Semi-live Trip Report Gc May 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the report. Glad you liked diving with OF. Heading down to dive with them first week of June. Third trip diving with them. I enjoy OF and the diving and vibe on the east end. Still has a feel that 7mb had 35 years ago.

We love the Caymans but it is expensive but there are ways to help reduce the cost as the OP is already doing. They are staying at a more moderately priced inn that is on the water but away from the Seven Mile Beach area. They have a full kitchen which makes it easy to prepare some simple meals and beverages. The hotel rental price includes a car and that saves on taxi fares and makes it easier to run to the grocery and liquor store and to visit the dive sites and enjoy the amenities and attractions of the island.

Diving is expensive but you can take advantage of package deals with a dive op and some of these packages include 2 boat dives and unlimited shore diving like at Sunset House, Cobalt Coast, and Lighthouse Point (Divetech). Some dive operators offer packages that include 4 boat dives per day.

There’s very good and inexpensive shore dives available on GC, like Turtle Reef, and it only costs $15 for a tank and weights. But of course, that isn’t the North Wall or the East End or the Kittiwake. You will need to do boat dives to visit the best sites.

There’s also great snorkeling from shore readily available on GC. When we visit the Caymans we prefer to dive the sister islands of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman and we go to an all-inclusive that includes the diving. Or you can take a cruise on the Aggressor. While we are on GC we prefer to snorkel and shore dive and maybe do a few boat dives, depending on the weather.

Yes, the Caymans are expensive but often you can find cheaper airfares from many locations. For some tropical destinations that offer cheap lodging and diving, it can be complicated, inconvenient, and expensive to get there.

The Caymans are also a safe and friendly destination. The food and water are okay to eat and drink. They have good roads and good health care facilities. English is the official language. They have good mosquito abatement programs and low incidence of food, water, and mosquito-borne illnesses. You don’t have to get any vaccinations or take preventive medications while you are there. Sometimes you get what you pay for!

Glad you're enjoying Turtle Nest Inn take a look at the condos for future consideration especially if you come back down with more people.

If you get the chance snorkel behind the Inn/Condos you will be amazed at the Marine life there.
Sorry I'm late replying, been busy diving. :) The ocean was flat the day we arrived and the couple next door said it was the best day snorkeling at the Inn since they arrived earlier in the week. Next afternoon the winds were up and the seas very choppy. Gave it a try but not much luck that day. Looked better this morning but no time today.

We love the Caymans but it is expensive but there are ways to help reduce the cost as the OP is already doing. They are staying at a more moderately priced inn that is on the water but away from the Seven Mile Beach area. They have a full kitchen which makes it easy to prepare some simple meals and beverages. The hotel rental price includes a car and that saves on taxi fares and makes it easier to run to the grocery and liquor store and to visit the dive sites and enjoy the amenities and attractions of the island.

Diving is expensive but you can take advantage of package deals with a dive op and some of these packages include 2 boat dives and unlimited shore diving like at Sunset House, Cobalt Coast, and Lighthouse Point (Divetech). Some dive operators offer packages that include 4 boat dives per day.

There’s very good and inexpensive shore dives available on GC, like Turtle Reef, and it only costs $15 for a tank and weights. But of course, that isn’t the North Wall or the East End or the Kittiwake. You will need to do boat dives to visit the best sites.

There’s also great snorkeling from shore readily available on GC. When we visit the Caymans we prefer to dive the sister islands of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman and we go to an all-inclusive that includes the diving. Or you can take a cruise on the Aggressor. While we are on GC we prefer to snorkel and shore dive and maybe do a few boat dives, depending on the weather.

Yes, the Caymans are expensive but often you can find cheaper airfares from many locations. For some tropical destinations that offer cheap lodging and diving, it can be complicated, inconvenient, and expensive to get there.

The Caymans are also a safe and friendly destination. The food and water are okay to eat and drink. They have good roads and good health care facilities. English is the official language. They have good mosquito abatement programs and low incidence of food, water, and mosquito-borne illnesses. You don’t have to get any vaccinations or take preventive medications while you are there. Sometimes you get what you pay for!
Agree with all the above except if the diving is better at the sister islands, well it must really be exceptional. I have been very pleased with most of the sites so far, especially the dives past about 50 feet. I have to say that the people here have been the most friendly and accommodating of any other place I have visited. We feel very safe, safer then some of our stays in the US and you got to love that the water is not only potable but good. Like Bonaire we keep a pitcher chilled in the fridge and refill our plastic bottles. You got to watch that Caymanian dollar though, very deceptive when you look at the posted prices. I know the difference but it still is a bit of a shock at the checkout.

Downside. I should have taken KathyV's advice and borrowed a GPS for the trip. The combination of driving on the left at intersections, hard to find street signs, tourist map with little detail and my navigation skills has left Eric a nervous wreck. I also strongly recommend anyone avoid the Georgetown area early morning hours or the 5 pm rush hour weekdays. After doing that Thursday I adjusted our plans to miss those travel times.

Now back to the report. Thursday we dove with Divetech. Dive sites Mitch Millan and the Kittiwake. The seas were like pool water and there was no wind, both very different from our east end dives. Enjoyed both dives. The Kittiwake is impressive and glad we did it but I think once will be enough, at least for a long while. Today was fantastic. Eric and I were the only divers. I offered to just do shore but Christian insisted so we went. First dive started at Sentinel Rock. We slowly made our way to Orange Canyon, looped around, then back past the mooring just a short way toward Big Tunnel before making our way back to the boat. Loved it. Next they decided to do a drift dive starting at Bonnie's Arch. It was another fantastic dive.

Now a little about Divetech. Loved them. Very different from Ocean Frontiers but just as good, perhaps in some ways more suited to Eric and I. More casual. Not in safety but atmosphere. When we arrived they provided a mesh bag for our gear then after the dive they stored it overnight. Had my 80's and Eric 100's waiting on the boat. They haul our gear but you are responsible for set up and takedown. Any problem though and they are on it. And a sharp sense of humor, just our style. Same approach of deep then shallow reefs. Manditory 5 minute safety stop. Oh, one down side. Dives are limited to 1 hour.

Thanks Matt, Richard and Drew for a wonderful 2 days of diving. And Christian in the shop for making it all come together.

Tomorrow? Afternoon shore dive. Either scooters at Divetech or head up to turtle reef.

Last edited:
Agree with all the above except if the diving is better at the sister islands, well it must really be exceptional. I have been very pleased with most of the sites so far, especially the dives past about 50 feet. I have to say that the people here have been the most friendly and accommodating of any other place I have visited. We feel very safe, safer then some of our stays in the US and you got to love that the water is not only potable but good. Like Bonaire we keep a pitcher chilled in the fridge and refill our plastic bottles. You got to watch that Caymanian dollar though, very deceptive when you look at the posted prices. I know the difference but it still is a bit of a shock at the checkout.

Downside. I should have taken KathyV's advice and borrowed a GPS for the trip. The combination of driving on the left at intersections, hard to find street signs, tourist map with little detail and my navigation skills has left Eric a nervous wreck. I also strongly recommend anyone avoid the Georgetown area early morning hours or the 5 pm rush hour weekdays. After doing that Thursday I adjusted our plans to miss those travel times...

I think that GC diving is great but I still like the sister islands better, and Little Cayman's Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson's Bight ranks among the best diving in the Caribbean IMO.

We totally depend on the Garmin GPS and car charger when we are on GC. Garmin used to have their headquarters on GC and they have the best maps of the island, better than our iPhone maps. The left-hand driving and the roundabouts can be very confusing and you are wise to avoid the Georgetown and West Bay traffic during rush hour.

At the TNI they post the cruise ship schedule every day and it is also smart to avoid the most popular areas when the cruisers are around.

In regards to the CI dollar, be aware that some restaurants (but not all) automatically add a 15% tip to the bill. Sometimes we decide to leave an extra tip but it can be very confusing with the conversion between US$ and CI$ to figure out what you are paying!

The Caymanians are lovely people, glad you are having a good time!

Last edited:
Too bad about the traffic. As much as we love tni i would have recommended someplace like sunshine suites in west bay if i had realized you were going to a conference.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Too bad about the traffic. As much as we love tni i would have recommended someplace like sunshine suites in west bay if i had realized you were going to a conference.
Ahh, no worries Kathy. Wouldn't change a thing except our travel times that first day of conference. After we knew the route, congestion times and conference routine we were able to modify our plans and since have had no problems. In the future we might stay part of the time at TNI then switch to Sunshine for the conference. Something to consider.

Sitting here at Divetech after my morning meetings waiting for the boat with Eric to get back. Thought I'd snap a few photos.

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken Sunshine Suites was just sold.........I hope they don't change the restaurant.

I am from NY so traffic is a way of life for me I just leave 20 minutes earlier to get anywhere on time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom