ScubaPro vs. everyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I can get his attention, I'll see if we can't get RainReg to contribute to this thread.

RainReg is a very good source of info and will be able to comment on many of the points that have been raised.

I have used Scuba Pro, Oceanic, Apeks, USD and Atomic. The Atomic is the best breathing reg by far and especially at depth (>200'). The SP, Oceanic and Apeks are all good. I have a mix of them but use the Atomic (primary) and Oceanic (backup, deco) the most. The oceanics are all diaphram regs because of the cold water diving I usually end up in (38 degF). The atomic is enviro sealed and I have not had it freeflow (yet).

omar

There are a whole bunch of opinions I have to answer too! Its great!

See back home in Canada very few people even give Apex the time of day, because they've had them and have switched back to Scubapro.

As far as Irvine diving for 5 years without an overhaul he's an idiot! For the type of diving he's doing he should be overhauling his gear every 6 months. Its not smart to screw around because eventually something will kick him in the butt.

Scubapro did have some problems with o-rings over the years same as Atomic has had problems with flash fires, USD has had problems with every reg they ever made, Dacor has had problems with Viper's, and every company at one time or another has pretty much had minor set backs here and there. It wasn't until last year that we really started to push Scubapro again, and as I mentioned it replaced Apex.

I use an OPR on my all deco regs incase of first stage failure so I don't get 3000psi in my mouth! If you aren't using an OPR valve on your deco regs you may want to start before you do have a problem.

All the Atomic regs were designed by the original engineers of the Mark 20, but this year the S600 came out and blew Atomic away.

I don't usually believe the Navy tests but this arugment always comes up, and its something that doesn't lie! The S600 scored higher than any reg in history, it just blew the guys pants off in sport diver, rhodales, and most of the major dive magazines.

The only testing that I do believe is my own. The reg has to live up to my environment, and I seem to have a little bit of bad luck at times on dives with things exploding. I am glad that I have Never had a problem with a Scubapro. They are about the only one's I haven't had any problems with. I will stick with that because it is my life. My dive buddies and I play around a lot with new technology at the beginning of the season, and see what will work over the first few months, and that keeps us all up to date.

The only magazines I read usually are Immersed, Divetraining, and Diver (Canada). All the other magazine's send me complimentary issues so I read them at my convenience.

Its my job to keep up on the gear because I'm around 24/7. If you look in my comments I do mention that Apex regs are okay, but they aren't necessarily the be all end all of diving regulators.

I stand with my original comments Scubapro and Poseidon are the Best.

Poseidon's shouldn't have a hard cracking pressure they should be setup to give you a lung full of air as soon as you start your inhalation. Lost Yooper's obviously wasn't tweeked up enough.

I think anyone thats used poseidon will agree.

:boom:

The only regs I've heard of blowing up are Posiedons without the OPV hose. This is a non issue for most regs, but stranger things have happened, I guess. Seems like you hear something new everyday around here

I'm not exactly defending Irvine's maintenance practices, but I have yet to meet anyone as anal about reducing failure points as he is. His recommendations carry a lot of weight, IMO, and he hasn't let me down yet. One thing is for certain, he has more hours on Apeks regs (in overhead environments) than most. Maybe that doesn't mean anything either, I guess :wink:. Like I said, I don't care to argue about what he says or does -- he does a good enough job of that himself.

I love you Canadians :D. You can talk to one bunch that dreads the SP's and loves Odins, and another group that loves SP's and hates everything else. It seems to depend on where you live. Other than a couple of my buddies, I'm the only Apeks diver I know of in the UP of Michigan. You don't see too many up here yet as most shops are still selling Sherwoods, US Divers, Dacor, SP and such things. There's no where I wouldn't go with my Apeks regs. I wouldn't blink if I had to use SP's, but I really don't care for the Posiedons (yes, mine was tuned up, BTW) except for continuous, REALLY cold water (-32F) diving.

But you know what they say about opinions

Mike

Hey LD,

Yearly service and such things have more to do with this lawsuit crazed society we live in than anything else. Techs like it too. Have you ever noticed how many people have problems with their gear right after they get it serviced?

It's tough to find someone who will talk about it honestly, but it's really not needed.

Mike

It's funny you mentioned running a reg over with a truck. I talked to a guy who managed to do exactly that to his Apeks TX50 and broke the housing (don't ask me how). Apeks replaced it for free :thumb:.

Who's da rift raft? I normally like rift raft!! I think we need more rift raft on here. :D

:jester:

Mike

Yo KN, I heard you buy a dive trip to the Caymans for anyone reaching 1000 posts :D :wink:. I'm really cheap! Pllleeeeaaassse!!!

Somebody said my name?

I dive both SP and Apeks - specifically MK20/G250 and DS4/TX50. I own several of each.

They all breath just fine.

I don't do my own maintenance (usually) but I've not experienced any unusual problems with either.

The SP may be a tiny bit wetter than the Apeks.

I like the swivel. There - I said it - don't hate me.

Service in remote areas is easier (usually) with the SP regs.

I've never owned anything else, but if I were to consider it, I'd be looking at the Blizzard. Maybe the best of the really cold water regs?

There, now. That wasn't so bad, was it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom