Sending $ to USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goalieboy29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey gang - trying to close a deal on a new dive computer but I don't know how to send $ to the states.

Most platforms seem to require that I have a US account.

Has anyone successfully bought something from the states here? If so please enlighten me about the transaction. Very frustrating getting anywhere so far....

Cheers

Hey gang - trying to close a deal on a new dive computer but I don't know how to send $ to the states.

Has anyone successfully bought something from the states here? If so please enlighten me about the transaction. Very frustrating getting anywhere so far....

Cheers
Transferwise (edit, now called just "Wise" Wise: the international account | Money without borders )is bank to bank with relatively budget fees. At least comparing to a bank wire which has stupid levels of fees on both ends.
Paypal doesn't require a US bank account on the sending end.

Cheers
PayPal is probably going to be your best bet. I’ve used PayPal when selling things several times on SB to buyers in Canada (I’m in the US). PayPal worked just fine.

I buy from the US quite often. Gear, trips, etc. I use Wise, Paypal, or credit card. Credit card whenever I can (stores like DiveGearExpress or DiveRightIn). I use Wise to send bigger amounts for trips and stuff. Paypal for places or people that don't take credit cards.

If this is something you do more than occasionally a US credit card is useful or otherwise PayPal if available.

Thanks gang. Probably a one off and I'm buying from a member not a store. Not sure how paypal works in that case but I'll continue digging. Wise looks to be relatively easy. Anyone use it? How was the process?

Thanks gang. Probably a one off and I'm buying from a member not a store. Not sure how paypal works in that case but I'll continue digging. Wise looks to be relatively easy. Anyone use it? How was the process?
PayPal is easy peasy. Set up your acccount and enter your bank account details to connect it to your account. Person you’re paying provides the mobile number or email they use for their account. You do the payment and PayPal lets them know once it’s gone through. Here in the US it takes two business days for Paypal to pull the money from your account. Recipoent then transfers money to their account from PayPal. There are no fees to pay someone if you’re funding payment with a bank account in US. If you use credit or debit card, there‘s a 3% fee or thereabouts. You have the choice of “friends and family” (no fee to send) or “buyer protection” (3-4% fee), which gives you protection if the item you’re buying is not as described or some other issue. I usually use buyer protection if I’m buying from someone I don’t know. The seller usually will tell the buyer to add the extra to cover buyer protection.

There might be bits that are incorrect in there, but that‘s generally how PayPal works.

One note of caution -- PayPal will ask whether you want to use PayPal's conversion service or your card issuer's conversion. I found PayPal's conversion rates atrocious (somewhere around 4.5% for USD-CAD). If your credit card provides no fee on foreign transactions, use your credit card's rate. In my experience, Visa-issued cards provide a highly competitive close to mid-market rate (published on their website). Wise provides a similar mid-market rate + a small explicit transaction fee if sending to a bank account.

Back
Top Bottom