Semi-Dry Suits...thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used a semi-dry for a few years before I bought my drysuit and have to say it is a big improvement on a wetsuit, but nothing compared to a drysuit.

I dive in 10-15 degree water here in Wellington and use my drysuit all year round. The other day my wrist seals died and I had to send it away to get fixed. Now normally I wouldnt have dived but I had a class on this weekend so I had to bring the old Semi dry out of retirement. I was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't as cold as I thought I would be, but after two dives the thought of getting back in the water did not appeal one bit.

In 2-6c water I would run with the drysuit for sure!

Cold_Under_Here:
Have many peopled used these semi-dry suits? What are your thoughts? Are they much warmer than wets and less cumbersome than drys?...etc.
I dive in 2-6 C Canadian waters... Give me your experiences and opinions. ie. Should I considered trying one?

cheers!! :D

No question about it - dry suit. A "semi dry" suit is a wetsuit with a tighter seal. You still get cold water next to your body, you still get wet, you still get cold.

In those temperature waters a drysuit is the only safe and sensible one to wear.

crpntr133:
There are several thread about semi dry's here..just do a simple search. You will find that most will say if you can't afford a dry suit then go semi. I have the Mares Isotherm and like it.

Um - no, not even close. I think, like this thread would indicate - if you can't afford a drysuit, get a cheap rental wetsuit, dive the crap out of it, suffer like heck for the first year while saving your pennies. Or, spend an extra $100 over the cost of a semi dry and get a hefty-bag drysuit. But semi-dry's aren't worth the money.

(Former Isotherm owner.)

If you really have your heart set on a semi dry, then buy a drysuit. Eventually it will become a semi dry anyway. :D

Boogie711:
Um - no, not even close. I think, like this thread would indicate - if you can't afford a drysuit, get a cheap rental wetsuit, dive the crap out of it, suffer like heck for the first year while saving your pennies. Or, spend an extra $100 over the cost of a semi dry and get a hefty-bag drysuit. But semi-dry's aren't worth the money.

Now, wait a minute. It's not like a drysuit is 5% more than a semi-dry. More like 5x, and a significant annual maintenance burden. What does it cost to have new seals put on? Oh yeah: nearly half the cost of a top-of-the-line semi-dry.

I'm quite interested in this discussion, but it'll be more productive if we can keep a sense of fairness between the alternatives.

Boogie711:

(Former Isotherm owner.)

I purchased a Mares Isotherm Semi-Dry for $150. It has maybe 25 dives on it, and is in excellent condition.

I would agree that a dry suit is the way to go for those who want to do a lot of diving in cold waters. However for those of us who are diving mudholes in 55F water, the semi-dry is a MUCH less expensive alternative.

So if you know where I can get a DRY-suit for $250 please post, I'm all ears. However anything that I've seen even used in great condition run well over $500 (which is more like 3X plus the cost of my semi0dry) and the reality is that a good semi-dry suit is going to run well over 1K new, likely closer to 2K which is 7X-14X the amount I paid for a used semi_dry.

I got my semi-dry suit off a discount rack for $100 8 years ago, it is just now getting some tears around the seals. I figure 2 more years and I'll toss it out and buy another one cheap someplace. $100 divide by 10 years = $10 per year. That is probably less than the maintenence alone on a dry suit. It's plenty warm for the diving I do in Lake Michigan. And I didn't neet to take a PADI class on how to use it.

lairdb:
Now, wait a minute. It's not like a drysuit is 5% more than a semi-dry. More like 5x, and a significant annual maintenance burden. What does it cost to have new seals put on? Oh yeah: nearly half the cost of a top-of-the-line semi-dry.

I'm quite interested in this discussion, but it'll be more productive if we can keep a sense of fairness between the alternatives.

OK - it wasn't $100 more... ifor reference, I paid over $400 for an Isotherm several years ago. At the time, a Bare NexGen was between $600 and $650. My main point is that I would have been far better to have just picked up a cheap wetsuit and saved my money towards a drysuit. After all, let's be honest - a semi-dry is just barely warmer than a good fitting regular wetsuit.

And your seals argument doesn't hold a drop of water - do I need to explain why, or are you going to figure it out yourself? :) (Hint - what do both a drysuit and semi-drysuit share?)

Come on now, Lairdb - I'm quite interested in this discussion, but it'll be more productive if we can keep a sense of fairness between the alternatives. :crafty:

The Isotherm seems to be a popular choice for a semi-dry, why?

Back
Top Bottom