seasigns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loquat149:
Is there a version of seasigns that only uses one hand when the other is occupied with, say, a dive light?

Dave

My husband and I have taken this course right after it was given at Dema a couple of years ago. Since then we've kept in contact with the developers who were working on a one handed version of some of the signs. It's been a while since we've heard from them, so I don't know if it ever was completed. You can contact them through their webpage here.

ReefHound:
Interesting. I didn't see anything on the PADI site about recognizing this as a specialty, though.

The bottom of the page after cliking "divers" on the seasighs page does say it is a PADI course, but I do agree, so what, do you need another certification to be able to communicate better underwater?

I think it's a great idea, anything to make diving safer and communications while under better is a good idea.

sharky60:
The bottom of the page after cliking "divers" on the seasighs page does say it is a PADI course, but I do agree, so what, do you need another certification to be able to communicate better underwater?

I think it's a great idea, anything to make diving safer and communications while under better is a good idea.

Yeah, that's my point, however small it is. The Sea Signs site made it an issue by touting it as a specialty for various agencies so I just cross-checked it to PADI. I'm just curious, if it IS a specialty why doesn't PADI mention it, if it is NOT a specialty why does Sea Signs say it is? I'm just trying to evaluate the accuracy of the Sea Signs website.

(You don't need certifications or even classes to enhance your skills and education. You don't even need a certification to provide first aid or rescue someone in distress.)

JeffG:
Well...It will get the diver one step close to his Master Diver Cert card.

Does it? Do all specialties count towards MSD?

ReefHound:
Does it? Do all specialties count towards MSD?

Yes, it does. Take your courses, fill out the form, pay for the extra card and get it. The MSD cert is nothing more than an extra payment.

Yep, before PADI added in the 50 dive requirement, it was possible to get a MD card with about 10 dives or so.

Hey Tony - I love the idea. I don't know what a class would cost, but for 3 hours I'd pay $20 to hang out in a bar or restaurant during a surface interval and talk about diving with divers and learn something (about diving). That's what I do during surface intervals anyway.

Thanks for all your thoughtful comments. I am going to start the ball rolling and see what happens. I can offer it as a PADI specialty but I would have to charge extra for one confined water dive and also for the PADI specialty card. Plus I would have to Pay Padi $150 just for the specialty rating. It is not really about making money. It is just to make diving here more fun and interesting than it already is!
Thanks

Tony

I'm an Instructor Trainer/Instructor for Sea Signs. It's one of my favorite (and most popular) classes to teach. Students generally leave the class wanting more.

The class includes about 120 signs that will enable you to actually have logical conversations underwater. It is PERFECT for instructors and divemasters to communicate. The current class focuses (not exclusively) on safety and simple commands/instructions. In speaking with Sea Signs, I know there is a followup course coming out shortly to complement the current course.

Generally, the class is about 3 to 4 hours long, includes an informative book (ebook) and DVD video. Most instructors charge around $100 for the class (depending on the instructor that could include materials or not).

When you become a Sea Signs Instructor, the trainer will send you an outline. You can then fill out a Distinctive Specialty application (for PADI) and become a Specialty Instructor for "Safety Signing Diver". If you advertise it as a PADI course, you must issue a PADI certification to ALL people in the class. I do NOT advertise it as a PADI course, however for those who interested in using this course to help get them to a certain certification level, I will send in the PIC for an extra $20 (to cover my cost of the PIC application). Believe it or not, about 80% of my students wish to be certified by PADI, in addition to Sea Signs.

Once a diver completes the user course, they will be registered as a Sea Signs certified diver. Sea Signs will send them a "BC Tag" that will identify them to other divers. There are about 300 instructors and about 3-4000 divers using the system. It has picked up a lot of popularity because of Sea Signs involvement in DEMA.

One of the posts said they would pay money to just hang out and talk diving. This course has that same sort of feel to it. Like I said, it is just plain fun. Lots of stories and lots of laughing.

The biggest issue is there are not a lot of instructors around. If you are interested, PM me and I will send you more information and try and introduce you to an instructor in your area.

http://www.seasigns.com

Hope this helps, jcf

Back
Top Bottom