Shark etiquette

What would you do if a shark was aggressively racing toward you?

• Bump it on the nose with your foot or camera.

Votes: 66 32.2%
  • Stay still, meditate and lower your heart rate.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • Descend, back up to a coral and pretend like you're part of the scenery.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • Hit it in the eyes or the gills.

Votes: 37 18.0%
  • Swim towards the shark to show it you're the boss.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • Head for the boat as fast as your little legs can propel you.

Votes: 15 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow - Awesome pic Tavi!
If I was that close to a shark, seriously I don't know what I would do. Probably just be very aware of all my surroundings.
I think I would be more afraid of sea snakes though. I really hate snakes.

I think I would be more afraid of them too!! ( I don't know if afraid is the right word. I just don't like snakes)

As the shark came towards me, I remember having the thought: what's he gonna do when the flash goes off? :confused: Then I thought: I guess we're gonna find out!! :D

I've been to that site several times. It gets to where it's just cool to be around, and to watch the sharks, (and other divers reactions to them!!)

I would agree that for unpredicability, bull sharks are up there. However, there are probably more shark attacks by nurse sharks on divers. They are so docile that it is tempting to touch them. There is even one place I lobster where there are always 2 or 3 large nurse sharks in the same hole as the lobster.

Sometimes you have to "tickle" the sharks out. This particular area is made up of a pile of old empty concrete sewer pipe, stacked about 20 feet high. It's dark inside and the corals are open even in the day.

Unfortunately, if you move the shark to get the lobster, sometimes they turn and go out the way you've gone in. I've actually had them swim under me and can feel them slide past. Still have the family jewels. If you've ever had a moray eel swim through your BC it's the same thing. You just stay real still and usually, nothing happens but a rush when it's over.

If you grab a nurse shark and tug it's tail it will turn and bite. It usually locks on. I've tossed little ones into my lobster bag when I was younger and more stupid. It took a screwdriver and a pliers to get the mouth off the bag. When we let it go it turned and nipped the boat.

I've encountered makos while spearfishing and let me tell you, it's the spitting image of a great white except smaller and stubbier. Luckly we looked at each other and swam off in opposite directions.

I've had several bull shark encounters. They are sneaky. They will come up from behind or they will hang at the edge of visibility until they are ready.

My worst encounter was in Bimini. I ran into a 14 foot Great Hammerhead. It was nearly 3 feet from eye to eye. I was right next to the boat spearing fish. I handed the line to my buddy on the boat and he began to pull up the speared fish. The hammerhead started up too--in an aggressive posture. Needless to say, I started to pull the line down into the water to get the fish and shark away from me. My buddy on the boat wanted to know why I was pulling the line INTO the water. Try saying shark through a snorkel!

Then, my buddy offered me...ready for this...a speargun. What the heck was I gonna do to a 14 foot pi**ed off shark with a speargun?! I just wanted to be out of the water! But I also realized that I couldn't get out of the water fast enough without thrashing to avoid attracting that shark. So I just relaxed, let the speared fish sink to the bottom. The shark picked up the fish and swam away spear and all.

If any of you saw the latest Shark Week, this week on Discovery, you saw one of my dive buddies. Kent. He lost 80% of his calf to a bull shark in the Bahamas. The dramatization was factual and the wound was horrendous. The bull shark missed his artery by 1/8th of an inch. He really does get back into the water at Walker's Cay with 9 bull sharks 3 months later.

In nearly every attack or aggressive encounter, the diver manages to do something provocative to the shark. We are the strangers in this world. You should respect sharks but not necessarily fear them and try not to do the same stupid stuff I've done in my youth. Notice that in every one of my more serious encounters, I have been spearfishing, blood in the water or thrashing fish.

When I have seen sharks when I'm not spearfishing, they just keep on cruising.

Larry Stein

caymaniac once bubbled...
IAbout two feet away I used my camera as a buffer and made the strobe fire. When I did this it was like the shark woke up and spun around to get away. :D

Hmmm -- one of the Discovery Channel stories was told by an experienced underwater photographer. Early in his career, he was filming sharks and noticed one of them exhibiting some erratic behavior. He backed up against the coral and watched for a bit. Then he made a fatal decision -- he took a picture, firing his strobe. Immediately the shark made a beeline towards him and took out a good portion of the flesh of his arm.

It seems sharks are a bit unpredictable.

ET

Dee once bubbled...

That probably happens more than shark attacks do! :D

If truth were known, the divers that got 'attacked' had probably ignored the sharks warning signals, antagonized the sharks in some way, or even placed themselves in harms way by seaching out the sharks and entising them.... a feeding frenzy comes to mind. Sharks don't usually just attack a diver for no reason. We aren't food to them.

If you are going to dive in an area frequented by sharks, learn their behaviors, feeding times and patterns, etc. and remember you are in their territory.

Oh dear! I really didn't mean to say "divers attacking divers," although I have sometimes worried I might be attacked by my buddy (husband). HeHe!:jester:

Seriously, Dee, what experience have you had with sharks, and, since you selected, "none of the above," what would you do if you were diving and saw an agitated shark heading right towards you?? Also what behaviors in a shark give you the signal that they are, well, not happy?

DivingDoc once bubbled...
what behaviors in a shark give you the signal that they are, well, not happy?
Jerky swimming, rapid reversals, arched back, lowered pectorals.
Any or all of those.
Rick

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

Jerky swimming, rapid reversals, arched back, lowered pectorals.
Any or all of those.
Rick

The rapid reversals can be truely rapid. A big bullshark may not look very flexible when he's swimming in a staight line, but I wouldn't be suprised if he could bite his own tail.

Stone once bubbled...

The rapid reversals can be truely rapid. A big bullshark may not look very flexible when he's swimming in a staight line, but I wouldn't be suprised if he could bite his own tail.
Twice.
In half a heartbeat.
I can guarantee it'll get your attention.
Rick

If a shark becomes aggressive, keep an eye on it as you swim underwater back to the boat. Present a confident image. Do not swim quickly, but instead remain calm and graceful. Do not swim with your hands, keep them to your sides or clasped in front of you. This is not the time to be flapping them around. If the shark gets too close, get back to back with your buddy. Growling will often cause the shark to leave. Take off your BC and hold your tank in front of you. If he comes in for a taste, let him bite metal. Exit the water quickly, dropping your BC if necessary. You can always fish it out with a boat hook.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom