Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a Great Lakes diver so everything I dive is cold. I have the Nova suit and I dive with 4th Element Artic undergarments for several years. I also have a heated vest under the Artic top with heated gloves to really keep me warm but the 4th Element stuff is great. I got the regular cut for the Nova and there is still plenty of room for movement. The only regrets I have for the Nova purchase is that I wish I got the telescoping option for that extra room for getting out of the suit after a dive. Getting into the suit is no problem but afterwards its a bit of a struggle to get the suit off my shoulders, telescoping suit would help a lot for that. Also based on me switching over from the replaceable silicone neck seal to a replaceable neoprene neck seal, I would not have ordered the warm neck collar if I was to do it again, the neoprene seal is warm enough as it is and the warm neck collar isn’t needed.

Warm neck collar holds hood's long "bottom" in place, otherwise the hood's bottom will be annoyingly tucked every time, or you need short hood (which is not good idea for cold water diving, imho).

I'm inclined to select the "Allowance for extra thick undersuits" option even though my local dive sites and typical travel locations don't require extra thick undersuits. Because I'd like the option to travel to colder dive sites in the future. So the suit would be 2-4cm(*) too big under normal circumstances, but how annoying is that really? As someone who has only done 3 drysuit dives ever -- always in an off-the-rack rental suit -- it's hard for me to evaluate what I'd be giving up. Is buoyancy control much harder? Are air pockets much more annoying? Something else?

(*): They add 4cm to the chest, waist, seat and body cord. 3cm to thigh and calf, and 2cm to the bicep.

In case it's relevant, I only dive open water currently. I might do basic wreck diving some day, but likely never cave diving. (Too many above-water caves I'd prefer to explore first.)
I chose that option and it is a bit baggy, but overall is not a big deal. I got the 250 gram and the 150gram (to make 400 at my core), but only used the 150 like twice as I just really don't need it. Still glad I added the extra. I figured it would also help if I add a few pounds at some point as well.

The eagle has landed!!
IMG_6843.JPG

I think the fit is great, but I don't really have a frame of reference. Here's a video: VIDEO
Suit and undergarments seem to be of excellent construction, better than expected.
Now just gotta dive it! :wink:

Looking fly! I love the black and white flag. Nice touch.

The eagle has landed!!
View attachment 704555
I think the fit is great, but I don't really have a frame of reference. Here's a video: VIDEO
Suit and undergarments seem to be of excellent construction, better than expected.

Man that's gotta be exciting! Few questions...

In the video / pic did you have undergarments on?
Was this made with room for heavy undergarments or without?
What type of glove system?
And lastly, are the boots attached or those over socks? Hard to tell when it's black, on black, on black, lol.

Great looking suit, congrats! You look like a little (big) kid on Christmas:).

The eagle has landed!!
View attachment 704555
I so don't like you right now

Man that's gotta be exciting! Few questions...

In the video / pic did you have undergarments on?
Was this made with room for heavy undergarments or without?
What type of glove system?
And lastly, are the boots attached or those over socks? Hard to tell when it's black, on black, on black, lol.

Great looking suit, congrats! You look like a little (big) kid on Christmas:).
Thanks, yes it's definitely exciting.
I did order the suit with allowance for heavy undergarments - I dive great lakes in Ontario, Canada.
In the pic I am wearing a 250g thinsulate undergarment made by them.
Gloves are Kubi.
Boots are built in tech boots.

Back
Top Bottom