Sharing a Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know a gal that shares her dive computer all the time. When she dives with her sister, they share one computer.

They are, you see, Siamese Twins. Umm, ok, p.c.: Conjoined, but yes- using four fins.

Wetsuits are stupid expensive and hard to get on.

scagrotto, So you would agree that one computer between two divers is OK if you do it safely/conservatively? Would you stay 5' above your buddy's computer at all times or would both of you be 5' above the depth you put in your planned profile? Either way it breaks the strict no-share rule. I'm not saying I disagree.

Obviously Air vs. Nitrox or using 2 different people's computers doesn't work.
PM me if you get the chance about your Hudson Valley location as I'm in Croton 7 weeks each summer.

My last trip to Bonaire I lost a connector that I needed to charge my computer. I ended up renting a computer for the last two days of diving and both gave the same readings (must have cleared). My computer had charge till after my last dive but I'm still happy I rented.

I like the suggestion to gift a used inexpensive computer. That way it heads off any future requests as well.

1. Two experienced divers, safe profiles...I would not dive without having my own gauges. I would use my buddy's computer (husband only) for additional information.

2. If my computer died during a dive, I would continue and follow husband's computer, probably stay a bit above him. We dive the same profile. I've seen people freak out and want to end a dive because their computer failed on a regular, guided, Caribbean dive that could have been done safely on tables. These are usually people who run out of air long before getting close to any deco obligation. Or the ones who tell me that as long as they see the flashing up arrow they should keep ascending.

It's a computer. You have to know how to use it, to understand it, and to realize that it is just a tool. Computers crash and they can give you wrong information sometimes, so you have to have a backkup.

At this point, computers are pretty much affordable to everyone. At least if you are doing recreational diving. I'm not sure why someone who was going on an extended dive vacation wouldn't just buy their own?

At this point, computers are pretty much affordable to everyone. At least if you are doing recreational diving. I'm not sure why someone who was going on an extended dive vacation wouldn't just buy their own?
Agreed. Used computers can be found for way less than $100. My record low was an ebay dead battery reject for $35 (including shipping). I did have to stuff a $10 battery into it and wipe up lots of oil after the battery change.

Dive computers have become like wrist watches and cell phones. Everyone should have several.

Agreed. Used computers can be found for way less than $100. My record low was an ebay dead battery reject for $35 (including shipping). I did have to stuff a $10 battery into it and wipe up lots of oil after the battery change.

Dive computers have become like wrist watches and cell phones. Everyone should have several.

You can find NEW computers in the 125-150 dollar range on ebay and Amazon. Granted, they aren't feature rich, but I suspect someone who is borrowing a dive computer isn't really interested in anything fancy.

Because they are under age and new to diving and buying gear (even used) for a whole family gets expensive very quickly. Or maybe they just don't know if they want to because they haven't dove enough to be sure they'll continue diving. Lots of other reasons as well.

I
Here is the question, is it OK to share a dive computer between two person if one of the person is on the other side of the world, nice, warm, and dry, and not diving?

:dropmouth:

Yup you're good... "Sharing" has to do with two folks using the computer on the same dive, or sharing during repetitive dives where residual nitrogen is present in the people involved. As you correctly differentiate, you are "lending"... different fish.

Having said that, you might be wise to address the issue of what happens if something happens to the computer or other gear while it's under loan. What if the gear is damaged, lost, stolen or damaged? Do you expect the borrower to replace or repair the gear? If so, you should make that clear to them. They can easily rent a computer for minimal cost.

Many years ago, a lent a 15mm Nikkor lens to someone. He didn't soak it properly after a trip to salty water. When he returned it six weeks later, the controls were so badly corroded that the lens was basically ruined. It retailed for close to $1200 at the time. Awkward...

Re-prhase question-- I both of you are experienced and do "safe" profiles (square, shallow, etc.), would you dive following the buddy's computer without having your own, or a watch, depth gauge, tables?

If not, if your computer died and you had no backup plan would you continue & follow your buddy's computer or would you end the dive?
NOPE. No backup plan is a dive failure before I hit the water. Please shoot me now!

I have multiple sources of both time and depth.

Back
Top Bottom