Setting up twins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Niiice. Adjustable. I have the rubber band things and only use them to protect painted tanks, but I don't use them because I like inner tubes and they look less cluttered and cost a g'day how are ya. My Gal tanks with stainless bands, heaps of dives, No Rubber normal hosedown, bands off for yearly hydro Not one crumb of corrosion. Under the boots however is a different matter. Thats where the quick hydrochloric comes in. I'll leave the formula to you. When I use car tube I cut the bands a couple of inches wider because they stretch all wierd slip them on install your new masterpieces then cut rubber with not 6000000000psi to avoid cutting through the tank but you're smart rubber retains moisture for centuries. Which reg did you buy to match your other reg? Goosfraba.

My first reg was a Seac Sub Sorius. I matched it with a local distributor's reg, Aquamundo QR-5. Same OEM I guess.

Picture24.png

What percentage of HCl do you use? Will prolly hold off on the inner tubes:D

Yearly hydros? Dang, you guys from Oz got it tough!

Just and FYI. Maybe it's just me but your building a set of doubles up not twins. When people say twins I think that the tanks are independent from one another. Good luck with your project you seem to be saving a lot of money on the bands. :D

Doc before you assemble your set, take the valves off your tanks and put the bands on the tanks and tighten them up where they should be according to your wing grommet center spacing. When you have done this you can get a fairly accurate center to center measurement for your tank spacing. If your center to center measurement of the tanks falls within your adjustable range of your manifold your good to go.

I love checkered DIN wheels. Don't ask me I'm mental, shouldn't even mention the stuff on here, start mild. I've got tanks in QLD, NSW, and Vic, thanks for reminding me.
Twins. Twin independents. Maybe it a racial thing. Your dive flag red with white diagonal stripe. Ours half white with blue swallow's tail. I will learn to put photos.

Just and FYI. Maybe it's just me but your building a set of doubles up not twins. When people say twins I think that the tanks are independent from one another. Good luck with your project you seem to be saving a lot of money on the bands. :D

I think it's just you?? :wink: I've heard doubles, twins, twinset, etc used interchangeably between independents and manifold... but could be a local thing.

$30, nice work on the bands!

Doc before you assemble your set, take the valves off your tanks and put the bands on the tanks and tighten them up where they should be according to your wing grommet center spacing. When you have done this you can get a fairly accurate center to center measurement for your tank spacing. If your center to center measurement of the tanks falls within your adjustable range of your manifold your good to go.

Was thinking whether or not to quote this, but actually, by the time you posted I had already tried my bands... and they were 1/2 inch to wide. The manifold wouldn't fit! I initially specced it out to fit a 8.25" manifold, but for some weird reason, I decided to add an extra 1/2 inch. Not the fabricators fault, but totally mine.

Anyway, I called them up today, and they can adjust it (cut-reweld-add plate-buff) for 4 dollars. :D

So the twins are now done :D

PICT00382.jpg

So now I sandwiched my wing between the plate and tanks. I have a 30lb EXD wing which states that it is ideal for a single tank system. Comparing it to my other singles wing however, I noticed its profile to be a bit wider. With the option open to get a 40lb doubles wing later, I thought to myself "what the heck" and tried it anyway.

PICT00372.jpg

Threw the rig into the pool and added an extra 10lbs on a belt to simulate the weight of air in the tanks. Still have to factor in head weight, plus the weight of my regulators, but if it all works out, I may just defer getting a bigger wing. Will try it out in the pool with minimal exposure protection to see how it feels.

The way I see it, if it'll float itself and me as well on the surface, then its enough lift. I acknowledge that I might not have enough reserve lift capacity to lift an incapacitated buddy, but that's why I also have a bag :D

I think it's just you?? :wink: I've heard doubles, twins, twinset, etc used interchangeably between independents and manifold... but could be a local thing.

$30, nice work on the bands!

Doubles is a Yank thing, most of the rest of the world calls them twins or twinset.

What was the Churchill quote? "Two peoples separated by a common language"

:D

Back
Top Bottom