Semi-Dry Suits...thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like I’m in the minority, but I totally dug my simi-dry. Diving is Washington the water got pretty chilly in January and February, and the simi-dry was worth the extra bit just because it didn’t have as much cold water rushing in when I first got in the water, and it did lessen the water exchange. Granted I’ve made the move to the dry suit now, but if the higher cost of those are a bit much right now I’d say hit the simi-dry. Dive it for a few years and save the nickels and dimes until you can afford the dry suit, but a simi dry should get you through a hundred dives or so.

Boogie711:
OK - it wasn't $100 more... ifor reference, I paid over $400 for an Isotherm several years ago.
Ha -- perhaps that was before the light of SB illuminated ScubaToys: $310.

DUI factory second TLS350: $1600.

At the time, a Bare NexGen was between $600 and $650.
$649 at divetank -- okay, only a little over twice as much for a drysuit that many here denigrate as vastly inferior to the DUI; add $100 or so for undergarment at a minimum.

After all, let's be honest - a semi-dry is just barely warmer than a good fitting regular wetsuit.
Well, I think that's what the OP (and the lurkers) are trying to get a sense of -- where is the price/value curve.

And your seals argument doesn't hold a drop of water - do I need to explain why, or are you going to figure it out yourself? :) (Hint - what do both a drysuit and semi-drysuit share?)
Um, arms and legs? I'm not thoroughly versed in semi-drys, but I haven't encountered one that has replaceable seals or required maintenance beyond rinse and maybe zipper wax.

Really, Boogie; I think this discussion could be more productive if we can keep a sense of fairness between the alternatives.

Cold_Under_Here:
Have many peopled used these semi-dry suits? What are your thoughts? Are they much warmer than wets and less cumbersome than drys?...etc.
I dive in 2-6 C Canadian waters... Give me your experiences and opinions. ie. Should I considered trying one?

cheers!! :D

By all means try one, and then go out an buy a drysuit.

It's true that they're warming than wetsuits but not as much as the manufacturers would have you believe. In my experience even a semi-dry isn't much use in water colder than 8C and if you're diving in the winter (which is sounds like you are) then you'll regret not going dry every time you have to take it off post-dive.

In the long run it's better to buy the suit you really need than to spend money on the suit you don't really need and then end up replacing it after freezing your butt off for a year or two.

R..

It sounds like the drysuit is the ultimate way to go, especially as I'm considering doing some ice diving come winter...BUT... I'm not bursting with cash. Are there any decent drysuits for under $1000 that anybody has heard of or owned? (preferably 4mm crushed neoprene).

cheers :crafty:

Cold_Under_Here:
It sounds like the drysuit is the ultimate way to go, especially as I'm considering doing some ice diving come winter...BUT... I'm not bursting with cash. Are there any decent drysuits for under $1000 that anybody has heard of or owned? (preferably 4mm crushed neoprene).

I suspect you'll need a little more budget that that if you want a new one. Are you in Vancouver? Most of the diveshops rent drysuits there and there's a steady supply of 2nd hand suits as shops renew their rentals. Often they'll give them basic maintenance before they sell them and the ones I've seen are usually in decent shape. You can also get 2nd hand suits on the internet but make sure you check them out carefully first. Many of the ones on the internet are older and totally trashed.

R..

cnctina:
The Isotherm seems to be a popular choice for a semi-dry, why?
Advertising is the word that comes to mind first.
You can get a decent semi-wet suit for under a couple hundred bucks if you shop around. Heck, if you're the right size, we can fix you up with a 1-piece "semi-dry/wet" suit with attached hood for $175, and it'll probably even outlast the brand name suits.
The manufacturers would like to confuse you into thinking a "semi-dry" is on par & can be compared to a dry suit. Don't fall for it.
A "semi-dry/wetsuit" is just a wetsuit with some extra bells & whistles (internal cuffs & zipper flaps) to keep the water exchange to a minimum.

Cold_Under_Here:

I've seen a lot of - "Just Go Dry", but don't see any comparisons.
I find that the two are completely different at least for me - and used for different styles of diving.
I got into the drysuits years ago for underwater photo because working w/macro I was not moving to much to generate heat in my 7mm & started to chill after an hour in 65F / 18C, drysuit took care of that and was the perfect tool.

When I needed to swim long distances, get back against heavy currents etc. I found
it was far less than perfect because of inherant drag, overheating & the extra lead; in those situations I'd prefer to be more streamlined & also generated a lot of heat I wanted to dissapate.

I have several suits, 2 dry (DUI CF200 & Whites trilam) 7mm farmer & 8-6-8 Pinnacle extreme semi dry ...few others. I personally prefer to dive in a wetsuit when conditions warrant; I find I'm faster, more manuverable, less drag, no bubble management, no Inflator hose tapping off my breathable air, less lead, DON & DOFF faster ...and I could use my old favorite jet fins - wouldn't need to buy another set of XL splits to fit the DUI rock boots (but I did anyway).

However as many have rightfully stated at 2-6 celsius or 35-42F is generally dry suit territory even if your not doing multiple dives; 50F or 10C and a nice warm day - Again, I personally prefer my semi-dry. I have used my semi-dry in 49F / 9C, and quite regularly in 51-55F (140ft to get an idea of neo-crush) multiple dives and I'm toasty - but I'm moving too, generating heat.

When I'm top side and it's sunny it's great, especially on shore dives with a little walk; I'm laughing at those sweatballs who have to tear down their undergarments! But if it's cooler, I'm wet and the wind is up - guess who's laughing - not me, a wetsuit will give you the chills pretty quick as the water evaporates and you'll find you need a Jacket (Warm wind full length type)while diving dry you won't have that issue.

Taking on a chill during SIT intervals makes that 2nd or 3rd dive more difficult to get excited about in a wet or semi-dry suit, think of semi-drys as wetsuits with water management - seals warm water in very well - but your still wet; and they are not as warm as dry suits with medium wt. undergarments!

I love my semi-dry (semi-wet) in the summer but I don't think I would ever use my Semi dry below 45F / 7C in Fall / Winter (or if warmer but windy, rainy & cold) if I had the choice to go w/a drysuit, that's generally were I'd personally draw the line between the two suits.
Hope that comparison helps!
Oh and I paid substantially (2-4x) more for the drysuits than the wetsuits, the semi-dry was $500 spankin new, DUI will usually bust the bank at $2K+ new (Great suits though); if you have decided to go Dry & your looking at a good suit for reasonable price checkout BARE - they make nice suits for the money and you can get into one for a little under $1k depending on model & options.

Sea View:
I've seen a lot of - "Just Go Dry", but don't see any comparisons.
I find that the two are completely different and at least for me - and used for different styles of diving.
I got into the drysuits years ago for underwater photo because working w/macro I was not moving to much to generate heat in my 7mm & started to chill after an hour in 65F / 18C, drysuit took care of that and was the perfect tool.

When I needed to swim long distances, get back against heavy currents etc. I found
it was far less than perfect because of inherant drag, overheating & the extra lead; in those situations I'd prefer to be more streamlined & also generated a lot of heat I wanted to dissapate.

I have several suits, 2 dry (DUI CF200 & Whites trilam) 7mm farmer & 8-6-8 Pinnacle extreme semi dry ...few others. I personally prefer to dive in a wetsuit when conditions warrant; I find I'm faster, more manuverable, less drag, no bubble management, no Inflator hose tapping off my breathable air, less lead, DON & DOFF faster ...and I could use my old favorite jet fins - wouldn't need to buy another set of XL splits to fit the DUI rock boots (but I did anyway).

However as many have rightfully stated at 2-6 celsius or 35-42F is generally dry suit territory even if your not doing multiple dives; 50F or 10C and a nice warm day - Again, I personally prefer my semi-dry. I have used my semi-dry in 49F / 9C, and quite regularly in 51-55F (140ft to get an idea of neo-crush) multiple dives and I'm toasty - but I'm moving too, generating heat.

When I'm top side and it's sunny it's great, especially on shore dives with a little walk; I'm laughing at those sweatballs who have to tear down their undergarments! But if it's cooler, I'm wet and the wind is up - guess who's laughing - not me, a wetsuit will give you the chills pretty quick as the water evaporates and you'll find you need a Jacket (Warm wind full length type)while diving dry you won't have that issue.

Taking on a chill during SIT intervals makes that 2nd or 3rd dive more difficult to get excited about in a wet or semi-dry suit, think of semi-drys as wetsuits with water management - seals warm water in very well - but your still wet; and they are not as warm as dry suits with medium wt. undergarments!

I love my semi-dry (semi-wet) in the summer but I don't think I would ever use my Semi dry below 45F / 7C in Fall / Winter (or if warmer but windy, rainy & cold) if I had the choice to go w/a drysuit, that's generally were I'd personally draw the line between the two suits.
Hope that comparison helps!
Oh and I paid substantially (2-4x) more for the drysuits than the wetsuits, the semi-dry was $500 spankin new, DUI will usually bust the bank at $2K+ new (Great suits though); if you have decided to go Dry & your looking at a good suit for reasonable price checkout BARE - they make nice suits for the money and you can get into one for a little under $1k depending on model & options.
Wouldn't logic stand to reason that if you're 'comfortable' on a hard swim, you're gonna freeze your butt off when you get out and start the dive itself?

And if you're worried about a drysuit sapping your breathable air, well,...maybe you should work on your buoyancy control so you're not adding and dumping that much..

*shrug*

teknitroxdiver:
Wouldn't logic stand to reason that if you're 'comfortable' on a hard swim, you're gonna freeze your butt off when you get out and start the dive itself?

And if you're worried about a drysuit sapping your breathable air, well,...maybe you should work on your buoyancy control so you're not adding and dumping that much..

*shrug*

Certainly a good point but it's all relative, I just like to keep moving & find it easier in a wetsuit. I'm not "worried" about sapping air, I typically have more than I need.
It's just not an issue wet especially when I'm in an area that does not lend it self to a square profile dive.

Back
Top Bottom