Cozumel soon and if the service is good, then I'll give $5 per tank. anyway just wanted to give my .02 pesos worth.

Back
Top Bottom