ScubaPro Go Sport fins in drift diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far, we have had been using our Go fins on the regular. We are getting ready to go to Cozumel for a week and I am actually eager to see how they do. I have spoken to a member of the scuba club that went this week and they are very happy with them. I will update in about 14 days!!

Just curious, do you have Go-Travel fins or Go-Sport fins?

For my next trip to Jupiter area which will not likely be until next year as I have other trips and other things to do other than SCUBA dive :wink:. Well, anyways, I plan to get a (new) set of free diver fins this time with interchangeable blades. For open water use only, if one can be cognizant of where their fins tips are in regard to the biota, and you really want to make headway against current, that is the e-ticket. But free diver fins for SCUBA have so many disadvantages compared to standard SCUBA fins (Go-Sports) that I would consider free diver fins for SCUBA a niche or for specialized use only.

Cozumel in November, Go-Sports all the way :).

James

Just curious, do you have Go-Travel fins or Go-Sport fins?

For my next trip to Jupiter area which will not likely be until next year as I have other trips and other things to do other than SCUBA dive :wink:. Well, anyways, I plan to get a (new) set of free diver fins this time with interchangeable blades. For open water use only, if one can be cognizant of where their fins tips are in regard to the biota, and you really want to make headway against current, that is the e-ticket. But free diver fins for SCUBA have so many disadvantages compared to standard SCUBA fins (Go-Sports) that I would consider free diver fins for SCUBA a niche or for specialized use only.

Cozumel in November, Go-Sports all the way :).

James
We have the Go Sports. We bought them because we could wear the boots instead of socks.

I had been diving the Go Sports for the last couple of years, but picked up the Supernovas while in the UK last month. They sort of feel like the love child of the Nova Gorillas and Go Sports. I am super happy with them. I am about to put them to a true test in Fiji at the end of the month.

the love child of the Nova Gorillas and Go Sports.

I hope it was a committed and legitimate love child :p

I'd love to read your report, I have the Go Sports but ordering the Supernovas.

Here is the report about the Scubapro Go Sports:

Background in the thread is that we were asking about people's experiences with them, both the men and the ladies. We explained that were initially were not happy with them but continued to work with them and see how we felt. Lots of input from all here and I really do appreciate it all.

Report: They worked very well. There were some issues with the current but we weren't alone. Our DM had some issues on Casablanca Reef a couple of times and he had long paddle fins. he even had a tough time in that current. That current was in another place and was just as bad. And this was in one day of diving!! I found myself on that same dive just being pushed out into the main channel because of the current. That was a really hard and heavy current! However, in moderate currents and below, they were great! We are going to be using them for a while.

They are very portable and easy to transport. My wife had them hooked to her Cotopaxi backpack with S-carabiners and everything fit in the overhead compartment. We both liked them and were very pleased with their performance.

Happy diving, y'all!

Here is the report about the Scubapro Go Sports:

Background in the thread is that we were asking about people's experiences with them, both the men and the ladies. We explained that were initially were not happy with them but continued to work with them and see how we felt. Lots of input from all here and I really do appreciate it all.

Report: They worked very well. There were some issues with the current but we weren't alone. Our DM Yassar got rolled around on Casablanca Reef a couple of times and he had long paddle fins. he even had a tough time in that current. That current was in another place and was just as bad. And this was in one day of diving!! I found myself on that same dive just being pushed out into the main channel because of the current. That was a really hard and heavy current! However, in moderate currents and below, they were great! We are going to be using them for a while.

They are very portable and easy to transport. My wife had them hooked to her Cotopaxi backpack with S-carabiners and everything fit in the overhead compartment. We both liked them and were very pleased with their performance.

Happy diving, y'all!

I am glad that there is a happier ending after all.

Please note that there are no fins for swimming against strong current because you aren't supposed to be fighting current at all. In strong, or even moderate current, you are supposed to swim with it and be picked up later by a moving boat or swim 90 degrees to the current to get out of it if it is an unanticipated transitory current. In your case, you are swimming with the current until it is time to come up.

Happy and safe diving, enjoy your fins with more diving :)

I am glad that there is a happier ending after all.

Please note that there are no fins for swimming against strong current because you aren't supposed to be fighting current at all. In strong, or even moderate current, you are supposed to swim with it and be picked up later by a moving boat or swim 90 degrees to the current to get out of it if it is an unanticipated transitory current. In your case, you are swimming with the current until it is time to come up.

Happy and safe diving, enjoy your fins with more diving :)
Actually, I was trying to swim across the current, but it was so heavy that nothing I did helped. We were all in the same boat, so to speak.

And we are going to enjoy them! Going to Mermet Spring, Il for a friend getting their AOW then back to Cozumel in December to dive with friends. Then Roatan! The next year is booked! Oh yeah, gonna enjoy them!!

I'm looking for a new set of travel fins. We've always used the Hollis F2's for travel, but I keep finding they really lack the power of the regular jet fins, and we get left behind in current.

Has anyone by chanced used both and can comment on whether they are more powerful than the F2's or have used them in high current and cares to comment on their power compared to other fins?

Cheers

Can anyone speak to their confidence in the bungee straps? I'm a fan of spring straps but you could always bring a spare bungee I guess as long as the mounting is pretty rugged.

Back
Top Bottom