Seeking Knowledge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwashbur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I just got my hands on this beautiful 19' 1978 Bell Boy boat with the 175 OMC V8 engine. It's been sitting for a couple of years and shows it. I can deal with most of the engine stuff, but I have one big problem: the steering cable is completely shot. Here's my problem: I can't find any info at all on how to properly remove this thing, and I can find even less on exactly what it is and how to locate a replacement. Ebay searches have returned prices literally ranging from $38 to $250. Because I have no clue what I'm searching for.

What I need is someone who knows a good bit about this stuff that I can ask questions of. I'm not looking for elbow grease, just information. I'm perfectly happy to do the work myself, I just want to be sure I do it right. Can anybody here help, or do you know of someone who might be willing?

Thanks!

take the cable off and measure the length or take it to a marine dealer and ask for a replacement..probably a teleflex steering cable..they usually get replaced every so often. My first one lasted just 5 years or so.my presnt one is still going strong at 22 yrs..it has to be the correct length for the boat.

Figuring out how I go about taking the cable off is part of the challenge, because this steering mechanism doesn't resemble anything in any of the manuals I've been able to find...

on mine it was to simply unscrew bolt holding it onto steering gears behind the helm and pulling the cable out.

The back end is what's giving me problems, because all the manuals I can find show the cable going into a gear box of some kind between the engine and the hull. My steering cable goes through the hull and operates a big mechanical arm that's attached to the actual outboard part. I'll try to post a picture later.

Here's the steering mechanism on my boat. Here's the outside, where it actually attaches to the prop assembly.

IMG_1795.jpg

And here's the inside, where the big red steering cable goes into that mess.

IMG_1796.jpg

And there's my dilemma. I can't figure out what comes off what to isolate and remove the cable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom