Shark diving in Austrailia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

South Aus is where you will get what you are wanting - well as close to it as is possible. You are correct in your thinking that those first 5m are the most dangerous. There have been fatals on divers doing their safety stops. Diving on an overcast day in winter when the water temp drops to around 18 usually coincides roughly with sealions at Carnac in the water and the Salmon run so it is not a good idea. This year we had a great salmon run but we also had 2 fatals in 6 days and beaches are being closed regularly at the moment.

Im not ashamed to say I find sitting at 5m here during a safety stop if the viz is typically perth poor just a little eerie sometimes.

Time goes by so slowly......:wink:enjoy your sharks - I love them too but I dont wanna love them from the inside as well - for the record the one I saw did nothing....just behaved like any other shark swimming along going to I dunno a shark convention or something. Paid me no attention at all.
Yeah, after searching the internet for cage-less shark diving I figured there wouldn't be companies doing it, but at least I have a few areas to try my luck in now and that's interesting about the weather and temperature, I hadn't considered that. Heheh I've always found the big blue a little unnerving

Its not cage diving but in case you are interested in here in Cairns there are Coral Sea. At Osprey Reef they do a shark feed dive (no cages etc.) and you get to swim amongst a huge variety of sharks. May be worth checking out. Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom run these trips departing Thursdays.

Jump in the channel between Townsville and Magnetic Island and you'll discover the local tiger shark nursery...lol

Not organised, and you need balls of steel to be honest - they will go at you. But if you can find someone with a boat to take you...

That aside, the others who suggest the nurse shark diving at SW Rocks, the GW diving in South Australia, or the reef shark diving at Osprey Reef are on the mark.

Reactions: MA
Try Blue bay divers out of Brunswick Heads. They dive a spot called Spot x and have seen GWS there on numerous occasions. As a side note a fatality occurred at spot x which was believed to be a large GWS that killed a Scuba diver.

You can dive with tiger sharks in Fiji without a cage. It is almost guaranteed you will see one. Not sure of the location.

Best spot for grey nurse sharks is South West Rocks followed by any of the Solitary Islands, Byron Bay and Port Stephens (Broughton Island).

Back
Top Bottom