Scubapro-are my regs worn out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are they exhibiting any operational issues (ip creep, free flow, etc.?). Servicing is likely a solution, but as said above, I seriously doubt I could trust the tech who said you need to replace them, and also don't trust that he wouldn't do something "by accident" to necessitate you needing to replace them.....

I loathe this industry...... there are just too many sharks..... regrettably, its hard to tell the honest ones from the crooks.

As to sending them in to SP Corporate to evaluate? Are you kidding me? That is a guarantee to never see them again, get a credit to buy more SP stuff only, be forced to buy new unnecessarily, etc.

If a dealer/tech can't determine warranty/wear tear, then once again, bad things are happening....

again, all trust is lost....... find a new tech....

All kidding aside, I use a MK5 set with metal 109's. I've had several sets in my posession at different times.
Those older regs were about as good as SP ever got.
You'd be crazy to replace them.
Find a tech that loves that old stuff and does a good job.
There are regs many years older than what you have breathing just as good as the day they came out of the box.
Just a hunch, but I'll bet they is absolutely nothing wrong with what you have.

Gulp... I guess I'm going to have to retire my eight Mk10s and G250s and buy shiny new stuff. Oh, wait... my old regs are working just fine. Never mind.

As to sending them in to SP Corporate to evaluate? Are you kidding me? That is a guarantee to never see them again, get a credit to buy more SP stuff only, be forced to buy new unnecessarily, etc.
I just had Scubapro tech service contact us. They are sending our client a brand new mask; his mask was evaluated and is being replaced - no charge. I have found Scubapro tech service to be fair. In the OP's case you are probably correct. The OP may need a new tech.

Back in the day (30 years ago), Scubapro tech service would replace everything and anything, Now I feel they are more than fair most of the time!

Casey:

I have no issues with you. Your efforts to assist are fair. My experiences with you have been pleasant.

EDIT:

OP, I'd suggest getting them serviced/evaluated through Casey's shop if you can't find someone convenient to you that you trust. Another place is Malibu Scuba Repair (west coast): http://www.malibuscubarepair.com/ The owner is one I hold in high regard.

Thanks everyone. I am in Toronto and I think I will go to another dealer and get a second opinion.

Thanks everyone. I am in Toronto and I think I will go to another dealer and get a second opinion.

That would be around opinion 17:wink:

Joking aside, agree with others. Good luck finding an honest(?) and trustworthy alternative shop. Merry Xmas.

There are a couple of things that have not been mentioned. One is that if you have had them serviced annually for 25 years, you have now spent far more in servicing these regs than they originally cost, and as occasional divers, probably far more than is necessary. The other is that these regulators are sold with a lifetime warranty. It sounds as if you have honored your end of the warranty requirements, and as such, if they cannot be serviced, any dealer should replace these regs free of charge. No "upgrade" or "trade in" B.S., just free replacement with whatever model is closest to what you now have. That's probably a MK25/G250V for your MK10 and a MK2+ for your MK200. If SP does not still have any G250Vs (I think that has been discontinued) and IF the problem you are having is only in your first stage, they could replace the MK10 with a MK25 1st stage and you could keep using your G250. That would be a good solution.

But most likely your regs are fine, unless you have a pitted ambient chamber. That really can be trouble, although a few of us DIYers have successfully cleaned up corroded ambient chambers with a bit of fine sandpaper/micromesh/polishing compound. A dealer won't do that. If you do have pitted ambient chambers, it's likely because you did not adequately soak your regs after saltwater use. Regardless, that's not your problem, you've already put plenty of money in SP's pocket in service costs. I suspect they will gladly replace your regs. It's a tough business and honoring your warranty will more than pay for itself in terms of good PR.

BTW, 25 years is not old for a well made regulator. None of the regs I use (and I have many to choose from) are as young as yours.

+1 ^

I have had a good response from Scubapro for warranty, they have fixed a BC I purchased second hand, covering the freight both ways. I did advise I didn't have the original receipt and that I was not the original owner. This was handled though the local SP dive shop with out a blink of the eye.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom