setting to nitrox to reduce over conservatism on dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO it is a baaad idea to fudge your puter. If you are unhappy with the puter, by a different one. OR pay 100.00 for some software and cut tables chooseing your own level of conservatism. You will be a better diver for the effort.
Eric

Thanks for your replies. It sounds like this is an almost completely novel response to conservatism creep in newer computers.

In this particular case, the diver was very experienced and in good health. He was diving every day on air. Conditions were warm water, good visibility and no current in a familiar environment. He just wanted normal bottom time, not extremely liberal or conservative. I think he just set the computer to 25% Nitrox. That gave him the bottom times he was accustomed to on the new computer.

Slippery slope stuff.... Divers with this approach should be left on their own. The moment you think you know what you are doing, that's when life will help you right :blessing: Cutting corners is the quick path to disasters.

....he has either made a improper selection of a PDC (if his understanding of the algorithm and decompression modeling tell him the PDC results are overly conservative), or he is deciding to play Russian Roulette....

As others have said, when you decide to ride the edge, your odds of falling are increasing....

+1 on getting the nitrox or get the computer that gives you the more agressive algo. You hire the computer to do a precise job - don't try to out think it. It's more complex than you think.

Just had another idea (lol) - he could use a 50cf tank then he wouldn't have to worry about violating the computer - hehe.

Before you decide to "cheat" the computer, it helps to understand what the computer's telling you. Conservatism is built into computers for different reasons, depending on the algorithm being used. Also it helps to understand what factors increase your risk of DCS, and apply that knowledge to your conservatism decisions dive-to-dive. You don't need the computer to tell you that ... you need to be able to interpret what the computer's telling you and adjust your dive profile accordingly.

If you're simply relying on your computer to tell you about "safe" bottom time, it's in your best interest to accept the built-in conservatism rather than looking for ways to fool the computer into giving you more bottom time. Otherwise you're just playing an underwater version of Russian roulette.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I prefer my instrumentation to give me proper information to the limits of it's ability, and I will decide whether or not to heed the advice it gives.

As many mentioned, there are a lot of choices when buying a dive computer, select the one that fits your requirements. It may be that the computer is conservative at the beginning to give more time with multiple dives over several days, that could be a problem if one didn't understand the intricacies of the algorithm that is being used.

To each his own, but bent is no fun.

Bob
------------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

As others have said much more tactfully, this is a monumentally stupid idea, trying to solve a problem that should not exist with a method that is fundamentally unsound.

A computer is doing an iterative calculation of nitrogen loading, and comparing the results with what it has been programmed to accept. Most algorithms involve a number of compartments with different loading and unloading characteristics; it is the number of these, and the assumptions made about their behavior, combined with a determination of acceptable nitrogen tension on surfacing, that ends up with the "NDL" that the computer registers. How the computer behaves over multiple dives depends on which compartment is chosen as the controlling one for repetitive diving. You would have to understand all of this for both computers, to know how to make one behave precisely as another, and I doubt it can be done.

Changing a parameter like oxygen percentage to make one computer "look like" another assumes that you are capable of knowing precisely what your profile was, and how that profile compares to the ones you did on the other computer. I suppose, if you dive a wreck and go to exactly the same places for the same length of time every time, you could adjust one computer to give the same output as another FOR THAT DIVE. However, you would have no guarantee that, on a dive with a different profile, they would continue to resemble one another.

Trust the computer you bought, or get another computer that you like better. If you start messing with the way this one works, it is no longer valid, and anything that happens to you as a result is on your head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom