Second Stage Leaking Air During Movement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clifford Simon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
One of my second stages (Dive Rite XT) started leaking air from the exhaust/mouthpiece and wondering if this is something that warrants me sending it in or something that could potentially be a fix I can do.

When under pressure and not moving, it does not release any air at all... so I don't think it's an intermediate pressure issue. Only when I move it around in water, even the slightest, some air gets released. This is also with the adjustment knob turned all the way to release the least air. I'm thinking maybe that same internal spring needs to be tightened because it's too sensitive? Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Hello,

Simply turn in the adjustment knob. Some second stages are set to leak/hiss a little bit when the adjustment knob is turn open/out.

BTW, the adjustment knob does not control the amount of air, it controls the cracking effort.

Best wishes Jens

Generally, if you unscrew the hose from the 2nd stage, there's usually an adjustment knob inside, often adjustable with a flat-head screwdriver. In theory, it may fix the issue.

Please help us by answering the following questions:

1. Which 2nd stage, you primary or your octo/safe second?
2. Does it do this when the 2nd stage is in your mouth and you are not inhaling? or just when it is out of your mouth.
3. Is the airflow constant or intermittent? (does it burp air and stop, or does it start to flow and continue without stopping?)
4. How old is the regulator?
5. How many dives have you done with this regulator?
6. Has it ever been serviced? if so when was it last serviced?
7. What diving environment do you use it in (salt water, fresh water, boat diving, beach/surf entries and exits, etc.)

It could be that your 2nd stage cracking pressure is set on the sensitive side which is not difficult to adjust, but from your description this sounds like a new behavior which could mean that things should be opened up and inspected.

I have attached an older version of Dive Rite's regulator manual, it includes 1st and 2nd stages. The XT is newer than this but it should give you some guidance should you decide to monkey with it.

On the other hand, Dive Rite has great customer service, so give them a call and perhaps they may have some advice on the issue.

-Z

Attachments

• Dive Rite Regulator Manual.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 107
Probably your 2nd stage just needs a little bit of adjustment / tightening ( )
It is a very common thing.
If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself your LDS should be able to do this within minutes (unless it is due for annual/proper servicing).

I would still start by checking the IP, it takes a second and then you'll know for sure it's where it's supposed to be. There's really no sense in adjusting a 2nd stage until the IP is set correctly. Looking at the manual that zef attached, the 2nd stage is an unbalanced downstream with an adjustment knob, so it will react strongly to changes in IP. (I don't know if your 2nd stage is likewise unbalanced)

As Halocline says, ip gauge is one of the most important things to own if you own your own regulators. Don’t mess with the adjustment under the hose until you have some basic understanding of how lever height affects things. Your first step is to work down Zef’s list to give people here more of a feel for the condition it mat be in.

is your mouthpiece loose and does it rotate on the reg when you move your head?

XT balanced second stage manual attached for reference only.

Best not to attempt adjustment without having the tools and knowledge to check first stage IP and then properly set up and tune the second stage. I would not attempt to fix the leak by only adjusting the orifice. Inspect the low pressure seat followed by set up and tuning.
Not difficult, but important to do it correctly.

Attachments

• Dive_Rite_XT2_service_manual.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 184
Wow this is a lot of responses, thanks everyone

@Zef to answer your questions

1. Which 2nd stage, you primary or your octo/safe second?
It's the primary and only 2nd stage that is on my 40l pony bottle

2. Does it do this when the 2nd stage is in your mouth and you are not inhaling? or just when it is out of your mouth.
I tried this when I was on an actual dive and assessing the situation. My memory of it is a bit hazy now but I believe it was the same in mouth or not. If it's moving around, it'll release a bit of air

3. Is the airflow constant or intermittent? (does it burp air and stop, or does it start to flow and continue without stopping?)
It burps air pretty continuously if I'm shaking it around in water, as it it seems like the small change in water pressure of me forcing it around even lightly is making it burp. As soon as I set it down in the water, it stops completely

4. How old is the regulator?
About 3 years ago

5. How many dives have you done with this regulator?
200+ dives

6. Has it ever been serviced? if so when was it last serviced?
Last service was 6 months ago

7. What diving environment do you use it in (salt water, fresh water, boat diving, beach/surf entries and exits, etc.)
Salt water, 50/50 boat and shore diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom