Question Semi Dry wetsuit recommendation needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I’ve heard from people I know (less than a handful) they are great semi dry suits. You still get wet and cold though. I just looked up prices on the Seaskin neoprene suit. You can get one for about $775 USD with a few nice options, or about $675 with almost no options. Which is about what you’d pay for the Neotek. I know you don’t want to pay for a Drysuit class, if you know someone who dives dry regularly and is a seasoned diver, they could probably teach you..I took the course and it wasn’t hard at all. (This is not advice and you should determine the risk/reward for not taking the course).
I will look into the Sealskin Neoprene. I appreciate your input.
On the Drysuit, my concerns are not so much paying for the class, in comparison to what I have already spend on replacing all my 1990s era dive equipment with all top of the line Tech equipment in 2022. Then in 2023, baring the unforeseen, I expect to do the following TDI training classes
Intro to Tech
AN
DP
Helitrox
Trimix
and possibly Adv Wreck and Adv. Trimix, if I get sufficient # of dives in, which I think I will, but I have to see if the Instr I had lined up will be able to teach me in 2023. So, the last thing I need is another class, drysuit to take. I am also concerned about the suit deteriorating during long term storage as the years roll by. If a wet suit reaches the end of its service life, not so bad, much cheaper to replace.

Once Tech training is completed, I will start hitting many deep WWII East Coast wrecks on my list and posting AARs at trips end here on Scubaboard.

From what I’ve heard from people I know (less than a handful) they are great semi dry suits. You still get wet and cold though. I just looked up prices on the Seaskin neoprene suit. You can get one for about $700 USD with a few nice options, or about $600 with almost no options. Which is about what you’d pay for the Neotek. I know you don’t want to pay for a Drysuit class, if you know someone who dives dry regularly and is a seasoned diver, they could probably teach you..I took the course and it wasn’t hard at all. (This is not advice and you should determine the risk/reward for not taking the course).
Yes, the DRIS price for the Hollis NEOTEK is $675. Do you have a link for the Sealskin neoprene. Why is the Sealskin warmer then the Hollis ?

On the Drysuit, my concerns are not so much paying for the class, in comparison to what I have already spend on replacing all my 1990s era dive equipment with all top of the line Tech equipment in 2022. Then in 2023, baring the unforeseen, I expect to do the following TDI training classes
Intro to Tech
AN
DP
Helitrox
Trimix
and possibly Adv Wreck and Adv. Trimix, if I get sufficient # of dives in, which I think I will, but I have to see if the Instr I had lined up will be able to teach me in 2023. So, the last thing I need is another class, drysuit to take. I am also concerned about the suit deteriorating during long term storage as the years roll by. If a wet suit reaches the end of its service life, not so bad, much cheaper to replace.

Once Tech training is completed, I will start hitting many deep WWII East Coast wrecks on my list and posting AARs at trips end here on Scubaboard.
Get a drysuit. Period. The neo is great, the trilam can be better. Read through the forum I posted earlier on the Seaskin Nova.

Agreed. The Hollis comes in 9 different sizes. Hopefully one of them will be snug fit for me.
Anyone have experience with the Hollis ?
Used a hollis neotek lovely fit and very dry, water dams do work. But in 10c past 50 feet it's cold. I used it in 150 feet but its not comfortable. I'd love to have the freedom of a wet suit with the comfort of a drysuit but a wet suit for cold deep water doesn't exist. If you're semi dry you're still wet.

Since technical diving is in your future, a drysuit should be your first choice for redundant buoyancy. Similarly attractive for deco times with relatively little activity. I strongly urge you to get a drysuit.

@TravelGas

Many of us here made the mistake of buying semi dry or hooded vest etc trying to save money over drysuits, just to wind up getting drysuits anyway.

We are not being jerks, we are actually trying to save you money in the long run.

One of my drysuits was far from inexpensive, worth every penny still.

You will also find that the drysuit expands your dive season so you get a lot more in water time.

I do recommend the class if taken with a good instructor. Not very expensive and well worth it.

Intro to Tech
AN
DP
Helitrox
Trimix

If you’re going to be doing tech dives in cold water you need a dry suit hands down….you don’t want to be doing deco and shivering…it’s not only uncomfortable, but dangerous. Get a proper Drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom