Seasick help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not uncommon to have 6-8 foot seas here at times...needless to say, if I don't take anyting, I will get seasick to the point I can't dive.

I have found that if you start taking your seasick meds several days in advance, you seem to get better results.

If I'm going diving on a Saturday, I'll start the Meclizine (Dramamine) on Tuesday or Wednesday...just getting it into my system...getting my body used to it. 1 or 2 days prior to the dive, I'll cut out the pills and use the patch. No side effects at all...for me anyway.

Have been out in 8ft seas with no problems while everyone else lost their lunch...

For me, when I start to feel urpy (even with the Bonine sometimes) I focus on the horizon. Really helps me.

NEVER look down. Not for anything - not to tie a lace, not to read, not to pick anything up. True Story - I'm kayak fishing a summer or two ago in La Jolla with a good friend and Guide. I hook up a 17+ Yellowtail. I'm fighting this thing for like 10 minutes on 6# line and a live sardine, and I'm completely urpy (didn't think I needed Bonine on a kayak...WRONG. That's why they're called "yaks"...) but I'm not looking down - fixed on the horizon. Jim paddles over to gaff it, and says "what's up Stevie Wonder..." I'm totally fighting this thing like a blind man - not looking at the fish or the rod-tip - just 100% focused on the horizon... it was too funny. I look over long enough for him to snap the pic, then it was back to Stevie Fishing. Pic below.

I stay out of the galley - food (read: grilled cheese sandwich or the famous breakfast burrito) and diesel set me off. Even on land, the smell of diesel sometimes get to me.

That Kayak trip was the last time I urped. Been close to the edge on a few dive trips this winter, but never spewed.

What a girly man.

K

http://www.pbase.com/image/15065641/medium

http://www.pbase.com/image/15065644/medium

I second the suggestion of the bonine, seems to work for a lot of people that I know.

another thing that seems to work is a product called sea-bands.
non-drug based, they are a wrist band that has a button that applies pressure to a pressure point on the inside of the wrist.

A lot of people write them off at first site, thinking "that ain't gonna work!" but most of the people that I know have used them say that they help tremendously!

hope you get it worked out!

Bonine is over the counter. You can get it in almost any drug store, Kmart, Walmart. I run a 24ftr on the NC coast and with 4-6 people on board I can go through some in a hurry (8 to the box at $4-5 per box). I found a pharmacist that will get an equivalent product in 100 count bottles for a little over $5. A huge saving. I think it is actually the same manufacturer because Bonine has a raspberry flavor, not exactly a common flavor for meds and the stuff in the 100ct bottle taste exactly the same. Which by the way, actually does taste good.

Another thing that helps people on my boat is to have them drive. Don't know why but it is almost impossible to get seasick and drive at the same time. I about have to force people to drive some times but not a second time. If I have gotten sick, it's the only thing that will almost instantly make me recover. Not likely that a charter will let you drive but you most likely can get somewhere near the bridge and simulate driving. Worth a try.

but fainting might indicate that something else may be going on...

Before you rely on more meds, go see a physician (ENT or ?) and get a thorough checkout to rule out some underlying condition...

I've tried ginger tabs, peppermint tabs, wrist bands, dramamine, bonine, scop patches, combinations of all these and I can still puke if the waves are big enough...

See the Dr., then you might try the bonine the night before and the day of diving. I go for foods that are easy to digest- fruits, bagels, juices. Flat ginger ale and nibbling saltines works for some. No coffee, carbonated drinks or alcohol. Never do I have anything fried or greasy before getting on the boat. Stay away from the diesel or gas fumes, just a whiff does me in. Hope this helps.:eek:ut:

I,ve been the captain of fishing boats for 17 years on lake erie. bonine the night before will not hert you. Everybody has been giving you ideas that seem to work. So take your drugs the night before and when you get up in the morning wash down some crackers with ginger ale put your wrist bands on and you should be good to go. DON'T talk your self into getting sick. If it's a little lumpy on the water and I have someone being a pain in the *** I can have them sick in under an hour. If there hanging over the side I don't have to listen to them. Keep out of the fumes to but alot has to do with your mind.

Capt. Alfonz once bubbled...
If it's a little lumpy on the water and I have someone being a pain in the *** I can have them sick in under an hour. If there hanging over the side I don't have to listen to them.

Sooooo, how do you do that? It could be very useful,and I promise to use only it only on the scuba nazis. :spew: :eek:ut:

I use Bonine buy it at wallmart over the counter
also watch what you eat the morning of the dive ect stay out of the fumes and just relax most people who get sick are tighter than a stick plugging a hole .
they are uptight about the waves , boat who knows like other stated you can make your self sick just by thinking about it .
the seas off nc are allot of the time 3 to 8 foot range so just relax and start two or even three days before hand so its built up in your system !!!
and another key drink Lot's of water few days ahead of time make sure you hydrated real good just in case !!!!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom