Seattle Diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading some info on Edmonds, with those water temps, can I get away with a wet suit or should you really wear a dry suit. Needless to say, I don't own a dry suit and probably won't by then. Might have to abort those plans.

A lot of people here dive wet. Two dives may be out of the question, depending on your comfort. Maybe just a long SI to warm up would work.

Dry Suits can be rented (if you arre certifed) from many local Dive Shops.

If you do decide to dive let me know as I wouldn/t mind doing Alki or Edmonds.

Ok Mike...stupid question...you're in Indy and I'm in Chicago...are you going to be in Oregon in October? If so, I just may take you up on that.

scuba_frog:
Ok Mike...stupid question...you're in Indy and I'm in Chicago...are you going to be in Oregon in October? If so, I just may take you up on that.

I actually work in Redmond WA and commuite once per month to Indy.

Sorry for the confusion.

Mike...

scuba_frog:
After reading some info on Edmonds, with those water temps, can I get away with a wet suit or should you really wear a dry suit. Needless to say, I don't own a dry suit and probably won't by then. Might have to abort those plans.

It depends on the wet suit, and on your personal tolerance. Some people here dive wetsuits year round.

From my experience, you probably won't get cold while in the water ... but you might during surface interval. Bring a few jugs of moderately hot water (as warm as you can comfortably take it against your body) to pour inside the suit to keep you warm.

Some wetsuit divers also like to bring along a parka or other warm covering to put over themselves during the colder months. It's the evaporation of the water that'll make you cold. Any way to reduce that will be helpful.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:eyebrow:
NWGratefulDiver:
It depends on the wet suit, and on your personal tolerance. Some people here dive wetsuits year round.

From my experience, you probably won't get cold while in the water ... but you might during surface interval. Bring a few jugs of moderately hot water (as warm as you can comfortably take it against your body) to pour inside the suit to keep you warm.

Some wetsuit divers also like to bring along a parka or other warm covering to put over themselves during the colder months. It's the evaporation of the water that'll make you cold. Any way to reduce that will be helpful.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
On a busy weekend, the waters of EUP really warm up! :eyebrow:
And there's an espresso stand 20 steps from the parking lot!

Depends on what time of year, but since Edmonds is not that deep (about 25-35' you won't get that cold. I do it in a 6.5 farmer john and get a little chilly towards the 1 hour mark. Its that SI that'll make you shiver!

scuba_frog:
:11:

I'm still hoping to get dry suit certified before my trip. But it sounds like diving wet is not out of the question. Good to hear.

Responding to an earlier post, I was at Edmonds yesterday and the map of the underwater park is still on the wall. Had a great dive with some big ling cod. :)

Rachel

Rachel - I have never been to that part of the country. What was the vis...water temp etc. What type of exposure suit did you use.

And not to be a pest, are there any dive shops nearby that have scheduled dives and where I could rent the remainder of my gear (weights/tanks). PM me the details if you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom