Second Stage Leaking Air During Movement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XT balanced second stage manual attached for reference only.

Best not to attempt adjustment without having the tools and knowledge to check first stage IP and then properly set up and tune the second stage. I would not attempt to fix the leak by only adjusting the orifice. Inspect the low pressure seat followed by set up and tuning.
Not difficult, but important to do it correctly.

Thanks for posting the correct service manual. I am adding it to my files.

-Z

So the IP checks out accordingly to the service manual, I'm seeing between 137-140 psi.

I've also adjusted the orifice (the internal adjustment knob) to what the manual says (1.5 turns loosened from the tight position) and that seemed to help a slight bit but I noticed that little changes in that knob seem to make big differences so I'm keeping that in the proper adjustment for now and see if you guys have anything to say about that.

But one thing for sure that seems to be obvious now, the cracking pressure seems to be hit too easily where the movement of the 2nd stage in water can crack it slightly, releasing some air. Is this something that internal adjustment knob will fix with very small adjustments?

Also, I took off the cover, no signs of warping or drying out

You seem to be going about troubleshooting this well. The 1.5 turns is just a rough adjustment, final tuning is done using a magnehelic gauge or one can substitute submerging in a bucket of water. Proper cracking pressure is between .8 and 1.0 inch of water for your 2nd stage.

If using the submerging method, hold the pressurized 2nd stage with the mouthpiece side up, and the diaphragm level/parallel to the surface of the water you will submerge it in. Mentally note the level/position of the diaphragm in the 2nd stage body. Mentally note or mark your bowl/bucket at the 1-inch mark. Slowly submerge your 2nd stage into the water and note at what depth the diaphragm is when air begins to flow out of it….if it flows at less than .8 to 1.0 inches depth then your regulator’s orifice is set too sensitive. Adjust and retest. If you find 1-inch still too sensitive for your diving, you can “detune” your 2nd stage further but I would not recommend detuning by too much (let’s say not more than 1.5-inches). Be sure to press the purge button when turning the orifice in or out.

If the above does not work to solve your problem then perhaps you have an issue with the MP seat and/or orifice, or one of the o-rings….at that point I would either send it to Dive Rite for inspection/service or do a complete tear down and carefully inspect every part to ensure nothing is amiss and install a new seat and o-rings.

Hope that helps.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom