servicing equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beche de mer

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone else had the experience of taking their gear in for a scheduled service in perfect working condition, and gotten it back defective? This has happened to me on at least 2 occasions.

On the first occasion the defect was obvious when I assembled my gear, so no harm done.

On the second occasion I had a slow bleed on my BCD inflate valve and didn't notice it until I was at depth. Couldn't work out why I was having so much trouble with buoyancy control.

It makes me worry about the possibility of more serious defects.

Right now my equipment is working beautifully. A service is due but I'm reluctant to take it in.

:rolleyes:

Thank God I've never experienced anything more serious then a reg that would free flow VERY easy. I just had the Tech re-adjust the reg and everything worked great.

If I were you I'd be looking for another service center or dive shop to take my gear to for overhaul.

Scott

Over the years I've now come to the conclusion that I don't get my kit serviced until it's broke to start with, which seems to be around 3-4 years of abuse.
The only time I've ever seen a reg jam shut was one many years ago when my buddy's simply stopped working 3 minutes into a dive at 27m, no huge deal we shared back up - it was it's first dive after service.
I've had a regulator free-flow on me in a big way at 68m, turned out the IP had been set too high. In the group I dive with, the only times we've had trouble with regulators it's usually immediately after service
After that they only get 'fixed' if theres something to actually 'fix'

I understand waiting to fix it until there s something to fix. Costs can add up and I suppose there is the potential to have it come back worse than when you brought it in.

Still, for me it seems like a good decision to have regular servicing. For equipment my life didn't depend on I would be more likely to wait for something to break. For a regulator I don't want to experience the problem while I am using it!

You're missing the point a bit - cost is not the issue at all. What caused the decision in the first place was the _only_ time I have seen potentially 'catastrophic' ( bit over dramatic!) failures of regulators is immediately after servicing.
In use regulators tend not to fail in any dramatic way normally, they just start to 'stiffen' a bit or if the high pressure seat is starting to go they start to bleed a bit, or a first stage o-ring starts to leak. If its a major problem, all my regs are the same, I can easily swam them around on the surface before going in - I keep a couple of spares in the box usually

You are writing from experience and I am from speculation (I am still new to scuba) so your arguments for your choice makes sense. Especially if you have enough know-how to check them out yourself every once in a while to make sure things are ok.

I have had that experience in other domains...like installing software that is supposed to make the system run better but the problems only start after the new software is in place...

My first set of gear leaked as a result of dealer misassembly when it was received brand new. His service a year later was even worse. After trying 2 other shops with unsatisfactory results (one marred a yoke nut using a crescent wrench & the other was just snotty) I went with DIY. Now I find, with good care, cleaning, and inspection, I can go for around 4 years or more between between full service with the philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The worst was when I took in 2 regs and they managed to mess up boths 2nds and one first - turned out they left an o-ring out of the first. I stopped going to that shop, they're out of business now.

I'd guess somewhere between a half and a third of equipment problems our customers bring to us are in gear that they say they just had serviced.

Often it is a simple adjustment, but I have seen instances where critical components were missing (spring missing in one 1st stage, the hp seat in a different one). Whoever took it apart didn't know what they were doing. I wonder if sometimes it isn't the customer lying - not wanting to admit that they opened it up and didn't know how to put it back together.

It is kind of hard to believe professional techs would turn out such work.

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...
I wonder if sometimes it isn't the customer lying - not wanting to admit that they opened it up and didn't know how to put it back together.

But is it really easier to believe a diver would f%$& with his/her gear, screw it up and not check it out and realize what he had done; and then take it for a dive trip to Grand Cayman?

I believe it is a minority of mechanically declined or careless techs who are putting a cloud over the good ones. And the industry works very hard to make sure the customer is as knowledgeless as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom