Shark diving in Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just returned from the Philippines. We snorkeled with whale sharks in Sogod Bay, South Leyte. Sightings are not as frequent as Donsol but the viz is great and we were lucky to have lots of time with several sharks. We also saw a thresher at Monad shoal and 20-30 hammerheads at Kimod shoal off Malapascua. Lots of white tip reef sharks at Gato Island. The week we were in Malapascua was good for hammerheads. Most of the groups that went to Kimod saw them over several days. Some had a great hammerhead past right next to them.

glad you had a good time janice. hammerheads? wow! at what depth were they hanging out?

Last edited:
We saw them in the blue off Kimod at around 40m. A few sharks seemed curious and came up to around 30m to check us out and then went back down. Unfortunately most of us were on nitrox and had to hang at 30m and watch most of the sharks below us.

Just returned from the Philippines. We snorkeled with whale sharks in Sogod Bay, South Leyte. Sightings are not as frequent as Donsol but the viz is great and we were lucky to have lots of time with several sharks. We also saw a thresher at Monad shoal and 20-30 hammerheads at Kimod shoal off Malapascua. Lots of white tip reef sharks at Gato Island. The week we were in Malapascua was good for hammerheads. Most of the groups that went to Kimod saw them over several days. Some had a great hammerhead past right next to them.

Great to hear about the hammerheads. I tried Kimod in March with TSD but it was a little early for much hammerhead activity. It was interesting to be hanging out in the blue water though.

The threshers put on a great show with 7 at a time swimming around Monad.

wow, thanks for the post Nishan. I had pretty much given up on Hammerheads in the PI.

Wow...any photos?

Jason

Went to your Flickr site - some great images there !!! Added you as a contact.

Paid for my ticket to the Philippines a few days ago, will be there Oct 10 to Nov 4

A few pictures and a trip report:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...lippines-trip-report-april-2009-part-1-a.html

I had also read the hammerheads had disappeared from Kimod but they are definitely around. Didnt get any pictures of them though. Saw them at around 5:30 am so the light was poor. Just enjoyed watching them swimming around.

Would have loved to see 7 threshers swim around us. The only one we saw kept its distance so only managed a hazy photograph. But then, some people go there and dont see anything so I'm not complaining:)

Back
Top Bottom