Shark diving in Bahamas question ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a video I produced for the Long Beach SCUBA Show this year about why I don't worry about diving with (most) sharks. It features footage from the Bahamas dives:

[video=youtube;6A0EKDX7DWw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0EKDX7DWw&list=UUNsNlOpytV0zid_Awi3FChg& feature=player_detailpage[/video]
Interesting that you brought up death by lawnmower. Believe it or not, I actually had a patient in the ER, when I used to moonlight, who had a lawnmower fall on her while she was loading it onto a pickup truck, catch on fire, and cause > 60% burns, which ended up causing her to pass away later at the burn center. There were some suspicious circumstances surrounding the death, as the husband apparently watched without calling for help but, death by lawnmower?

As far as shark dives, I don't think anything will ever compare after going to Galapegos. Maybe I will be satisfied with Cocos Island or Socorro. After having hundreds of hammerheads and Galapegos sharks literally swarming around you, there just is nothing else like it. It was so thrilling! Plenty of silkies, reef sharks and whale sharks to round out the variety,too.
I prefer the natural environment and in Galapegos, there are so many, so close that the photo opportunities are amazing.
Another unforgettable shark encounter that I had was a snorkel with an oceanic white tip in Hawaii. I would love to go somewhere to see more Oceanic white tips some day.

My Bucket list includes a Bahamas shark dive and also a great white live aboard in Guadalupe

In the Carribb. but not in the Bahamas and less known was the one shark dive I have been on in Roatan which I liked it was a feeding type on the bottom except not hand fed

Here is a pic of probably the biggest shark in the group of 12 to 15 said to be close to 10 ft with unfortunately a hook in her jaw and 20 ft of line. She actually stopped for a few seconds about 3 or 4 ft away so I was able to get this photo

Interesting that some have been diving in the Bahamas without seeing many sharks. I have not been there for 2 years but outside of Palau it is the most shark filled site I have been to. I have done shark dives with Stuart Cove and Unesco. Both were excellent. I saw sharks (primarily reef sharks) on about 1/3 of my dives there. If you stay next door to Atlantis there is a much less expensive motel and you can purchase a water park pass. That water park is waaay cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom